PDA

View Full Version : deadlift style

xolix
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
hello all, how did you figured out which style is yours ?? i train both , sumo and conventionel , the difference is now , 25 pounds more with sumo stance . this is when i do deadlift-only or push and pull comps.

is this the fact to do it sumo ?

Chris Rodgers
09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Sounds right. I train both styles heavy with many variations. When it comes time to do a meet I use whichever style I feel I can make the highest attempt with.

Lones Green
09-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Sounds right. I train both styles heavy with many variations. When it comes time to do a meet I use whichever style I feel I can make the highest attempt with.

there you go!

Ben Moore
09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Chris would be a great guy to listen to on this!

Kenny-SFW
09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
hello all, how did you figured out which style is yours ?? i train both , sumo and conventionel , the difference is now , 25 pounds more with sumo stance . this is when i do deadlift-only or push and pull comps.

How tall are you, and what other movements do you do for your lower body. I would choose a style with the shortest bar path and set up your other movements to around that lift. try it for 6 months and see where your at. I pull conventional because of my height. I do a lot of work off a 3 to 5 inch platform (50-60% volume). locking out weight for me is not the issue, it's speed and leg drive. I suck at sumo, period not an option. Just pulled 700 at a meet in York Pa.

xolix
09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
How tall are you, and what other movements do you do for your lower body. I would choose a style with the shortest bar path and set up your other movements to around that lift. try it for 6 months and see where your at. I pull conventional because of my height. I do a lot of work off a 3 to 5 inch platform (50-60% volume). locking out weight for me is not the issue, it's speed and leg drive. I suck at sumo, period not an option. Just pulled 700 at a meet in York Pa.

i am 182 cm . i do the me day like matt rhodes raw squat article. and rotate every month a deadliftvariation ... ME squat 5 , 3 or 1 rm
deadlift 5,3 or 1 rm
hacksquats 3 x 8-12
boxdeadlifts 3 x 5
pullthrus 2 x 12
abs
DE box squat 8 x 2
speed pulls 6x1
hamstrings 4 x 6-12
calves
abs

AJ Roberts
09-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Pull which ever way you are strongest in a meet but train both.

SGT ROCK
09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Sumo dlers are born not made. Try both styles extensively and then pull the best way at the show. You must pull weights over 85 percent to get a true idea of sumo, light weights will fly, but can you grind out a tough one?

Semper Fi

xolix
09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Sumo dlers are born not made. Try both styles extensively and then pull the best way at the show. You must pull weights over 85 percent to get a true idea of sumo, light weights will fly, but can you grind out a tough one?

Semper Fi

yeah its true .. for example i could do 2 x 10 paused reps with belt only with 500 lbs conventionel ...and only 8 times on a sumoday , same weight !

BUT my singles are different , best sumo was 630 lbs and best conventionel was 607 lbs... thats why i am a lil bit confused .

SGT ROCK
09-02-2008, 03:36 PM
With that being said...go sumo.

Semper Fi

Kenny-SFW
09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Just keep getting stronger and keep pulling both ways, I'm sure at some point during your training you will find one better than the other. Stick with Matt's plan, it looks like a good template for your needs. Keep working hard.

ryuage
09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
ive always wondered myself...

will increasing your pulling weight on one stance correlate to any kind of increase in the other?

ACaslow
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM

nailed it....

train both, and stick with the strongest and most comfortable.

Chris Rodgers
09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
ive always wondered myself...

will increasing your pulling weight on one stance correlate to any kind of increase in the other?

I personally feel that it does and that is why I use both.

xolix
09-05-2008, 12:02 AM
i figured out yesterday , that, when i am using the conventional deadlift after my squat (matt rhodes raw squat program) i am stronger than sumo ...and when i train deadlift first or be on a deadlift meet , than sumo is better ...

BigTallOx
09-05-2008, 08:35 AM

For me it was easy, I'm more powerful pulling conventional. I still train sumo though too.