PDA

View Full Version : Low Back Pain

HumanHorrorFilm
09-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Recently, i have been experiencing moderate lower back pain when i sit for too long in chairs, cars, etc. When i lay flat it provides no problem at all. Ive noticed a significant decrease in pulling power on deadlifts especially. Two months ago i pulled 440 after a heavy volume deadlift session, yesterday, i couldnt even break 405 off of the floor. Ive noticed that accompanying this back pain (which is on the left side of my lower back) is increased tightness in my hips. It has become increasingly difficult for them to get "warm" on squattings, requiring multiple sets and still having a general uncomfortableness(not sure if thats a word, ha) when i squat.

This has lead to my increased frustration and even though I know what im doing is incorrect, i have been trying to push through it the past few weeks.

It came to a head last night, as i was doing deficit deads, thenr egular dead after working on box squat form. this morning, I have significant more pain than I am used to in the same area, but good DOM's in ym hamstrings.

I work out of a van all day(Private investigator), therefore, it makes my job increasingly difficult sitting for almost 14 hours a day, driving long distances etc. I cannot even get out of the van to stretch my legs once I arrive at a file.

I am thinking of dropping pulls/squats/Stones for 3 weeks and focusing on my OHP w/Smolov Jr. My question is recommendations of what I should be doing to "rehab" the area. I will be attending a chiropractor within the next few days, after payday, to get everything adjusted. I am thinking maybe sled work would be good, forward sled drags, Hypers.

I made this as detailed as I could, but im sure i missed something.

I am curious as to opinions of others on here. Any help would be wonderfully appreciated

HumanHorrorFilm
09-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Its not present during squatting/dling actually. its more so afterwards.

the problem with the hips are just that they stay tight constantly and takes forever to warm up. The pain is more so when sitting for long periods and getting up from being seated, etc.

Sean S
09-05-2008, 11:05 AM
The right side of my low back used to tighten up all time. Then I realized that my right hip and hamstrings were way tighter than the other side. I started stretching the hamstrings, glutes, and IT band EVERY day and now I rarely have any issues at all. The tightness in the right hip area was causing an uneven pull on my spine and causing things to tighten up to try and compensate.
I still stretch every day. It's a pain to have to do it every day, but it keeps me healthy. I use a band and do some of the stretches from Dick Hartzel (Jumpstretch band guy) that are posted on the elitefts site. I don't know if it will help your specific problem, but it's cheap and won't hurt to try.

AJ Roberts
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Get your self a foam roll and roll out everyday before stretching. Also try this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lFQwpjnThYs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lFQwpjnThYs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sayagain
09-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Do you keep a wallet in your back pocket? As silly as that sounds, I've noticed that after I stopped keeping my wallet in my back pocket while sitting all day at my desk at work, my back pain has improved significantly. I too had pain on one side and I think just having that slight imbalance is what was causing the problem.

Szust
09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Do you keep a wallet in your back pocket? As silly as that sounds, I've noticed that after I stopped keeping my wallet in my back pocket while sitting all day at my desk at work, my back pain has improved significantly. I too had pain on one side and I think just having that slight imbalance is what was causing the problem.

This happened to me. As soon as I took the wallet out, and didn't sit on it, my back was perfect.

Mad Max
09-06-2008, 05:59 AM
I'll bet you're in anterior pelvic tilt. Get your glutes firing, strengthen them along with you abs and hams. Do stretches and foam rolling like AJ Roberts said. In fact just read this article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1508256

Ben Moore
09-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Stretch and foam roll every day. This has to become part of your routine. I'm guilty of not doing it enough and my back and hips tell me so when that's the case.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Stretch and foam roll every day. This has to become part of your routine. I'm guilty of not doing it enough and my back and hips tell me so when that's the case.

i HAVE to do this everyday. i do it twice on workout days. once before workout, and i always do full body stretching/foam rolling before bed.

alex11012
09-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Get your self a foam roll and roll out everyday before stretching. Also try this

Until I am in a position to get these bands would doing these stretches everyday (without the bands) also be very beneficial. I have no injuries and wish to stay that way. Thanks.

chris mason
09-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I think the answer is rather obvious, your body needs a BREAK. You are massively overtraining from what it looks like to me. Do yourself a favor and take one week off from the gym completely. When you return, skip the deads and whatnot for another week. After that, practice some conjugate variation and cut your volume down significantly.

Ben Moore
09-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I think the answer is rather obvious, your body needs a BREAK. You are massively overtraining from what it looks like to me. Do yourself a favor and take one week off from the gym completely. When you return, skip the deads and whatnot for another week. After that, practice some conjugate variation and cut your volume down significantly.

Good advice

HumanHorrorFilm
09-09-2008, 05:29 AM
I appreciate all of the replys guys. That article on T-Nation showed me some stretches to do, which ive been doing twice a day and immediately after doing them, i feel much much better.

Chris, a week off completely? Forgoing any kind of upper body work? Also, cardio/conditioning?

Im sorry if those questions sound redundant, but taking time off is the hardest thing about lifting and i just wanted to clairfy. I got a chiropractic adjustment last night and he definitely said i needed it, as my left leg was shorter than the other and he said my low back needed an adjustment moreso than it has ever (he's been my chiro for 8 years)

Knopfy
09-15-2008, 10:04 AM
have your teeth checked. it sound stupid. but a infected tooth spreeds bakteria to your whole body.
especialy heart and hip.

Sensei
09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
1) You need a break
2) You need to stop sitting for hours - tight, weak hip flexors and glutes and hamstrings that don't fire properly is a given if your doing this. Stand when you can. Lie on your stomach propped up on your elbows when you can.
3) Watch Squat Rx #3 (both parts) and Squat Rx #5
4) You need a break

Ben Moore
09-15-2008, 11:49 PM
have your teeth checked. it sound stupid. but a infected tooth spreeds bakteria to your whole body.
especialy heart and hip.

LOL - what???????

HumanHorrorFilm
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
So i took almost 2 and a half weeks from pulling. I stretched everyday, foam rolled, i began to kneel in my van, made sure my feet were flat on the floor.

So i started sheiko and was on day 2. Squats felt fantastic on the first day, best they have had in a long time. I went to attempt deadlift to knees today and the left side of ym low back felt intense pressure. Not pain, but the strength was not there, my left side felt like it was giving out. Then, i couldnt even break it off of the floor.

I have no idea what to do.

DrDudley-Robey
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
You may want to try a topical linament which heats the area before you lift, I use one called FlexPower but there are several on the market. Also anti-inflamatory therapy works well in the cases along with the occ muscle relaxer. Naproxen Sodium (aleve) is available over the counter and a mild mucle relaxer can be obtained from your MD or a naturopathic one (wobenzym N) is available OTC.

Also streching and massage and be of great use.

Mad Max
09-29-2008, 09:11 AM
I'd recommend you stop regular deadlifting. Sumo pulls really help take the strain off the low back. Also Romanians for hypertrophy, and mid level/high rack pulls for hypertrophy and heavy work. I honestly think some people do way to much regular floor pulling, when they can't even maintain a neutral spine. Loss of form is inevitable with very heavy stuff, but regularly pulling with sub par form isn't good, which is why the lifts I mentioned seem to be a good substitute.