PDA

View Full Version : Speed

cougar23
08-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Im a wide receiver on my freshman team and im trying to put together a good speed workout. I cant seem to find one though. Some people have said its better to do agilities to gain speed and others said working out. So i was wondering. What do you guys do to improve your speed. What exercises or agilities?

Willie
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Im a wide receiver on my freshman team and im trying to put together a good speed workout. I cant seem to find one though. Some people have said its better to do agilities to gain speed and others said working out. So i was wondering. What do you guys do to improve your speed. What exercises or agilities?

Running fast improves your ability to run fast.

While weights help improve power, nothing can take the place of sport specific training.

Do intervals.

cougar23
08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
What is that exactly?

Willie
08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
What is that exactly?

Intervals?

It's a series of all-out efforts with limited rest periods.

For example, my "interval program" for sprinting is very seat-of-the-pants.

I call it "8 straights."
On a 1/4 mile track, I start at one of the straight sections, with an easy two-lap jog. (1/2 mile).

Then, as I jog up to the point I started, I sprint the straight as fast as I can.
(It should be marked for you, if not, just guess).

note: AS FAST AS I CAN.

I then slow down and jog/walk the curve part, taking 30 seconds (not more, not less), then sprint the next straight.

I repeat until I have sprinted "8 straights." (1 mile, including the rest walks)

Then I do a two lap (1/2 mile) cool-down jog. A slow jog. Think "airborne shuffle."

2 total miles.

Note: I have experienced exercise-induced vomiting on the last two or three straights.

This is just what I do.
If you want to get fast, I'd suggest talking to your track and field coach.

cougar23
09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
thanx

Eric Downey
09-01-2008, 07:58 PM
If you have the financial freedom to do so. Have your parents find you a speed coach for a week. There is a form to running. Learning these tech can greatly improve your speed just fixing what you may be doing wrong.