PDA

View Full Version : Question about DE bench

BFGUITAR
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm watching Bench Press secrets DVD and during DE bench as they progress through the 8 sets they add on weight. Is this what DE bench is about? I know 50% of your one rep max but should weight be added as you progress through the sets?

Would I start lower and than move up to 50%? I'm just a bit confused.

jtteg_x
09-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I have heard that you may up the weight if you feel fast enough with it.
So on my DE days, I would start with 135lb. I make small 10-20lb jumps as I progress through the sets. When I get up to 185lb and it doesn't feel as fast as 155lb, then I would take some weight off.

edit: my theory is based on speed bench. i'm not sure if everyone considers DE = Speed.

drew
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I work my speed days by feel. Sometimes I'll just take 135 for 6-10 sets of 3, sometimes I'll go up to 225. The general rule is, if you can add weight and not lose speed, then add weight.

Travis Bell
09-05-2008, 02:38 PM
If you cannot move the weight very fast, yes you can start lower than 50%.

Right now we do it mostly in waves of band tension. We'll keep with a given bar weight and then adjust the band tension

The idea though is to make sure you're fast. If you can't move it fast, it doesn't count.

I went back to straight weight like in that video, leading up to the ProAm and worked up to 315 for my sets of 3 and really liked it. Now I'm going back to band tension along with bar weight. You've gotta change it up. Can't stay the same all the time

Ryano
09-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I've always thought that if you can't do a rep in 1 second, you've got two much weight for DE bench. I also change grips, from narrow, med, wide for 3 sets each. I'll vary the weight depending on how many reps I do. Anywhere from 3 to 8, but always make sure you do them in 1 second.