PDA

View Full Version : WSM 2008 updates and discussion

3whitelights
09-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm sure members here are interested, so here's the last update I've seen on the groups at WSM:

Group1

Derek P
Jarek D
Mark F
Jason B
Igor W
Solvi P

Group 2
Phil P
Sebastian W
Johannes A
Richard S
Oli T
Tobias I

Group 3
Terry H
Kevin N
Tarmo M
Janne V
Elbrus N
JF Caron

Group 4
Mariusz P
Arild H
Brian Shaw
Brian Siders
Laurence S
Louis PJ

Group 5
Travis O
Jimmy M
Raivis V
Dave O
Magnus S
Florian T

Top 2 in each group go to finals, so it's looking like we'll have 4 americans in the finals.

Lones Green
09-05-2008, 10:17 AM
thats a STRONG lineup, but i have 2 words for this year...

DEREK POUNDSTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/xshewastragedyx/doc47951c8629eb5361831861.jpg

=Travis=
09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Is anyone going who would be kind enough to post updates?

yankeekd25
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Polish Pride. Go Pudz!

3whitelights
09-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Is anyone going who would be kind enough to post updates?

I know a few people that are going that are texting me updates, I'll keep everyone here posted.

I was planning on going, but it proved to be too expensive and too much during the first week of classes.

=Travis=
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I know a few people that are going that are texting me updates, I'll keep everyone here posted.

I was planning on going, but it proved to be too expensive and too much during the first week of classes.

Cool, thanks. How much were the tickets?

3whitelights
09-05-2008, 12:15 PM
tickets weren't bad, it was transport and hotel that would have been killer. I might have sprung for it since I'd be sharing a hotel, but I'm a in my 4th year of college and my course load between engineering classes and biomechanics classes is beating my ass.

=Travis=
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
tickets weren't bad, it was transport and hotel that would have been killer. I might have sprung for it since I'd be sharing a hotel, but I'm a in my 4th year of college and my course load between engineering classes and biomechanics classes is beating my ass.

Don't slack on that last year of college. My last year I skipped October to go elk hunting and to attend a confeence. It hurt my grades quite a bit. I darn near haunted me when I decided to go to lawschool.

vdizenzo
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Poundstone is a freak. I gotta root on the hometown boy.

chris mason
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Poundstone is a freak. I gotta root on the hometown boy.

He is that! A tremendous physique to go with the power.

Travis Bell
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
notice the no straps on that deadlift

Derek is just amazing. I really hope he wins this year

THE BRUTE
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
same here cause i know he's been down a long road...
TB

vdizenzo
09-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Rhodes and I have trained with Derek a few times. He works his ass off. He deserves every success.

RhodeHouse
09-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Derek does work his ass off. I wish him the best.

3whitelights
09-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Lbstone is indeed my favorite to take it.

Word is Pudz is looking HYUGE, putting to rest that he lost too much weight while doing "dancing".

One of the guys is promising video of Sider's Barrel Squat.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Word is Pudz is looking HYUGE, putting to rest that he lost too much weight while doing "dancing".

One of the guys is promising video of Sider's Barrel Squat.

its still blows my mind the videos of that guys band. that may be whats cool over in Poland, but damn.

3whitelights
09-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Here are the 1st and 2nd places for each group for the first event:

Group 1
Mark Felix
Derek Poundstone

Group 2
Phil Pfister
Sebastian Wenta

Group 3
Terry Hollands
Tarmo Mitt

Group 4
Arild Haugen
Mariusz Pudzianowski

Group 5
Dave Ostlund
Travis Ortmayer

It was a loading race, and word from Derek's GF is that he fell in the sand. Word from Mark is that Phister looks like a laser in terms of focus. Arild Haugen is coming in with an INCREDIBLE level of max strength, and I'm picking Lbstone, Wenta, Terry, Pudz, and stoneman to win the next event (keg toss)

nddillon
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Man, Kevin Nee got put in a tough group!

I should be there (watching).

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
cool! thanks for the updates. lets go Derek.

