PDA

View Full Version : concentric good mornings

BigTallOx
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Do you have to use a safety squat bar when doing concentric good mornings? I don't have access to a SSB, but would like to start doing concentric good mornings. It seems that if I were to do them with a straight bar off the pins of a power rack, my hands/fingers would be near the pins and could get in the way when bringing the weight down. It also seems like it could put a lot of stress on the shoulders. Has anybody tried doing them with a top squat bar (http://topsquat.com/)? That's a lot cheaper, and easier to bring into the gym, then a safety squat bar.

Ben Moore
09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Do them hanging from chains - you're able to get yourself in a much better position.

WillNoble
09-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Do them hanging from chains - you're able to get yourself in a much better position.

try to get them as low as possible if using a straight bar, if you do them in this fashion.

jbrin0tk
09-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but what is the point of a concentric good morning? I'm not knocking its effectiveness, as I don't know anything about it. I'm just wondering why they may be more beneficial than a standard good morning. Thanks, guys.

bigmoney
09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Strengthens the whole posterior chain very well. Also, it teaches you to strain against maximal weights. Personally, I think regular GM's might be better (at least for me) for the fact that you have to fight to keep your arch during the movement. But these are one of my favorite lower body exercises.

BigTallOx
09-02-2008, 10:26 PM

I'm not sure if my gym will let me do this ( I suspect not, but I'll find out ).

Thanks.

Lones Green
09-03-2008, 03:20 AM
i have done them with a straight bar off low pins, it definetely is hard to get set up, but do-able. suspended GMs are a lot more efficient.

Cricket_Fire
09-03-2008, 04:07 AM
If youre doing them off pins, you might be better off walking it out, going down to the pins, waiting a few seconds, then going up. I find it near impossible to get into position with the bar on low pins. Hanging in chains is fine for me though, so I use them.

ehubbard
09-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but what is the point of a concentric good morning? I'm not knocking its effectiveness, as I don't know anything about it. I'm just wondering why they may be more beneficial than a standard good morning. Thanks, guys.

One other thing that makes the concentric version effective is that you are performing the exercise from the exact same height on each rep so you take away some of the cheat factor which is common on regular good mornings.

ehubbard
09-03-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm not sure if my gym will let me do this ( I suspect not, but I'll find out ).

Thanks.

Find a new gym.

AdamBAG
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I feel like a concentric good morning replicates deadlifting. Really makes you strain to break the bar off the chains.