PDA

View Full Version : adderall, Ritalin, ADD/ADHD

blacknapolean
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Is anyone using stimulants to study more efficiently? I get them prescribed but the side effects I get are a lack of appetite and sweat more. Does have any advice for the appetite thing? The meds just make food not enjoyable at all, and when food does not taste good, or feel good, it is just damn IMPOSSIBLE to force it down.

McLaughlin
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Stop taking meds. That's what I did years ago. Other than that... *shrug* ask if there's different meds you can try if you don't want to not be on them.

JRider23
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Is anyone using stimulants to study more efficiently? I get them prescribed but the side effects I get are a lack of appetite and sweat more. Does have any advice for the appetite thing? The meds just make food not enjoyable at all, and when food does not taste good, or feel good, it is just damn IMPOSSIBLE to force it down.

how long have you been taking the ritilin? my brother has had severe ADHD and he is 12 years old now. In him, i see a complete lack of appetite and he has been taking them for years. Myself on the other hand got them prescribed to me only about a month ago so i can drive. I had appetite problems for maybe the first week, and then it got better (i take a really small dose so yours might be different). Try to eat through it when you aren't hungry. That is what i did and i got out of it in within 5-6 days. If you try this and it continues to affect your appetite contact your doctor and he can probably give you good advice or prescribe something else for you. If you just started taking it wait, but if it has been an ongoing problem, see a doctor.

NewGuy2008
09-06-2008, 02:06 AM
thats what amphetamines do. they are stimulants. it shouldnt go away with normal doses. either try and force it down or just lean out. on the bright side u will have a lot of energy.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
thats what amphetamines do. they are stimulants. it shouldnt go away with normal doses. either try and force it down or just lean out. on the bright side u will have a lot of energy. they are kinda like steroids in the respect.

on that note, does anyone have any info on the affects of using amphetamines like that to workout?

They are nothing like steroids, at all.

Aterol (sp) is speed. It's a fancy medical name for speed. If you guys need energy, drink some coffee.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2008, 10:13 AM
how long have you been taking the ritilin? my brother has had severe ADHD and he is 12 years old now. In him, i see a complete lack of appetite and he has been taking them for years. Myself on the other hand got them prescribed to me only about a month ago so i can drive. I had appetite problems for maybe the first week, and then it got better (i take a really small dose so yours might be different). Try to eat through it when you aren't hungry. That is what i did and i got out of it in within 5-6 days. If you try this and it continues to affect your appetite contact your doctor and he can probably give you good advice or prescribe something else for you. If you just started taking it wait, but if it has been an ongoing problem, see a doctor.

I know it's your brother, but really? Severe ADHD at 12? Are you kidding me? He's a kid, he doesn't have ADHD. And, he's been on meds for years, at 12? 83% of this country is over-medicated. Deal with your problems and don't look to drugs for the solution. It's along story, but nothing good comes from using those drugs for anything. ADHD? Tell him to go for a run instead of playing video games all ay long.

McLaughlin
09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I know it's your brother, but really? Severe ADHD at 12? Are you kidding me? He's a kid, he doesn't have ADHD. And, he's been on meds for years, at 12? 83% of this country is over-medicated. Deal with your problems and don't look to drugs for the solution. It's along story, but nothing good comes from using those drugs for anything. ADHD? Tell him to go for a run instead of playing video games all ay long.

That's truth right there.

WillKuenzel
09-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Studies have shown caffeine to have beneficial results with studying. If you have issues, find a study group. Supplements or drugs shouldn't be necessary to get through school. If that's the case these days, we're screwed.

Lones Green
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Studies have shown caffeine to have beneficial results with studying. If you have issues, find a study group. Supplements or drugs shouldn't be necessary to get through school. If that's the case these days, we're screwed.

i couldn't agree more.

Docs prescribe Adderall to kids like its an antibiotic.

JRider23
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM

you have no idea bro... i saw drastic changes in him when he was on the drugs.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2008, 06:07 PM
you have no idea bro... i saw drastic changes in him when he was on the drugs.

That stuff pretty much ended a relationship I was in. There were someohter factors, but the drugs were the biggest factor. Kids are kids. trouble is, the doctors make a buttload of money as pushers. Break the video game unit(s) and get his butt outside. There's the solutiuon. Good luck.

TopCat
09-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Some children actually have ADHD and legitimately require medicine for help. To say no one should need it is being naive.

Is it over prescribed and/or abused? Absolutely.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Some children actually have ADHD and legitimately require medicine for help. To say no one should need it is being naive.

Is it over prescribed and/or abused? Absolutely.

Whatever makes you happy. They're kids. They're not supposed to pay attention or care about what's going on in school. Until your 20's, kids don't care about anything except themselves.

Gonzo
09-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Try Strattera non stimulant med for ADD

Gonzo
09-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Try Strattera non stimulant med for ADD

.MN.
09-19-2008, 07:25 PM

I've had severe adhd for years, it's terrible but I refuse to take concerta because I value growing more than being focused. You really can't understand what it's like to have severe adhd, even when I'm listening to something that's extremely interesting to me no matter what I will drift off thinking about something else. It happens to me at least once or twice when I play a video game (when I'm over at my friend's house). I actually stop using the controller and sit there staring. It's even worse in school because I'm always double checking with teachers about what homework we were assigned and they're always snotty about it and tell me to pay attention in class.