PDA

View Full Version : If you knew then what you knew now...

RedSpikeyThing
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
...what would you have done differently?

I was sitting in a lecture hall when a prof started off with "If I had known then what I know now..." and I had an "ah-ha" moment; this is something very valuable that I should listen to. I don't know if it's a maturity or age related thing, maybe I've finally grown out of the whole "I can do it all by myself mentality", but I found what he said very useful and I'm going to strive to listen to those with experience. I think the changing point, for me at least, was giving a younger friend of mine advice that started like that. He didn't quite get it (or maybe he was being a know-it-all teenager) and I thought to myself "listen to me boy!"

So, related to powerlifting, bodybuilding, nutrition, or life in general, if you knew then what you know now, what would you have done differently? I'm all ears.

youngguns
09-03-2008, 07:00 PM
oh man... i wouldnt have wasted my first 1.5 years of lifting being a ****ing curl jockey. and i would have eaten until i wanted to puke MUCH more often.

bigbadwolfe
09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
If I knew then what I know now ~

I would of walked through the doors of Westside Barbell back in 1996 when I was suppose to first go down there. But as I sat in the parking lot with my wife wondering what lyed beyond those blacked out windows and blacked out door. I let my fear overcome me and I got NERVOUS as hell, well then 2 of the LARGEST FREAKING MEN I had ever seen walked out. I know for a fact that one was Tommy Waddle and if my memory serves me right the other one was Mike Ruggeria.

Well I looked at them and looked at my wife and said "THERE IS NO F**KING WAY I'M GOING IN THAT PLACE, LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE TWO GUYS" I was scared s**tless and left. I ran so far from there that I did not come back for 8yrs.

If I knew then what I know now I could of been at the top alot sooner and hell who only knows what could of happened. But I chose to be Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda and kept dreaming about what might of happened instead of making it happen!!!!

Grab what you want by the horns and make it yours!!!! Dont ever be afraid to be the best!!!! And dont EVER let two very large men stand in the way of you and your dreams like I did 12 yrs ago :(

Wolfy!!!!

Eric Downey
09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I would have started powerlifting in 2001. I was 192 with a 455 raw bench. Training like a bodybuilder knowing nothing a powerlifting. I still wants squatting really because of ACL reconstruction.

Reko
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I and You should be used interchangeably:

1 - you can't do it by yourself. You need stronger, bigger, smarter, and more experienced people to show you the way.

2 - supplements are mostly a waste of money, with certain exceptions (vitamins, protein, creatine).

3 - Set measurable goals so you can make progress. If you don't know where you are going, how will you know how to get there? Also, goals will allow you to determine your progress and weather or not what you are doing is working, which leads me to...

4 - Give programs enough time to get results. Either you will find what works through results towards your goals, or you will find what doesn't work. Einstein said something along those lines.

5 - Consistancy in your training (ie, more time on than less time off your training). Not saying you don't have to do the same thing, but stick with your program.

6 - Know when enough is enough. I'm working on this one now. Its easy to hit PRs several weeks in a row and want to keep going, when realistically the right move at that point may be to back off and deload.

7 - Listen to the people in #1. You can question them, but they have been where you are and know how to get past that. They are probably right 95% of the time.

8 - Compete. It will drive your motivation through the roof and it goes along with #3.

9 - Build good habits and a solid base early on. It will make everything else easier and not seem like it was a waste of your time.

10 - Have fun. Cliche as it sounds, that is the biggest reason I do it is because I enjoy every bit of it. The PRs, the goals, the camaraderie, everything. IF I didn't enjoy it, I would be a ****ty PLer. Or a ****tier one haha.

Good thread. I am guilty of just about all of these at some point in time.

Lones Green
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I and You should be used interchangeably:

1 - you can't do it by yourself. You need stronger, bigger, smarter, and more experienced people to show you the way.

2 - supplements are mostly a waste of money, with certain exceptions (vitamins, protein, creatine).

3 - Set measurable goals so you can make progress. If you don't know where you are going, how will you know how to get there? Also, goals will allow you to determine your progress and weather or not what you are doing is working, which leads me to...

