PDA

View Full Version : Bench shirt 101

chris mason
08-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Ok, time for all of you guys to help me. Justin Tooley and I trained together today and I tried on a bench shirt for the first time in my life. It is a RageX he got from someone and it doesn't fit me very well at all. I have no idea how a shirt should fit, feel, or how to adjust it once it is on. I also don't know the best way to get it on.

Please advise! You owe me! :)

Ben Moore
08-31-2008, 08:29 PM
hehe - I'm not the one to ask, but did you at least get video, LOL

Travis Bell
08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
it shouldn't feel real comfortable.

When you put your arms in the sleeves, your thumbs should be pointing towards each other. You need to pull the sleeves on deep enough so that they are seated deep in your armpits. The collar should be high on your chest. Do not pull it down as that will make it much harder to touch.

Once you get it on correctly though it'll be tough to give advice without video though. Get some video of you benching with it and we'll shoot from there

thewicked
08-31-2008, 08:37 PM
if it takes chris benching in a shirt to get into benching again..

I'M ALL FOR IT! HAHA

chris mason
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
I think I will get my own shirt prior to video :o). It was a sad sight, lol. How about getting it on without killing yourself? Are there any good tricks?

Chris Rodgers
08-31-2008, 08:50 PM
I think I will get my own shirt prior to video :o). It was a sad sight, lol. How about getting it on without killing yourself? Are there any good tricks?

Is it open back or closed?

Travis Bell
08-31-2008, 08:56 PM

If you are going to get one, get a double ply and get it open back

CR, the one they were using was a single ply closed back

thewicked
08-31-2008, 08:59 PM
hahaha i've had to help put shirts on highschool kids i've helped coach before.. and i'ts RIDICULOUS!

looks about as much fun as ****ting tacks...OPEN BACK ALL THE WAY CHRIS!

Chris Rodgers
08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
If you are gonna keep working with that shirt, I would cut it up the back. No reason to keep it closed unless you are going to compete in one of the feds that doesn't allow open back.

thewicked
08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
If you are going to get one, get a double ply and get it open back

CR, the one they were using was a single ply closed back

no one i'd recommend better than travis for this kinda advice chris travis is da man!

Travis Bell
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
If you are gonna keep working with that shirt, I would cut it up the back. No reason to keep it closed unless you are going to compete in one of the feds that doesn't allow open back.

Its Justin's shirt that he's planning on using in a meet somewhere in the near future so I think he wants to keep it closed until after the meet.

Ryano
09-01-2008, 06:17 AM
Chris, I'm going to have to go against the grain here. I think your first shirt should be a single ply. The stretch easier and are more forgiving in the groove. Lifting in a shirt will be a difficult transition at first and having a more forgiving shirt will make that transition easier. Once you learn the feel and barpath of shirt benching, you can always get a more advanced shirt.

As for putting a shirt on, I use mainly closed back shirts, both single and double ply. I can usually put them on with very little help. I have a loose Katana I can put on myself and easily get 150 lb carryover out of it. I put them on by turning them inside out first, put your arms in up to the elbows(paying particular attention to the seam position), pull it over your head and down. I usually need help pulling it down in the back & over my belly. LOL. You can seat the sleeve in the armpit by pressing your armpit over a bar on a bench.

In any case, welcome to the wonderful world of shirt benching and good luck.

vdizenzo
09-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I use open back shirts. With the exception of one shirt I can get them on by myself. However, that is not the norm. I would recommend starting with something that is relatively easy to get on. Like Travis said, get it seated in the armpit and do not pull the collar down much. Once you get comfortable you can pull the collar down to get more support out of the shirt. Hopefully Luyando will chime in. He is definitely a master at the new poly shirts.

chris taylor
09-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Chris I am sending you a PM about the shirt but here are some things we need to know to get the right shirt for you.

What style will you be benching like?
Are you going to keep it high like a BBer or are you gonna go low and bring it to the belly?
Can you arch? Have you tried to setup with one?

CT

smokinHawk
09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
talk to coach Wolfey, he will have you hitting 10lb PR's each session. :)

JayM181
09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
talk to coach Wolfey, he will have you hitting 10lb PR's each session. :)

Coach Wolfy is the man. He also has the best "board" lady in the business. Thanks for letting Angie hold the board for my last bench Mike. :):):) Next time I try that 500. Make her pull my belt down. That 500 will go up for sure!!!!

chris mason
09-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Chris I am sending you a PM about the shirt but here are some things we need to know to get the right shirt for you.

What style will you be benching like?
Are you going to keep it high like a BBer or are you gonna go low and bring it to the belly?
Can you arch? Have you tried to setup with one?

