PDA

View Full Version : Bulk and cut?

Whuditdew
08-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Why can you not lose weight (fat) and bulk at the same time?

I am eating a lot of calories now but it is all healthy food low in fat and it seems to be working?

Does excess calories always = a gain in fat?

powerboy93
08-31-2008, 10:40 PM
no not alwas... if u eat above you limit just enough but no overkill then you should get heavier while staying decently lean.

Whuditdew
09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Can someone explain to me why you need excess calories to gain muscle? Why isn't it able to be done with just Protein?

Doobs
09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Why can you not lose weight (fat) and bulk at the same time?
Bulking necessarily includes gaining weight, so no, it's not possible to gain weight and lose weight at the same time.

I am eating a lot of calories now but it is all healthy food low in fat and it seems to be working?
Healthy does not mean low in fat.

Does excess calories always = a gain in fat?
Not always. People tend to have an easier time gaining weight without fat when they're new to lifting or undergo a major change in training or nutrition. When gaining weight, though, fat tends to come along in the process. It's nothing to be afraid of, you can get rid of it later.

Can someone explain to me why you need excess calories to gain muscle? Why isn't it able to be done with just Protein?
Fat and muscle both have stored energy associated with them. In order to add a pound of fat, the generally accepted number is 3500 calories that you have to eat in excess of your maintenance calories. The same goes for losing a pound of fat. I haven't seen an accepted number for muscle, but you can assume it's in that range. So to add weight, you need to consume more calories.

So why can't you just eat the same number of calories, but eat a lot of protein, making your body build muscle and lose fat? Your body is simultaneously adding muscle, adding fat, burning muscle, burning fat all the time. What you need to be concerned with is creating an environment in your body that's conducive to gaining muscle, so that after a few weeks of all those simultaneous processes going on, the total is a pound or two of muscle gained with minimal fat.

How do you make sure your set up to gain muscle? Your body will be in an anabolic state for a short period after your workout, but the best way to do it is to make sure you have enough calories at all times. When you don't eat enough, your body will do what it can to survive. Since muscle costs more to support than fat, it'll keep the fat and get rid of the muscle. When you have more than enough calories to go around, and you've been lifting with progressive resistance (adding weight to the bar), your body will use the luxury and create more muscle. So lift heavy and EAT!

Unreal
09-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Because muscle is not made of air. It is tissue and needs to be formed out of something. If you aren't providing your body with more calories then you use daily for energy, then it has nothing to work with to build new tissue. If you are burning 2000 calories a day, and even if you ate 2000 calories of nothing but protein, your body would use those 2000 calories of protein for energy to keep you moving and living.

If I told you to build a house and gave you 50 2x4s of wood, but you have to burn 50 2x4s of wood just to keep warm because you need to have a fire going, then what are you going to use to build the house? Now if I gave you 55 2x4s, you have 5 extra ones a day to start building.