4 - Give programs enough time to get results. Either you will find what works through results towards your goals, or you will find what doesn't work. Einstein said something along those lines.

5 - Consistancy in your training (ie, more time on than less time off your training). Not saying you don't have to do the same thing, but stick with your program.

6 - Know when enough is enough. I'm working on this one now. Its easy to hit PRs several weeks in a row and want to keep going, when realistically the right move at that point may be to back off and deload.

7 - Listen to the people in #1. You can question them, but they have been where you are and know how to get past that. They are probably right 95% of the time.

8 - Compete. It will drive your motivation through the roof and it goes along with #3.

9 - Build good habits and a solid base early on. It will make everything else easier and not seem like it was a waste of your time.

10 - Have fun. Cliche as it sounds, that is the biggest reason I do it is because I enjoy every bit of it. The PRs, the goals, the camaraderie, everything. IF I didn't enjoy it, I would be a ****ty PLer. Or a ****tier one haha.

Good thread. I am guilty of just about all of these at some point in time.

good post Reko

sayagain
09-03-2008, 07:50 PM
If I knew then what I know now ~

I would of walked through the doors of Westside Barbell back in 1996 when I was suppose to first go down there. But as I sat in the parking lot with my wife wondering what lyed beyond those blacked out windows and blacked out door. I let my fear overcome me and I got NERVOUS as hell, well then 2 of the LARGEST FREAKING MEN I had ever seen walked out. I know for a fact that one was Tommy Waddle and if my memory serves me right the other one was Mike Ruggeria.

Well I looked at them and looked at my wife and said "THERE IS NO F**KING WAY I'M GOING IN THAT PLACE, LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE TWO GUYS" I was scared s**tless and left. I ran so far from there that I did not come back for 8yrs.

If I knew then what I know now I could of been at the top alot sooner and hell who only knows what could of happened. But I chose to be Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda and kept dreaming about what might of happened instead of making it happen!!!!

Grab what you want by the horns and make it yours!!!! Dont ever be afraid to be the best!!!! And dont EVER let two very large men stand in the way of you and your dreams like I did 12 yrs ago :(

Wolfy!!!!

This sounds exactly like me right now. I live in the Columbus area and have been thinking about checking out either Westside or Lexen, but my shyness and fear keeps me from doing anything. I even drove up to Lexen to see where it was and then turned around and drove away. So I keep training by myself at the YMCA. Maybe this post will help me get the balls to contact Louie or one of the guys at Lexen.

bigbadwolfe
09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
This sounds exactly like me right now. I live in the Columbus area and have been thinking about checking out either Westside or Lexen, but my shyness and fear keeps me from doing anything. I even drove up to Lexen to see where it was and then turned around and drove away. So I keep training by myself at the YMCA. Maybe this post will help me get the balls to contact Louie or one of the guys at Lexen.

Dude you gotta do it!!!! Lou and the crew are great guys and same goes for the Lexan crew. I know alot of them and they are all pretty good guys also. Dont be a woulda, coulda, shoulda like I was!!!!

dbc3po
09-03-2008, 08:28 PM
This reminds me I need to get my visit set up for the winter. I went to the Arnold the last 3 years the WPO was there, I was always scared to talk to Lou then finally in 07 I talked to him. I couldnt get him to quit talking and he was fixing to go back and coach lifters. The man is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. I wish I would have went to a seminar and really got a graps of the West Side system. I tried for a year and a half then I went to a seminar with Matt Smith and it clicked. I should have bit the bullet allot sooner.

RedSpikeyThing
09-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Lots of great advice here guys! I'm doubly impressed by you now Wolfey....I had no idea you were scared off by those guys. Kudos for growing a pair and going in.

Chris Rodgers
09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
If I could go back to when I started I would have worried less about what weight class I was in and just have trained and ate. I would be bigger and stronger now.

Gable
09-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Reko and Wolfe laid it down. I don't think I could add anything.

Great post guys, and a great thread.