PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to whey & casein. Any recommendations?

areyouthere
08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi.
I am a Chinese, around 175cm and 110lbs. Skinny, yes i know :)
I've been fluctuating at around 110lbs for few years already unfortunately.
I used to think im the kind of person who never gains weight no matter how much i eat, but perhaps im not eating enough and not working out enough.

I'm looking for some drinks to help me gain weight. Problem is, I'm highly allergic to whey, and somewhat allergic to casein. I did test some time ago and measured my IgG and IgE. I'm also lactose intolerant. I know i'm sort of in a stuck position as most products contains whey/casein.

So, are there any drinks out there that suits my need?
I've seen some drinks labeled "Soy Protein". I wonder how it compares with regular weight gainers?
Are there alternatives?
Any one else has this problem or knows a good solution??

(I hope to focus on drinks in this thread. the workout routine could be discussed in another thread)

My aim is 130lbs.

vdizenzo
08-31-2008, 01:34 PM
How about egg protein?

40 Nunc
08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Egg and soy are about your only options as far as protein shakes go. Do some research and find a quality product.

A lot of people on this forum are lactose intolerant and there is a product they take to help with digestion. I don't know the name of the product but hopefully someone that does will post...

Spartan936
08-31-2008, 08:32 PM
130 lbs is a good goal. Make sure you are doing the big compound lifts... you want that new weight to be mostly muscle.

I wouldn't worry about making shakes. Without dairy the shakes would be pretty pointless. Stick with lots and lots of grains, olive oil, meat, nuts, veggies, fruits, soy stuff.... basically stuff your face with mostly healthy foods. If you keep it simple I promise your results will be better.

As far as your routine goes... I would suggest lifting every 3-4 days. Do 1 or 2 sets of squats, bench press, rows, pullups (or pulldowns), and overhead press. Again, stick with the basics. Make sure you are slowly getting stronger.

KoSh
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm allergic to dairy and eggs. Allergic is a bit different than lactose, taking a pill or getting a shot won't make a bit of difference to me.

I just got back on protein this week, actually. Went the soy route. From my research, soy gets a bad wrap around here.

I'm only going to be taking one shake a day, made with water in order to get to my protein needs for the day.

Unreal
05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, fish, crab, shrimp, lobster, etc. Eat it.

KoSh
05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Yup. I do :)

It's tough (and costly) to get to 188g of protein a day without a big jolt from something. The protein gets me there.

dropshot001
05-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Yup. I do :)

It's tough (and costly) to get to 188g of protein a day without a big jolt from something. The protein gets me there.

check out some vegetarian proteins.