Tennessee Mike
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Mitt and Wenta are no joke either.Im still goin with Mariusz,Poundstone,Nee

Ben Moore
09-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Nice! 4 US guys for top 2 in the first event! Lets go Derek!!!

bigbadwolfe
09-06-2008, 05:47 PM

I'm kind of slow took me a second to catch this one :) That guy really is a FREAK!!!

bill
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I went today, lot's of fun. If you get a chance go see these guys.
Travis O won keg toss I think, In person it hard to keep up with who is winning. Got to meet a couple of them, cool guys (HUGE) men.

nddillon
09-07-2008, 08:21 AM
When are the events scheduled?

rwhaan
09-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Marius dropped out, because he hurt his leg again. Derek, Travis,Phil, A. Haugen are all doing pretty good the final will have several people that could win

Brian Shaw could get into the final

Dave Ostlund will have to work hard to make the final because Jimmy M. beat him in the keg throw.

Sean Hatley
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Poundstone and Ortmyer.

Sean Hatley
09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Mariuzs is not out just yet. read in link below

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/morenewsv6.php?id=2681#2681

Ben Moore
09-08-2008, 07:30 AM
From another forum:

Derek is pacing himself and learning and trying new techniques through these first 3 events. He is looking forward to the deadlift and wants to beat Mark Felix on that event. The Viking Press will see a different technique because facing outward puts much stress on his back discs.. so he has formulated a plan to adapt, and we will see how that turns out tomorrow. Derek will be turning up the heat a little tomorrow as he smells blood and desires to see how hard the other competitors are willing to fight and how much of their bodies they are willing to give up for the first place slot. Derek was shouldering the 275 lb sandbags and running with them in the sand, which was not the most efficient way to carry them... he burned through a tremendous amount of energy and did not finish the last sandbag due to complete exhaustion, which is unusual if you know Derek because his conditioning unreal. Derek came back and destroyed the fingers, and his gloves were coming off of his hand during the event...so he was having a difficult time gripping. In the truck pull he tried a new technique to utilize his hip power more and slipped a few steps, but after a 1/3 of the way through, he sunk in and his speed was incredible for the last 2/3 of the distance. He realized some errors for this event and is set to fix them during the finals for the plane pull. That is Derek, always determined to improve himself and eager to learn from mistakes. He has not placed out of the top 2 for his heat so far... and plans to keep up that performance throughout.

Bergmann is in Derek's heat and is in the hunt , along with Derek and Felix for the top 2 spots. If Bergmann successfully can maintain his current form, then Felix will have a tough time making it... but the pressure is there and the battle will be fierce. Bergmann is great on overhead, deadlift, and stones...and Felix is great on deadlift and stones, and has been working overtime on his overhead... this is a battle that many are watching closely. Bergmann showed his conditioning in the medley by finishing it quickly, and he ripped through all 5 fingers, while Mark got through 4. Bergmann shouldered the 5th finger and bulldozed it up and over... so he is showing his aggressiveness and desire to qualify.

Kevin Nee is 5 points from 2nd and 8 points from 1st in his heat. Tarmo Mitt is leading with Hollands in 2nd. Kevin has all his favorite events ahead of him. He said that he plans to psycho and leave nothing in the tank during each event. Kevin suffered a setback with his placement in the medley...ran out of time just as the last sandbag was being rolled up on the platform, if he had just a half second more then he would have gotten credit for finishing the event rather then just for loadin 3 out of 4 implements. He is more determined then ever though and is looking in tremendous shape, there is a chance he can make the finals...but Kevin will have to use all of his hard earned strength to get there. Let's send some prayers and hopes his way to help him out.

Brian Shaw is locked in a battle with Arild Haugen for 2nd place in his heat. Shaw is getting more and more aggressive as the time goes on and chants and yells before every event like a man possessed. He posted the best time of the day on the fingers out of all 30 athletes. Arild posted the best time out of all 30 athletes in the medley. Shaw placed 2nd in the truck pull behind Mariusz... but Mariusz laid on the ground after his pull, while Shaw roared that it was too easy and wanted more..haha. Arild just missed finishing the truck pull as the whistle blew inches from the finish line... Arild is in tremendous shape and conditioning. All of the Fortissimus athletes are surprised at how much he has improved his shape and power since. He has incredible power. He did not finish the fingers and the truck pull, but tomorrow with the squat and overhead..he will have a chance to push Brian Shaw harder. Shaw is more determined then ever though and invites the Viking to a battle of will.

