PDA

View Full Version : is this okay?

erikerodri
08-31-2008, 01:41 PM
hi, i'm a junior in highschool that really started working out last year (2nd half of school) to kill my boredom. i used to work out with the school in my gym class but i never really improved my lifts. over the summer i hit the gym a lot and made a work out plan. is this any good? please let me know, i like to improve and learn.

Monday:
Warm ups: 2 mile run
stretches on machine, and regular stretches
bench press: 1X15 (bar), 1X10 (50%), 1X7 (70%), 1X3 (max)
alternating DB curls (each arm alternating of course): 2X10(50%), 1X7(75%), MAX (as many as i can)
dumbell curls with bar (alternating with db curls) 3X10 (50,50,75)
incline bench: 1X12(50%), 1X10(70%) 1X7(90%) max
Flys: 4X10 (50%, 60%, 70%, 90%)
ABS: 45 sec. front+side planks, 20 alternating crunches, 15 crunches. (repeat 3x)
Lat pull downs: 3X10
tricep exensions with rope: 1X10 (50), 1X10 (70), 1X7 (85), 1X3 (100)

Tuesday
Warm up:
.75 mile
stretch
3 sets of suicides on basketball court
Lift:
squats: 1X15(bar), 1X12 (50%), 1X10(60%), 1X7(75%), 1X3(100)
calf raises on angle leg press (with 135 each side): 1X25, 1X40, 2X50
angled leg press: 1X5, 1X7, 1X10
step ups: 3X15 each leg
seated leg press 1X12(50%), 1X10(65%), 1X7(75%)

wednsday:
1 mile on/off sprint
Dead Lift: 1X10 (50%), 1X10(65%), 1X10(75%)
power clean: 1X10 (50%), 1X7(75%), 1X3(100%)
push press: 1X12 (bar), 1X10 (50%), 1X10 (75%), 1X7(100)
swim laps (10 more each week than previous)

Thursday:
DB bench: 1X12(45 lbs. each), 1X10 (50s), 1X8 (55s)
dips: 1X10, 1X7, 1X5
DB military press: 3X7
forearm curls with db (3X15)
pull ups: 1X10,1X7

Friday: ABS, 1 mile bike, 1 mile run, 30 min. boxing

Saturday+Sunday off

I'm trying to get bigger and stronger for football.
oh, and i drink about 2 scoops of NOxplode creatine a day, drink 2 big glasses with 2 and a half scoops of whey protein and try to get 9 hours of sleep.
Opinions please?

TankOfTeamStone
08-31-2008, 03:03 PM
What position do you play for football?

Ryano
08-31-2008, 03:25 PM
IMO, if you want to get bigger cut out the cardio(running) prior to your workouts. Do the running on non-lifting days.

Chris Rodgers
08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
IMO, if you want to get bigger cut out the cardio(running) prior to your workouts. Do the running on non-lifting days.

Yea, stick to 3-4 days of lifting. Make sure you use basic compund movements and try and increase the weight as often as possible. Don't worry about the curls and all that stuff. Squats, deadlifts, cleans, OH presses, bench presses, rows, stuff like that. Eat as much as you can and then eat some more. Work on your running/conditioing at another time of day or on your non-lifting days.

Hazerboy
08-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Here, I'll start by saying a few things about what makes up a good beginner routine:

choose Big, Compound Movements over "isolation" excercises: Always choose bench press over pec deck, rows and chin ups over curls, and squats and deadlifts over leg extensions. big, compound excercises will work all sorts of muscles you can't even feel while at the same time making your body produce lots of testosterone and growth hormones. These are what make you big and strong, NOT the *pump* you get while curling or doing lots of reps on the leg extension. You can throw in some smaller, "isolation" excercises if you want and have energy afterwards, but don't wear yourself out or burn yourself up. Squating, benching, rowing, and deadlifting should be the core of your exercise plan.

Have a good split/training frequency: Less is more, and this is one of the hardest things for new guys to learn. Don't think that just because you're not always walking around sore or spending half your time in the gym you're not getting stronger and bigger. remember - you get weaker in the gym, you get stronger and bigger when you rest and heal. This you don't have too much of a problem with. I would definitely change your tuesday and wednesday though - you really can't deadlift very well if you're sore from squatting the day before. Either put them on the same day or spread the days farther apart.

Abbreviated training: More isn't always better. Get in, lift, and get out. Two or three excercises per movement (pressing/pulling with your upper or lower body) is fine for your level. Don't think just because your muscles burn or your tight the next day you're getting a good workout. Your workout is good when you're adding weight to the bar from week to week.

Other stuff: I noticed that you're doing your conditioning and lifting on the same day, sometimes even before you lift. Save your conditioning for in season and pre-season, and put it on your off days or AFTER you lift. Also, I don't care how in shape you are - a two mile run isn't a warm up, its a work out. whatever cardiovascular activity your doing to get the blood moving shouldn't tire you out in any way, only get you limbered up to smash weights. Jog for 5 minutes, jump rope, or do some pushups and roll out your joints. Save your energy for lifting, cause thats why you're in the gym.

Next, I would check out some other sample routines. Notice how they almost always keep these principles in mind - they prefer compound excercises over "isolation" ones, they're not int he gym all day long, and they rarely train more than 4 times per week. Joe Defranco trains lots of atheltes and has a great template that you should check out here:http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm . He's made some modifications (westside for skinny bastards 1, 2, and 3) but they're all pretty close to the same. Another of my favorite routines was 20 rep squats. This is what brought me from 135 lbs, 5'10 to 160 lbs, 5'10 my junior year of high school. Its real simple, old school, and it works:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm thats a basic overview, though If you're really interested I would read up on it a few more places (including here). There are all sorts of variations, and really the only thing they have in common is that you do 20 rep squats 1-3 times a week. Everything else is just garnish.

FINALLY, the most important detail, if you skipped everything else I've read PLEASE READ THIS IT WILL HELP YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING: the big "secret" to getting stronger and adding muscle when you're a beginner is to EAT. you're not eating enough. I know you think you eat a lot or enough, but you don't - if you did you would be bigger. To be big you have to eat big, you're not big, thus you're not eating big. All you're routine does is decide how much stronger you get and how much of that weight you've put on is muscle (though some of that is diet too). Creatine is great - it will give you more energy and help you have better workouts - but it alone will not get you bigger. Whey is awesome - whey will help you recovery faster and make a majority of whatever weight you put on muscle - but whey doesn't get you big. Food gets you big, there's no replacement. When I was trying to put on serious weight I ate 6 times a day. I remember cramming down cottage cheese before bed time until I almost felt like vomiting. I would smash down after school PB & J's like nobodies buisness, and run through Gallons of milk in a matter of days. Thats what you have to do. If after 6 weeks you've gotten stronger but haven't gotten any bigger, you already know you're problem - you haven't been eating enough. Thats it, plain and simple.

Good luck man, thats all I have to say.

-Trent

TankOfTeamStone
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
I agree a lot from input here, defiantly eating isa must. You should be doing a lot more sprinting then long distance. A lot of plays donít last long probably around 5 sec. or so. In the off-season do your lifting first then do your conditioning, do long distance one day, sprints and other day and then do some plyos like ladders and some lateral movements. After the conditioning days I would do abs. Stick to all the big compound lifts, there are some that are more beneficial then other lifts for your position.

erikerodri
09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
thanks for the help guys. i'm going for tightend hopefully or wide reciever. i'm gonna start conditioning on off days now. thanks for the help