PDA

View Full Version : My Shopping List

RedSpikeyThing
08-31-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm starting my fall bulk and would like to do it up right. Not just enough food, but good food with lots of veggies and fruits too, a la John Berardi. Here's my shopping list that should last approximately a week.

2 lbs spinach
2 lbs baby carrots
7 apples
3 pears
4 peaches
7 potatoes
2 lemons
1 bulb of garlic
4 bell peppers
2 onions
3-4 lbs beef
3-4 lbs chicken/turkey
3-4 lbs other meat (pork, sausage, salmon, etc)
1 lb walnuts
1 box high-fiber cereal
1 box green tea
1 kg oatmeal
brown rice
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
powdered Gatorade
lb cheese
2 lg containers of plain full fat yogurt
2 L 2% milk
1 package whole wheat pasta
1 can kidney beans

And here's what it looks like
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/RedSpikeyThing/P1010164.jpg

I also have fish oil caplets (taking 2 caplets 3 times per day), protein powder, flax oil and creatine. Any advice on what to add or remove from this list would be appreciated. This cost a little more then I anticipated and I would also appreciate tips on how to cut costs. I'm going to start by cooking a whole chicken instead buying chicken breasts. I don't mind eating like a viking :thumbup:

Reko
08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
lol, thats awesome. I wish SP would post the pic he took of our post Bigger Stronger Faster movie chow down at applebees with half priced appetizers.

got a multi in there? You probably have a lot of the bases coved with all the fruits and stuff, but I would still recommend it just in case.

Some sauce for the pasta maybe? Nice way to get some cals depending on what kind you make.

How much you plan on putting on?

RedSpikeyThing
08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
lol, thats awesome. I wish SP would post the pic he took of our post Bigger Stronger Faster movie chow down at applebees with half priced appetizers.

got a multi in there? You probably have a lot of the bases coved with all the fruits and stuff, but I would still recommend it just in case.

Some sauce for the pasta maybe? Nice way to get some cals depending on what kind you make.

How much you plan on putting on?

Forgot to post the multi, but I do have one. Had a can of sauce kciking around so it wasn't on the list :p I'm also a big fan of butter and basil on plain pasta.

PS Get those picks up! That would be a disgusting amount of food haha

I'm looking to put on 20-25 lbs. I'm at 155 now and want to get to 175-180. Should be a fun ride!

40 Nunc
08-31-2008, 05:14 PM
What, no Wendy's? I'm a "meatatarian" - it's a personal choice - gotta commit to it...

Looks good! I'm starting a bulk when I get from vacation on the 20th. Hope to pack on 20-25 lbs myself. Wanna race? Ha-ha! I'll have a similar menu. I'm lucky to have a Sprouts Farmers Market nearby. Beef round steak for less than $4/lb so I load up when its on sale. Chicken rarely goes on sale but I load up on it too so my freezer is full. Ground turkey also. There is a great turkey chili recipe in the "recipes" section. I could live on that ****!

Explain the benefit of the Gatorade. I see a lot of comments about it but haven't looked at the nutritional info.

RedSpikeyThing
08-31-2008, 06:23 PM
What, no Wendy's? I'm a "meatatarian" - it's a personal choice - gotta commit to it...

Looks good! I'm starting a bulk when I get from vacation on the 20th. Hope to pack on 20-25 lbs myself. Wanna race? Ha-ha! I'll have a similar menu. I'm lucky to have a Sprouts Farmers Market nearby. Beef round steak for less than $4/lb so I load up when its on sale. Chicken rarely goes on sale but I load up on it too so my freezer is full. Ground turkey also. There is a great turkey chili recipe in the "recipes" section. I could live on that ****!

Explain the benefit of the Gatorade. I see a lot of comments about it but haven't looked at the nutritional info.

Lucky you! Sounds like a great farmer's market.

Powdered Gatorade + protein powder = PWO shake. The bottled Gatorade (ie premixed) contains high fructose corn syrup, which is not good for you. The powdered stuff is more or less maltodextrin and electrolytes.

vdizenzo
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Looks like a great list. Good luck with the bulk.

Chickenlegs
09-01-2008, 03:55 AM
I'd add more milk... and no eggs?

RedSpikeyThing
09-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Looks like a great list. Good luck with the bulk.
thanks v!

I'd add more milk... and no eggs?
Sounds reasonable. I'm trying to chew my calories, rather than drink them for two reasons: 1) I need to stretch my stomach and 2) If I get sick/not hungry it will be easy to get in the calories by switching to liquid stuff.

As for the eggs, I don't eat foods that are used to describe my farts :moon:

Thanks for the input everyone!

bicca
09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I love fresh vegetables, the problem is that to have a continuous supply of fresh fruits/vegetables and meat you have to go to the grocery store every 5-6 days. I love pork chops, but if I eat 5-7 a day they're gone so fast. I recommend buying much more meat at once and freezing it.

cphafner
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM
That looks good. I might go do the same at the supermarket right now!