Siders is proving that going from powerlifting to strongman takes longer then 3 weeks...which is the amount of time he had to prepare for this contest. Everyone is anticipating the squat event and Siders hopes to set the record on this event. Not much to say about the medley, fingers, and truck pull except that is was not pretty. Siders is set to resume training for IPF Worlds later this year, and then surprisingly said that he wants to do a Super Series contest in order to qualify for next years WSM, and of course he is looking forward to the Arnold.

Travis Ortmayer.... put nitrous in a sixteen cylinder engine and you start to get an idea of the blistering speed he is displaying. He was actually on pace to set a great time on the medley, but his keg fell on its side when he loaded it and he spent a few valuable seconds fixing it... he still managed the 4th best time out of all 30 athletes...but was unfortunate to be in the race with Ostlund and Magnus..who both set the 2nd and 3rd best time out of all 30... so the true speed of Travis's run was masked in a few ways. Keg Toss was indescribable... but I will attempt to explain. Derek decides to help get Travis fired up by doing the "trap slap" on him...something that they have since kept doing to each other before every event... a true show of support and comradery (sp?).. Derek slaps Travis and Travis rolls his head, closes his eyes, and when they open... the Ortmayer beast shows it's face (have to see it in person to truly appreciate the white fire that shines in his eyes when this is happens)... the whistle blows and Travis rips the 1st keg off of the ground like he was angry that it didn't launch up on it's own and he was gonna make it pay.. if you blinked then you missed the next 6 kegs. The last keg was abused a little more then the others as Travis decided to pick it up, slam it into the ground again while yelling at it, then he pulled back and sent it to the graveyard with the rest of the dead kegs...Travis posts the best time out of all 30 athletes and shaved 7 seconds off of the previous best time. Everyone went crazy as the energy he put off went through the area.
The 50,000 lb coal truck pull was won by Travis also, and he posted the best time in his group... not sure about overall with the coal truck but I think his was top 2 out of 30. Travis now has to decide whether to keep up the pace or throttle back in order to explode with more intensity in the finals.... Travis is definitely setting the WSM on fire though, with the glee of a pyromaniac... haha

Dave Ostlund posted the 2nd best time out of 30 athletes with the medley event and is in fantastic shape. He is in great shape and has a very determined look about him. Dave seems to have analyzed every detail of every event for this contest and has a great gameplan lined out. He really wants to go head to head with Travis Ortmayer in the Atlas Stones event to continue a rivalry in the King of the Stones arena that has existed for a long time. That will be a legendary showdown at the WSM! Dave missed getting the 8th keg. He had to do the 6th and 7th keg a few times over and had little energy left for the 8th. He managed to get the 8th keg high enough, but it did not arch back enough... which was the underlying problem in a lot of the keg performances... the heavier kegs required that you step back a little more in order to get the arch. Also athletes blew more power then needed with the lighter kegs and had little left for the heavier ones. This happened to Sebastian Wenta, as he said that his quads and back had no more power left in them to finish the event... also running in the sand for the medley zapped his power too he said.

Pfister is putting on a great performance. He is being consistant and making great times in the events. His hometown crowd is firing him up something fierce and he seems determined to not let them down. I don't think that he will have any problem getting into the finals at this point. Pfister is very strong though and is determined more then ever to win and do so in his hometown and state. He is very fun to watch as he goes crazy before every event and the crowd is very loud for him. I can't remember what he has left in his heat but I don't think he will have any problems.

Sorry to not fill in more on the other international athletes, I wanted to get the Americans filled in, as this is an exciting time and the whispers are circulating that 7 Americans could make the finals if everyone keeps performing at their best. The quiet excitement is in the air....

Travis Bell
09-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Awesome update. Good post Ben

Brad08
09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
great update

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I saw this link on another site:
http://dailymail.com/Sports/200809080109

I can't wait to see the finals this weekend!

Guido
09-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Awesome stuff! I can't wait to watch it on TV. It's great that so many of the Americans are doing well. Time to reclaim the WSM title back to America again!

3whitelights
09-08-2008, 10:49 AM
http://dailymail.com/News/Kanawha/200809040236

Article on competitor Brian Siders, one of my favorite "strength athletes".

3whitelights
09-08-2008, 10:51 AM
From Mariusz' website, he is in a great deal of pain but doctors are taking care of his calf with numbing agents.

