PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Understand Band Tension

cunniff1981
09-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I have some bands and have been playing with them, but am not too sure of the tension that I am ending up with.

I was using the iron woody super mini which is 5-25kg in a single loop. Now I was on bench and had them wrapped (or doubled) under a DB on the floor.

So does that mean that I have now from 10-50kg of tension at each end?? Totalling 20-100kg in total??? So at the top could be 80kg of tension or something like that???

Am I in the right direction or am I way off?????

Kenny-SFW
09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Who cares what the numbers are just lift with them. Find a tension that gives you resistance throughout the full range of motion, challenge yourself but donít kill yourself. If you have never worked with bands before start out light and have someone spot you. Unless you can work with someone with experience, your going to have to go it alone, work with them and donít over think it. Double up with the mini bands for your bench and wrap the other bands above or below the rack for other movements. Check out videos of other lifters using them. Youíll be fine, good luck.

Eric Downey
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
get you a cheap floor scale and weight the bar with the band at the heights you work at it at. Or you can go to westside-barbell.com and find louies article thats give you all the band tensions

cunniff1981
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
get you a cheap floor scale and weight the bar with the band at the heights you work at it at. Or you can go to westside-barbell.com and find louies article thats give you all the band tensions

That's not a bad idea. Will give that a go nextime I use them.

Travis Bell
09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Louie's articles refer to the Jump Stretch bands, not the Iron Woody bands so it probably won't be the same.

Just because you double them doesn't really mean that the tension doubles

Use ones that are light enough that you can get some bar weight on there for speed work and otherwise don't really worry about it too much

Kenny-SFW
09-01-2008, 09:15 PM
another way to get tension numbers is to measure to distance of the band from point of attachment to top of lift. lets say for example the distance is 5 feet. You could then hang the bands from the top of a rack suspended with a bar and keep adding weight onto the bar until the bands are stretched out to 5 feet. the weight on the bar will be the amount of band tension at that distance.

jbrin0tk
09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
oops:)

Darracq
09-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I have those bands, they will give 50 -60 lbs at lockout total for both bands, I have weighed them more than once lol.

Eric Downey
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
We use our bands for both speed and ME work. The ME work is done is the smith so you can just push and its safer.

Lones Green
09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
wish i could help you, but i don't know the iron woody bands.

vdizenzo
09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Kenny is right. If I am using 495 + doubled mini bands, that translates to 495 + doubled mini bands. There is really no need to qualify how much the tension equals. You only use bar weight in a meet anyway.