RedSpikeyThing
09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Just so you all know what came of that shopping trip, check out my fitday for today :) (That's September 1st, if it doesn't come up right)
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=RedSpikeyThing

Also, I thought I would be ****ting my pants with 45 g of fiber, but nothing out of the ordinary yet :redface:

Invain
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I gott say man, that's a pretty awsome diet! You're gonna have an awsome bulk if you eat like that everyday.

RedSpikeyThing
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I gott say man, that's a pretty awsome diet! You're gonna have an awsome bulk if you eat like that everyday.

It seems very doable so far :D The morning is a struggle but I find myself hungry in the afternoon, even with 2 hours between meals.
We'll see when classes start haha

Invain
09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Haha, same for me. I have plenty of time to make **** in my apartment right now but I don't know how well I'm going to be eating once classes start tomorrow.

RedSpikeyThing
09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Haha, same for me. I have plenty of time to make **** in my apartment right now but I don't know how well I'm going to be eating once classes start tomorrow.

fortunately I'm a graduate student so I only have 2 classes per semester. It'll be more like a desk job. I just hope I have a fridge near by haha

Lones Green
09-02-2008, 03:34 AM
nice shopping list dude!

ResistancE1
09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
You're missing 6 and 1/2 more gallons of milk...

Reko
09-02-2008, 11:04 AM
bulking isn't cheap no matter how you slice it. Milk I think is pretty cheap (get whole if possible, $4 a gallon here, for ~2500 cals), buy in bulk obviously, like the prefrozen stuff. It looks liek you bought the 3 packs of fresh meats, which will probably taste better but is usually more expensive than buying like a 30 pack of individually frozen kinds.

Do you have a Sams or Costco you can go to for the bulk purshcases?

Also, you didn't buy any butter. How do you expect your food to taste good? :P

RedSpikeyThing
09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
bulking isn't cheap no matter how you slice it. Milk I think is pretty cheap (get whole if possible, $4 a gallon here, for ~2500 cals), buy in bulk obviously, like the prefrozen stuff. It looks liek you bought the 3 packs of fresh meats, which will probably taste better but is usually more expensive than buying like a 30 pack of individually frozen kinds.

Do you have a Sams or Costco you can go to for the bulk purshcases?

Also, you didn't buy any butter. How do you expect your food to taste good? :P

Thanks for the advice dude. I'm not sure if there's a Sam's or Costco around but I'll look. That would be a good way to get the bulk packs.

As for flavouring, I have a very well stocked spice cabinet that is coming in handy :thumbup:

Reko
09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Spices are for cuts, butter is for bulks :)

borracho
09-04-2008, 02:52 PM
two big bags of boneless skinless chicken (not sure on the weight of each bag) and 6lbs of ground beef costs me about $42 @ sams...FYI.

Invain
09-04-2008, 05:14 PM
bulking isn't cheap no matter how you slice it. Milk I think is pretty cheap (get whole if possible, $4 a gallon here, for ~2500 cals),

Yeah honestly, I've yet to find anything cheaper than milk is, calories/cost wise. Even 4 double cheeseburgers off the dollar menu doesn't top a gallon of milk. If you can find cheap whole chocolate milk, you're talking an extra 1000 calories in a gallon.

Unreal
09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Milk was $2.50 a gallon last night at the store. Boneless skinless chicken was $1.69/lb. Cottage cheese was $1 for 16oz tub. Buy when stuff is on sale. I bought about 50 chicken breast and froze them. Seperated them into 5 breast bags, and defrost one every few days and grill them up.

RedSpikeyThing
09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Milk was $2.50 a gallon last night at the store. Boneless skinless chicken was $1.69/lb. Cottage cheese was $1 for 16oz tub. Buy when stuff is on sale. I bought about 50 chicken breast and froze them. Seperated them into 5 breast bags, and defrost one every few days and grill them up.

damn that's cheap. Chicken breasts were on sale for $3.99 / lb here :(
I will likely be adding more milk because it is cheap and easy....a cup / meal adds a lot of calories :D

Reko
09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
damn that's cheap. Chicken breasts were on sale for $3.99 / lb here :(
I will likely be adding more milk because it is cheap and easy....a cup / meal adds a lot of calories :D

4 cups adds even more!

2.50 a gallon unreal? Where the hell do you live/shop? And is that skim or whole or what?

Invain
09-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I just got gallons of whole milk for $2.77 each at Meijers.

Reko
09-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Even at sams whole milk is 3.60 or so, at most grocery stores the cheapest you will get is about 4 bucks here for whole.

Unreal
09-08-2008, 07:57 AM
That is any milk, skim, 2% or whole. SLC, Utah. That was on sale at Smith's. Normal price was $3.16 a gallon. Albertsons was $2.99 a gallon regular price. Chicken there was $1.89 a lb for boneless skinless breast. I got 3 more packs yesterday. Food must be cheap in Utah.