PDA

View Full Version : beef jerky recipes

ryuage
09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
so in an attempt to try and make my own beef jerky, i'd like to know other peoples successful recipes.

What kind of cut?
Seasonings?
etc...

Hanlon
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
hmm, jerky, sounds like a good idea, my uncle makes it with moose meat.

Sorry, no recipes.

projectpete19
10-14-2008, 08:15 AM
whatever you do stay away from carribou jerkey, smells and tastes like ass

-JM-
10-15-2008, 03:18 AM
My Dad and I made a batch of Biltong a while ago which is pretty similar to jerky, if not identical.

Heres what we did:

-Slice a roasting cut of beef into strips cutting with the grain. (1/4''x2''x8'') approx

-Covered strips in salt for an hour. Not packed but generously covered.

-Scrape off excess salt and immerse strips in red wine vinegar. You can use any vinegar. Just in and out, no need to marinade as such but i am sure a little while longer wouldnt hurt.

-Lay strips down and season. we used pepper and smoked chilli. You can go crazy here and add what you like. Any type of sesoning rubs would do well.

-Hang strips in 'drying box' in a cool dry place (we used the garage) for 3-4 days depending on how dry or moist you would like it. The thicker the slices the longer it needs to hang obviously.

For the drying box-
Rectangular wooden box approx 12''x12''x30'' (no base and removable lid) with 1/2'' holes drilled on two of the side panels top and bottom. Small hooks (as many as you can fit on) screwed into the underside the of removable lid on which you will hang the strips. Set box over a base with a lightbulb fixed to it. This generates a small amount of heat and keeps the air moving.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

jpw204
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Flynn, that sounds about right. But, there is a much increased chance of your meat spoiling if not cured in and oven or dehydrator. I would only say this, if you are going to hang them in a box and not use an oven, be sure ALL fat has been removed to the best of your ability. The fat is what will spoil the meat. But I am probably going to give your recipe a try this weekend. Thanks!

-JM-
10-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Flynn, that sounds about right. But, there is a much increased chance of your meat spoiling if not cured in and oven or dehydrator. I would only say this, if you are going to hang them in a box and not use an oven, be sure ALL fat has been removed to the best of your ability. The fat is what will spoil the meat. But I am probably going to give your recipe a try this weekend. Thanks!

Hope it works out well for you!

Just a note, that is why it is important to use a roasting cut of beef. There is much less fat and it can usually all be trimmed of in one go. The rest of the meat is usually extremely lean.

DO NOT EAT GREEN JERKY!!:eek:

McLovin
11-02-2008, 09:54 AM
wwwsmokingmeatforumcom

they have alot of different jerky recipes on there.