PDA

View Full Version : Times of Whey Protein Ingestion?

jtrink
09-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm going to try this routine of ingestion on days I workout:

1) Take Protein in morning with breakfast

2) Take Protein After Workout

3)Take Protein before Bed

Anyone have a proven schedule that works the best?

Brad08
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Anyone have a proven schedule that works the best?

Yes.

1) Take protein all day.

2) Take protein when hungry/thirsty.

3) Take protein when not hungry/thirsty.

4) If you run out of protein, order a sack of double cheeseburgers from the value menu at BK or McDs ($1 each).

=Travis=
09-03-2008, 09:31 AM
On workout days I have 2 scoops of protein with oatmeal for breakfast at 6:30ish, 2 scoops around 9:30, lunch about 11:30-12:00, 2 scoops around 3, I lift at 5 and have 2 scoops when I get home from the gym, dinner shortly after and then 2 scoops right before I go to bed. You may not want 2 scoops if you're a little guy, it'll depend on your protein needs.

ResistancE1
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
A good general rule of thumb is to drink a shake between breakfast and lunch, and then also between lunch and dinner.

A shake at night before you go to bed is also a good idea, but for a lot of us out there whey protein isn't exactly what I would call cheap.

jtrink
09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
A good general rule of thumb is to drink a shake between breakfast and lunch, and then also between lunch and dinner.

A shake at night before you go to bed is also a good idea, but for a lot of us out there whey protein isn't exactly what I would call cheap.

haha yeh i know what you mean. My plan is to take 1 1/2 scoops three times a day. Which would equal close to 115 grams of whey protein a day. My diet is also rich with protein: milk, chicken breasts, tuna fish, peanut butter, and other lean foods. I guess it would be a better idea to spread the protein ingestion throughout the day.

A couple of my friends say its best to just take protein before a workout and after. I tried that for a few months, but i think spreading it out throughout the day would work best. What do you guys think?

Maybe a schedule like this:

1 serving in the morning
1 serving pre-workout
1 1/2 servings post workout
1 serving before bed

= appx. 115 grams per workout day

=Travis=
09-03-2008, 10:30 AM
That doesn't look bad, how big are you? Protein requirements are based upon your size. I wouldn't recomment a guy who is 150 pounds to take the amount of protein I ingest at 320 pounds.

Reko
09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
haha yeh i know what you mean. My plan is to take 1 1/2 scoops three times a day. Which would equal close to 115 grams of whey protein a day. My diet is also rich with protein: milk, chicken breasts, tuna fish, peanut butter, and other lean foods. I guess it would be a better idea to spread the protein ingestion throughout the day.

A couple of my friends say its best to just take protein before a workout and after. I tried that for a few months, but i think spreading it out throughout the day would work best. What do you guys think?

Maybe a schedule like this:

1 serving in the morning
1 serving pre-workout
1 1/2 servings post workout
1 serving before bed

= appx. 115 grams per workout day

as long as you are still getting some (lots) from your food as well that should work. I usually concentrate my protein shakes in the mornign and after lunch since I eat light protein meals then. In the eveneings its not a problem so shakes aren't completely necessary.

Brad08
09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
My diet is also rich with protein: milk, chicken breasts, tuna fish, peanut butter, and other lean foods.

??

Foods aren't "lean." They are calories. If you eat too few of them, you wind up lean. And if you eat too many, you wind up unlean. But it isn't that "tuna fish" is lean but "steak" is not, for example.

Maybe that isn't what you meant but if it is, maybe I can help with that misconception.

Unless you're a figure competitor, I think you're way too worried about the how/when/why. The timing is way less important than the amount. Unless you're just a regimented person who likes everything scheduled and measured, you will wind up frustrated and spending too much time worrying about the little stuff like "do I need two scoops or just a scoop and half...I lifted approximately 35 minutes ago...and walked 3 flights of stairs in the interim....???" Don't sweat it. GET YOUR PROTEIN.

And if you want some evidence re: "spreading it out throughut the day", take a look at guys doing intermittent fasting. They fast most of the day, then consumer massive calories during a small feeding window, and gain muscle doing so. As long as you get your calories, you will grow. It's physics. Regardless, you will find that your body naturally makes you 'spread your protein' throughout the day anyway: you get hungry.

jtrink
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
well the reason I wanted to spread it out was that I usually lift at night. I would be going without protein all day, besides what I eat... I weigh 155-160 lbs btw. So i figured 115ish of pure whey protein wouldn't be too bad on lifting days.

Brad08
09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
how old are you and are you trying to gain weight?

jtrink
09-03-2008, 01:51 PM
21, i've been lifting for 3 years, recently hit a wall on most of my exercises. Starting to take protein and multi's to advance in most of my lifts. I'm also increasing my meals from 3 to 5 a day, somewhere around 5k caloric intake a day. So i guess yeh I will have to gain weight to make advances.

Brad08
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
21, i've been lifting for 3 years, recently hit a wall on most of my exercises. Starting to take protein and multi's to advance in most of my lifts. I'm also increasing my meals from 3 to 5 a day, somewhere around 5k caloric intake a day. So i guess yeh I will have to gain weight to make advances.

Then the extra scoops of protein should do you good. Don't worry so much about when you consume them. You might make an effort to get them around your workouts but really, it won't make much difference if you're eating big all day every day.

jtrink
09-03-2008, 02:11 PM
ha yeh, that just brings me back to my original question. Which is better right before and after a workout, or spread out through the day?

=Travis=
09-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I think Brad's answer was that is doesn't matter.

Brad08
09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
ha yeh, that just brings me back to my original question. Which is better right before and after a workout, or spread out through the day?

What is so damned complicated? You're gonna eat 5000 frickin calories a day. Every couple of hours you'll be throwing back some food. What's with the handwringing about when to consume your precious 4 scoops of ****ing protein powder?? Damn. So long as you're not doing anything ******ed, you'll be fine either way. But if you need a ****ing plan for your 4 scoops of protein powder, try this:

Before workout, protein, including 2 scoops of precious powder.

After workout, more protein, including 2 more scoops of precious powder.

After workout, but a little bit later (algorhythm to follow), more protein (no powder).

Even later in teh day, more protein yet again (no powder).

Wake up to piss in the middle of the night, more protein (again, no powder).

Wake up in the morning, more protein (no powder).

Repeat until you've consumed 5000 protein-laden calories each and every day.

mikey4402
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM

when needed. Use protien shakes to supplement you daily protien macros. Its not as important when as long as you get enough in a days time

jAy_Dub
09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Theres no magical time to take protein. You need to be eating every 2-3 hours with protein being the main focus at each meal, except for maybe post and pre workout when you need carbs for energy and recovery.

Gable
09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I do this (essentially)

FIRST wakeup.. pre piss
2 scoops whey in water
breakfast
snack - 2 scoops whey in water, along with whatever the snack is
lunch
snack - 2 scoops whey in water, along with whatever the snack is
pre workout 2 scoops whey, 2 scoops results, some bcaa powder
post workout 2 scoops whey, some bcaa powder
dinner
before bed - 2 scoops whey in water/milk

But I'm 240 trying to get to 260 or more...

Try not to overthink it, just try to get a lot in everyday.

Good luck~