Lones Green
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
yeah, it will be cool seeing it on TV this year.

Brad08
09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Group 4
Mariusz P
Arild H
Brian Shaw
Brian Siders
Laurence S
Louis PJ

Just saw an update from a friend/training partner of Laurence Shelailai (sp?) that "Loz" won the squat event. www.beyondstrong.com

bill
09-08-2008, 05:33 PM
thats a STRONG lineup, but i have 2 words for this year...

DEREK POUNDSTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/xshewastragedyx/doc47951c8629eb5361831861.jpg

Derek is a lot bigger this year, but less cut up.

Got to meet this guy, Solvi Peturssun (I think is his name) very nice guy. Also met Magnus.

Sean Hatley
09-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Ortmyer and Poundstone are in. Well unoficailly

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/morenewsv6.php?id=2686#2686

Reko
09-09-2008, 06:21 AM
7 Americans in the finals if all goes well? How many total finalist are there?

Ben Moore
09-09-2008, 06:53 AM
2 in each group and there's 5 groups.

Brad08
09-09-2008, 08:23 AM
another good update from Nick McKinless at beyondstrong.com (damn Brits)

This report is from Marianne, Loz's girlfriend.

"Yesterdays first event was fingals fingers. Loz did 4 out of the 5 but in a time that was 25 seconds faster than Britain's last year! So a good PB. He nearly did the fith finger but ran out of time. He placed 3rd in this which was a great result!

In the afternoon it was truck pull. Loz broke his toe on the very first pull on the rope which was really bad luck :-( He carried on though and managed to get 4th place. We think he would have been third if not for this - Marius and Shaw did amazing times.

After a lot of painkillers and a sleepless night, todays event was the squat. Loz obviously wanted to go for it as you can't pull out of World's unless you're half dead!!

The weights were: 260kg, 280kg, 300kg, 315kg, 330kg, 350kg, 365kg.

Loz managed the fastest time of the day!!!! He came first in his group and accross all groups beating Marius and Siders too!!!

Results below: SQUAT LIFT

1st - Loz - All 7 in 25.67secs!!!!
2nd -Aril Haugen - All 7 in 26.07 secs
3rd - L.P. Jean - All 7 in 33.66 secs
4th - Brian Siders - 6 lifts
5th - Marius Pudz - 4 lifts in 13.77 secs
6th - Brian Shaw - 4 lifts in 18.5 secs

With two events to go the group is as follows:

1st) Marius 18 points
2nd) Loz 17 points!!!!!
3rd) Arild 16 points
4th) Shaw 15 points
5th) L.P.Jean 12 points
6th) Siders 6 points

Looking good at the moment! But axle tomorrow so we'll see what happens."

Terry Hollands is winning his group.

Derek Poundstone leads his group with Mark Felix in a comfortable 2nd place.

I am not too sure about the other groups but there is no doubt the British are putting on quite the show.

Nick

3whitelights
09-09-2008, 10:18 AM
pictures: http://media.cnpapers.com/strongestman/

I am hearing that Travis and Dave (came back from behind) are in the lead in their group, Lbstone is in the lead in his, and behind him Mark Felix and Jason
Bergmann are battling it out for second. There is also a 3 way battle between Terry Hollands (GB), Tarmo Mitt, and The Kevin Nee. Kevin needs to beat Terry on stones to go to finals, and even coming off of his second bicep injury, Kevin is no joke on stones. This would be a huge come from behind.

Here's what someone posted as kinda results so far:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p9kQ0rpYLURGnAymee3wbHw

Gavstar
09-09-2008, 03:36 PM
i have heard Terry Hollands has beaten Kevin in the stones.

Gavstar
09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Mark Felix is out as he has torn his bicep.

3whitelights
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
i have heard Terry Hollands has beaten Kevin in the stones.

You heard right.

Finalists are as follows:

Group 1
Poundstone
Bergmann

Group 2
Pfister
Wenta

Group 3
Mitt
Hollands

Group 4
Pudzianowski
Haugen

Group 5
Ortmayer
Ostlund

Yes, that's right, we have 5 americans advancing to the finals. Phil looks to be on fire, so this looks like a good year for the americans.

On another note, Lbstone twisted his ankle on the stone load. Not sure if he can walk on it yet, finals start friday.