CT

I will try to give you a ring tomorrow.

I will bench with whatever style would best suit my bum left shoulder. I am just not sure at this point. What I am sure of is I would like to get my bench to something semi-respectable so I could at least do push-pull meets.

Chris

Ryan Celli
09-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Chris you can call me if you want. I'd have to see it on you to really tell you what to do. there's alot to it. The rage x is a hard shirt to use. I only have 2 guys that had any luck in one here at the gym. seems with boards it works real well, but after 2 boards everyone i've seen has trouble.

1. invest in some sleeve slippers from inzer. they are like nylons and help get the arms on.
2. keep the palms facing down while putting on the shirt.
3. keep the collar high.
4. make sure it's all the way up in the arm pits.
5. have side spotters
6. have side spotters!
7. learn to tuck in your elbows and touch it around your 2nd set of abs.

hope this helps.Ryan

Eric Downey
09-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Ok, time for all of you guys to help me. Justin Tooley and I trained together today and I tried on a bench shirt for the first time in my life. It is a RageX he got from someone and it doesn't fit me very well at all. I have no idea how a shirt should fit, feel, or how to adjust it once it is on. I also don't know the best way to get it on.

Please advise! You owe me! :)

I havnt read any other post so someelse may have said some of this.

as far as sizing goes: The rage x is a shoulder measurement. if you have a 50 get a 52. That way its not super tight and you can get a bettef feel for it. Getting it on is a matter of choice. I use suit slippers, but if its to tight you can use walmart bags. Adjusting it once its on is kinda tricky. Pretty much you wanna pull the shoulders back and get the top of the arm tube in to the arm pit. Also with the rage x you have to arch big and tuck your elbows and touch low. Just look at some of robs vids. Its a how to on using that shirt.

chris mason
09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Cool, thanks so much to everyone for their advice! I will definitely work on tucking my elbows and going lower. I will also get some of those sleeves and get a shirt just for me. I WILL get decent at benching again! Just for perspective, and for what it is worth, I could do in the low 400 lbs range totally raw when I was 20. I hurt my shoulder shortly thereafter and never got it fixed because I was just too busy with life and trying to make a living for my family etc. (I know, crap excuse. I should have just gotten it handled).

THE BRUTE
09-02-2008, 03:22 AM
WELL...at least you know its an excuse! but the following advices i would take heed on especially if your goin to be dealin with the beast known as the bench shirt...but your goin to like it for sure!
TB

waynedang
09-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Chris, welcome to the darkside!!!

ACaslow
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
aghhgghhgh, bench shirts.... I hate the things.... but they work ;-)

chris mason
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Chris you can call me if you want. I'd have to see it on you to really tell you what to do. there's alot to it. The rage x is a hard shirt to use. I only have 2 guys that had any luck in one here at the gym. seems with boards it works real well, but after 2 boards everyone i've seen has trouble.

1. invest in some sleeve slippers from inzer. they are like nylons and help get the arms on.
2. keep the palms facing down while putting on the shirt.
3. keep the collar high.
4. make sure it's all the way up in the arm pits.
5. have side spotters
6. have side spotters!
7. learn to tuck in your elbows and touch it around your 2nd set of abs.

hope this helps.Ryan

Ryan, I will try to call you this week. Lol, I am so slammed I never seem to have the time... Life sucks!

Chris

pocoloco blanka
09-03-2008, 12:38 PM
it shouldn't feel real comfortable.

When you put your arms in the sleeves, your thumbs should be pointing towards each other. You need to pull the sleeves on deep enough so that they are seated deep in your armpits. The collar should be high on your chest. Do not pull it down as that will make it much harder to touch.

Once you get it on correctly though it'll be tough to give advice without video though. Get some video of you benching with it and we'll shoot from there

i keep my collar as low as possible so i can get that extra pop at the bottom so i can carry it through to the top.

Travis Bell
09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
right, but you are at a little more advanced level in the shirts than Chris is. Pulling the collar down does get you some pop, but it slows the descent a bit so making it harder to touch

pocoloco blanka
09-03-2008, 09:36 PM
right, but you are at a little more advanced level in the shirts than Chris is. Pulling the collar down does get you some pop, but it slows the descent a bit so making it harder to touch

that would be correct travis. i guess i forgot about him not being in the shirts before. i see alot off people that bench big numbers in shirts and have slow descents. i have good spee:clown:d down so i can build up all the redundant energy for the push back up. that being said, SPEED WORK is very important for a huge bench...

RhodeHouse
09-04-2008, 03:50 PM
What's a bench shirt?