PDA

View Full Version : Question on taking in air for squatting

Butcher
08-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Right before I unrack the squat bar I inhale and exhale deeply a few times and try and take in as much air into my stomach as I can. I push my stomach out against my belt. Unrack, walk back and get setup. Right before I descend I try and take in even more air, without exhaleing and try and push harder against the belt.

My problem is with the second intake of air, I feel like I end up with less tightness. I havent tried squatting without the second intake of air, part of me thinks thats too much time without more air. Is there something I am doing wrong, or is my current technique something that just doesnt work for me and I need to find what does? Thanks for your help.

Ben Moore
08-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Try taking just enough steps back from the rack to clear the hooks. Then you should be able to go under the same breath.

That being said, you really shouldn't lose tightness by taking in more air. Could be a setup issue as well.

Lones Green
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
i mess up my air a lot of the times when i have to walk the weight out as well. you aren't gonna feel as comfortable with that 2nd gasp of air, because you have weight on your back. think about it, before you unrack it, no weight on your back. the second time, you've walked the weight out and now its sitting on your back. you want to get the squat finished.

the easy solution: squat out of a monolift

other than that, try to take your time and set it up right.