Tom Mutaffis
09-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Some updates...

Poundstone and Bergmann are in the finals from their group, Mark Felix was injured on the stones. Derek also sustained a twisted ankle during that event and is currently icing to get ready for the next round of events.

Ortmayer made the finals with authority and I believe Ostlund came through as well with a win on the stones.

Pudz is looking massive and is in the finals but has been complaining of injuries that he is battling. It is rumored that these may not be legitimate.

Arild Haugen set a record on the stone run and has been strong all day, he is in the finals and I think surprised a lot of people. Terry Hollands is in the finals and looking very strong along with Tarmo Mitt and Sebastian Wenta.

Phil Pfister is rumored to have bodyweight near 400 lbs (he is 6'6) and crushed the field in prelims, actually sat on the stones instead of loading them because his lead was so large he didn't have to do that event.

Things pick back up in about two days...

Travis Bell
09-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Thats great to hear about Poundstone and Phister. That'd be funny seeing him just sit on the stones haha

Why would Mariuz make illegitimate claims about injuries? Just to give people a false impression about his strength level? Seems a little silly to me

Lones Green
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
once i saw that video of Pudz...i really don't revere him too awful much anymore.

seems like a very soild final group.

3whitelights
09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Why would Mariuz make illegitimate claims about injuries? Just to give people a false impression about his strength level? Seems a little silly to me

These rumors seem to fly everytime Pudz complains of an injury or backs out of a contest, possibly because it happens so often, possibly because the rumors are correct, and possibly because people are just hating on the man to beat.

Either way, I prefered Jesse's way of dealing with injuries, not a word to his competition until after the competition.

Guido
09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I think it will be an epic battle between Pfister and Pudz once again. Should be exciting to watch.

PriestCometh
09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Phil is up to 400? Wow

3whitelights
09-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Phil is up to 400? Wow

Word from Barry is that he is 375ish. I'd believe it.

According to Derek's GF on another website, he is walking and had x-rays (no results) today.

3whitelights
09-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Pudz just placed first in powerstairs, a great event for him. I'm pretty sure he usually wins this event.

From Ironmind:
Charleston, West Virginia - Showing that there is good reason to believe in Mariusz Pudzianowski�??s ability to win his fifth World�??s Strongest Man title, the Polish strongman star dominated the field in the first event of this year�??s MET-Rx WSM final.

Pudzianowski easily won his heat and was first place overall, about twelve seconds ahead of Derek Poundstone, who won his heat and finished second overall. Dave Ostlund was third, and Tarmo Mitt and Phil Pfister tied for fourth place, completing 14 steps within the time limit.

Next up is car walk, followed by Fingal Fingers. I'm picking Lbstone to take the fingers after seeing him train and the car walk could be anyones game.

Ben Moore
09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
It will all depend on how his ankle holds up. Travis will be a force on both of those

=Travis=
09-12-2008, 12:42 PM
From another board:
Points after 2 events
Oslund 17 pts
Derek 17
Phil 16.5
Pudz 16
Travis 11
Wenta 9
Mitt 8.5
Bergmann 6
Haugen 5
Hollands 4

Tennessee Mike
09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Polish Power!!!!!

Travis Bell
09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
At the end of today

Dave Ostland - 27pts
Phil Phister - 25.5pts
Derek Poundstone - 25pts
Mariuz Pudz - 22pts
Wenta - 17pts
Ortameyer - 11pts

Go Poundstone!!!!

vdizenzo
09-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a fondness for Derek because I know him, however, Ostlund is an official Rhodestown resident. Man I am torn. That's a pretty badass first day for Dave. This is shaping up to be one heck of a battle.

Bob
09-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Great summary of the days events on the Gillingham's site/Jackals Gym:
http://www.jackalsgym.com/news.aspx

Today is the DL and Log, both strong events for Poundstone and Pudz... should be a heck of a day and an even bigger mess at the top..
Hoping that Ostland can hold on today... and Travis can catch up... and gotta give some love for Jason-amazing to be top 6 giving up so much in height and weight-good events for him too...

Which I could be there...

3whitelights
09-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Deadlift results are in. Lbstone and Pudz tied for first with 10 reps, Ortmayer and Ostland took second with 7 or 8 reps, 6 for Bergmann, 5 for Haugen, 3 for Mitt, and 2 reps for Hollands Wenta and Pfister.

