PDA

View Full Version : Zercher Deadlifts

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I tried Zercher deadlifts for the first time last week.

I hit 465 and I really liked the motion.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3NpG7DEPd4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3NpG7DEPd4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Do any of you guys do any Zercher movements?

AK

Chris Rodgers
09-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Nice lift! I like to do them from time to time. I like doing them off pins like that with no belt, they really hit my abs hard! I also sometimes walk them out and just do reps, touching my thigh with each one.

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Nice lift! I like to do them from time to time. I like doing them off pins like that with no belt, they really hit my abs hard! I also sometimes walk them out and just do reps, touching my thigh with each one.

Thanks, brother. :strong:

I was relieved my arms didn't come out of socket!

What rep range do you do them for beltless?

I tried Zercher squats, but I didn't like the pressure on my arms and I didn't feel I got much out of them.

AK

Reko
09-01-2008, 10:12 PM
From my understanding a zercher deadlift was off the floor, no?

Reko
09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
still a real strong lift regardless

Chris Rodgers
09-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I just call all mine zerchers.

Why did the zercher squat bother your arms, but not this? Aren't you holding the bar the same way?

Off the pins, I like working up to a heavy set of 5. Sometimes I just do singles though. I posted a video of me doing a partial zercher off the pins with 455x5. That was brutal on my core.

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
From my understanding a zercher deadlift was off the floor, no?

Possibly, but being 6'2" and inflexible makes hitting them off the floor an impossibility.

AK

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 10:22 PM
still a real strong lift regardless

After hitting 415, I saw stars for ~15 seconds and thought I might pass out.

465 was much easier on my CNS for some reason?

AK

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I just call all mine zerchers.

Why did the zercher squat bother your arms, but not this? Aren't you holding the bar the same way?

Off the pins, I like working up to a heavy set of 5. Sometimes I just do singles though. I posted a video of me doing a partial zercher off the pins with 455x5. That was brutal on my core.

I did Zercher squats for reps 3-5 and found supporting the bar in my arms to be extremely precarious.

When I did Zercher deadlifts, I did singles (after a few reps warm-up sets) and I only had to support the weight on the way up.

455x2 is great.

How high were the pins suspended?

AK

Reko
09-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I think except for midgets any type of zercher off the floor is ridiculous for just about anyone lol. I've seen video of the m done but that is as close as I ever got to them.

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I think except for midgets any type of zercher off the floor is ridiculous for just about anyone lol. I've seen video of the m done but that is as close as I ever got to them.

I honestly don't think I could do them off the floor no matter how flexible I am due to my height.

I hit them from the same height my deadlift stroke begins.

You should give them a try.

AK

Reko
09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I hit them from the same height my deadlift stroke begins.

Not a bad idea there.

Addison K.
09-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Not a bad idea there.

One of the reasons I started to do them is because I need to work on sitting back and using more leg drive when I deadlift.

AK

Chris Rodgers
09-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I did Zercher squats for reps 3-5 and found supporting the bar in my arms to be extremely precarious.

When I did Zercher deadlifts, I did singles (after a few reps warm-up sets) and I only had to support the weight on the way up.

455x2 is great.

How high were the pins suspended?

AK

They were up as high as I go. Definitely a shorter ROM then down to my thighs. Here's the vid:

UapBDNnlnM4

Lones Green
09-02-2008, 03:19 AM
i wanna hold it...that was a big zercher. kind of similar to a stone load huh?

=Travis=
09-02-2008, 06:31 AM
A zercher starts at a deadlift to the knee, the bar is balanced on the knee so that you can put it into the crook of the arm and then lifted up from there, then down the same way.
A zercher squat is just putting it into your arms from the rack and squatting down.
What you did looks like what I've seen called a zero momentum zercher, taking it from the bottom position of the squat and up.
You can use thin knee pads on your elbows, turned so the padding is inside taking the stress.
Check this out, Highland Games Pro referred to as the Mayor of Zercherville in HG circles:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdylzDG17KA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdylzDG17KA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BULK_BOY
09-02-2008, 08:31 AM
I tried Zercher deadlifts for the first time last week.

I hit 465 and I really liked the motion.

Do any of you guys do any Zercher movements?

AK

Nice Job A.K.

I do Zerchers in the rack too. Usually sets of 5 ATG. I also do Concentric Speed Zerchers from dead bottom up. (with a lot lighter weight of course)

BTW, I use a towel wrapped around the bar to protect my arms.

Cheers.

Travis Bell
09-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Craig Smith does some stupid strong Zerchers

Lones Green
09-02-2008, 12:15 PM
A zercher starts at a deadlift to the knee, the bar is balanced on the knee so that you can put it into the crook of the arm and then lifted up from there, then down the same way.
A zercher squat is just putting it into your arms from the rack and squatting down.
What you did looks like what I've seen called a zero momentum zercher, taking it from the bottom position of the squat and up.
You can use thin knee pads on your elbows, turned so the padding is inside taking the stress.
Check this out, Highland Games Pro referred to as the Mayor of Zercherville in HG circles:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdylzDG17KA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdylzDG17KA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i saw that video when i first started looking them up and doing zerchers, blew my mind

i'm like chris though, i call all mine "zerchers" zerchers from pins, zerchers from pins, walked out, etc....they are all good

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 01:03 PM
They were up as high as I go. Definitely a shorter ROM then down to my thighs. Here's the vid:

UapBDNnlnM4

Great video, brother. :strong:

I've never seen the chains placed inside the plates on a bar, do you like the feel better?

And, I like in true powerlifter fashion how the coach is place right next to the platform so you can quickly sit down after your set!

AK

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM

Crazy video.

I think I'm to stick with zero-momentum Zerchers.

I kinda cringed watching the guy hit his set with 605.

AK

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Nice Job A.K.

I do Zerchers in the rack too. Usually sets of 5 ATG. I also do Concentric Speed Zerchers from dead bottom up. (with a lot lighter weight of course)

BTW, I use a towel wrapped around the bar to protect my arms.

Cheers.

When I did Zercher squats, I stopped when my elbows hit my knees.

I'll wrap a towel around the bar next time I do them.

AK

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Craig Smith does some stupid strong Zerchers

Travis, do you see many guys doing Zercher movements at Westside?

AK

KarstenDD
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM

UapBDNnlnM4

That coaches upholstery just screams tacky. Oh, and Zercher anythings are beastful.

Addison K.
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
That coaches upholstery just screams tacky. Oh, and Zercher anythings are beastful.

Some how I missed this. :confused:

AK

KarstenDD
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Some how I missed this. :confused:

AK

I'm bad at somethings. like spelling. or book learnins.

plus isn't it the thought that counts?

mikesbytes
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM

When I did Zercher squats, I stopped when my elbows hit my knees.

I'll wrap a towel around the bar next time I do them.

AK

What I did was bring my elbows out further so they cleared my legs. Because I have long Humerus, touching elbow to knee just killed off too much ROM and because I can't lift as much as you guys, I can get away with the elbows being further out.

thewicked
09-03-2008, 11:23 PM
do them lower.. you'll get more out of them. Do them from the pins at the bottom of where your squat is at and you'll really get some benefits from them. I recently started doing them myself and LOVE them.