The next events are the log later today, then tomorrow a plane pull and stones. All are good events for Phil, but his low place on the deadlift definitely hurt him, dropping him to fourth. Lbstone can excel on the plane pull and the stones (especially if the pull wears out other contestants, Derek never seems to get tired). Ostlund is still in first, but I'm not sure how great the following events are for him.

Travis Bell
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah that put Phister in 4th

Mariuz is in third now and Poundstone is in second. I'm thinking Poundstone is going to pull it out. unless of course Mariuz really cranks it up

3whitelights
09-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Lbstone won the log. Not surprising since it was a log clean and press for reps, I don't think there's anyone that's beat Derek on a clean and press for reps in a long time. Pudz took second. Results from Jackals:

Derek Poundstone has definitely made his move, tying Marisuz in the Deadlift earlier today and beating him in the log lift. The positions have been juggled with Dave Ostlund finding the log lift difficult after a tremendous effort in the deadlift only an hour or less before...he slides from 1st to 3rd. Phil Pfister continues to struggle on day two while fellow Americans Travis Ortmayer and Jason Bergmann made the most of day two, inching themselves closer to a coveted podium finish. With very good truck pullers and stone lifters in the field, day three is going to be interesting!

Reps in the log lift went like this: Poundstone 11, Puzianowski 10, Wenta 8, Ortmayer, Mitt, and Bergman 7, Pfister 6, Haugen 5, Ostlund 4, Hollands 0.

Name Power Stairs Car Walk Fingers Car Deadlift Log Lift Overall
Poundstone 9 8 7 9.5 10 43.5
Pudzianowski 10 6 6 9.5 9 40.5
Ostlund 8 9 10 7.5 2 36.5
Pfister 6.5 10 9 2 4 31.5
Ortmayer 4 7 5 7.5 6 29.5
Wenta 4 5 8 2 8 27
Bergmann 2 4 4 6 6 22
Mitt 6.5 2 1 4 6 19.5
Haugen 4 1 2 5 3 15
Hollands 1 3 3 2 1 10

Ben Moore
09-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Let's go Derek!!! Ortmayer moved way up the ranks as well...

Ben Moore
09-14-2008, 02:57 PM
From Jackal's Gym website:

Sunday September 14, 2008 - 1:32 PM
Pudzianowski Pulls Through!
The defending champ Mariusz Pudzianowski will not go down easy! Mariusz won the plane pull today closing the gap on current overall leader Derek Poundstone who took 3rd. Phil Pfister performed well in front of his home town crowd, taking 2nd place which forces a tie with fellow American Dave Ostlund who could do no better than 7th. Terry Hollands finally got the engine started after a lack luster final, taking 4th in the event.

The final event later today could not be any more competitive. On the line, a "World Strongest Man" title for either Mariusz or Derek, a podium finish for either Dave or Phil, and of course the title "King of Stones" which could be taken by nearly every man still left standing. If the event organizers stay true to the original plan the final event will be the traditional carry and load which will require everyone to dig deep after what has been a brutal final. By the way, should the contest end in a tie, Marisuz will have the tie breaker with more first place event finishes, unless of course event organizers choose to put in a tie breaker event.

Ben Moore
09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Derek's girlfriend from Marunde's board:

Hey Everyone.

Wow what a day. The plane pull was amazing to watch, especially the last pulls. Mariusz went all out and was actually screaming in the middle of the pull. Pfister looked strong and determined to get a good time. Derek was last to go. He needed to get around 36 seconds to beat Mariusz. This is one of Derek's weaker events, he doesn't train much on pulling events. He started out with his steps short and quick which is what I think slowed him down. Derek looked very strong in the middle and end of the pull, but those quick steps should have been a little spread out and used more push/leg drive. Anyway it was a great event to watch and I am happy Derek is going into finals still #1.

Derek and Mariusz chatted a bit about the stones tonight as we were unloading off the bus. They exchaged a few words and Maruisz said who knows maybe 1st maybe 2nd. Derek replied well right now I'm in 1st and you are in 2nd so well see. They were both respectful with each other and from what I got they will respect who ever goes the fastest tonight.

Derek and Mariusz have 1st and 2nd place locked, there is no way anyone else can finish in the top two.

Right now Derek is taking a nap, (like most of the athletes) I will wake him up around 6 and get on the bus around 7. Stones are supposed to start around 7:30 but that could change and they might not start until 8 or so.

Derek's ankle is holding up. It hasn't gotten any better or any worse. He taped it lightly today for the plane pull but we think it's best that he tapes it nice and tight for stones. I can tell you one thing Derek is absolutely sick of icing the dam thing, and I am not his favorite person when I am sitting there watching the time telling him when he can take it out of the ice bin! Mariusz's calf is still getting iced, rubbed and taped. I haven't seen him having any trouble with it since I have been here.

I know the stone carry is a little longer distance than the qualifiers. It will be a dam good show and I am hoping with all my heart that Derek wins the title. Not only because he is my boyfriend and I see him first hand working hard every day, but because he is an american. I would love the title to belong here in the USA.

Well, I'm off to watch some football and then I have to go get my man ready for one of the most important nights of his life.......

vdizenzo
09-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Go Derek go! He beat Pudz in the stones this summer. Let's hope he can do it again. Looks like we will definitely see two Americans on the podium. That's awesome!

Lones Green
09-14-2008, 04:26 PM
i would love to see derek pull this off.

pudz being respectful? wow!

Sean Hatley
09-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Go Poundstone

Sean Hatley
09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Mariusz Won. Torn Calf my ass. This Blows i was hoping poundstone would win

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/morenewsv6.php?id=2702#2702

BULK_BOY
09-14-2008, 07:31 PM
GO DEREK GO!!!!!

Hey, that's my name too! LOL :)

=Travis=
09-14-2008, 07:57 PM
GO DEREK GO!!!!!

Hey, that's my name too! LOL :)

Look at the post above yours, it's over

RhodeHouse
09-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Mariusz is the 5-time Champ. Just amazing. Derek has a long way to go to match up with Mariusz.

nddillon
09-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Mariusz is the 5-time Champ. Just amazing. Derek has a long way to go to match up with Mariusz.

With all do respect...I don't consider that along way to go.
This will motivate him and will come back next year with scary intensity!

I just hope Kevin Nee comes along injury free at the rate he has been!

RhodeHouse
09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
With all do respect...I don't consider that along way to go.
This will motivate him and will come back next year with scary intensity!

I just hope Kevin Nee comes along injury free at the rate he has been!

Really? You don't think winning 5 WSM titles is a long way to go? Remember Jesse Marunde? Remember when he didn't qualify for WSM Finals? Remember when he died the next summer and we never got to see him compete again? How many WSM titles did Jesse win?

All due respect, your statement is one of the dumbest and most ignorant I've heard. We are all dumber, for having read that.

chris mason
09-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Really? You don't think winning 5 WSM titles is a long way to go? Remember Jesse Marunde? Remember when he didn't qualify for WSM Finals? Remember when he died the next summer and we never got to see him compete again? How many WSM titles did Jesse win?

All due respect, your statement is one of the dumbest and most ignorant I've heard. We are all dumber, for having read that.

Lol, I think he meant just to catch him for a win. I don't think he meant to catch up to his record.

Chris

Ben Moore
09-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Derek is known to be weaker in his pulling events...no pulling, if I meant deadlifting I would of said that.

Keep getting offended, the gym is gettin' a kick out of it!

Since when? He's done pretty well in the pulling events I've seen him compete in...

Tennessee Mike
09-17-2008, 06:31 AM
As long as Mariusz is competing,he will place top 2.Phister beat him by a matter of seconds.Poundstone gave an amazing effort,also coming within seconds.Derek will probably win one day.But Mariusz is on another level.5 times is no joke.He is already better than Kaz ever was.The events are harder,heavier,and require more endurance than when he was the best.Pudzianowski is one of the greatest athletes of our time.Simply amazing.And Im not saying that because Im polish.

Travis Bell
09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Not to take anything away from Mariuz, but I was under the impression that the events were lighter than they have been in the past. I could be mistaken though

Either way what Mariuz did was simply incredible. I really think that should Derek choose to compete next year he'll take it. For a first time out for the WSM he came within seconds of winning which is pretty dang impressive. He'll only get better