PDA

View Full Version : Squat PR question

BFGUITAR
09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I hit a new PR of 337 today (22lb PR). I went deep and came out of the hole fast. Half way I stalled for quite a bit. I kept pushing and the bar moved up slowly. I had a good 3 seconds of stalling. I completed the lift and felt good.

Now my question... Should I try and go 5 lbs more if this lift was a struggle? I hit depth, I kept tight, but it barely got up. What would you do in a situation like this?

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 02:37 PM
with a 22 lb PR, i would be happy with that and leave whatever else i had in me for the platform. it sounds like your lift was a bit of a grinder. dynamic effort squats, bands, and chains will all help you with coming up faster and stronger.

keep training and try for another PR later down the road.

BigTallOx
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I agree with lonesXedge.

BFGUITAR
09-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I am VERY happy with this 22lbs PR. I had knee problems last time I did ME squats and could barely get 275 up. Squats are my favourate part of the rotation :)

So than what should I try next week if I am doing squats again? I am thinking of maybe hitting 315 for 2-3 reps. I am still doing DE squats (which help A LOT coming out of the hole for me). I don't have bands or chains at the moment but I am inclined to get them.

mikesbench
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with lones. If this was a ME workout a 22 lb PR would be great, and most likely would be your 3rd or 4th heavy attempt. It only counts on the platform, so no reason to push it further. Possibly the next time you shoot for a heavy squat make your 3rd attempt a 5 lb PR.

essentialherb08
09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Negatives with four plates for 2 squat WO's and then go up in weight.... thats what I would do. Go 4 350 next time also. But again thats just me.

Detard
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I would rotate in a different movement on ME day next week. Maybe GM's, or heavy front squats?

BFGUITAR
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Essential I have mentioned negatives for squats and I have heard that it's a bad idea. And I don't think I could hit 350.

Mike I was thinking of going for a 5 lb PR. This was my first time ever using knee wraps for heavy squats so I think I could get more out of it. It's still in the air.

EDIT: I have GMs as one of my ham exercises (switched them with glute ham raises recently). I just did front squats in my rotation.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Negatives with four plates for 2 squat WO's and then go up in weight.... thats what I would do. Go 4 350 next time also. But again thats just me.

i would not listen to this. i am not too keen on the idea of negatives, or walkouts. you don't have to walk it out in a meet.

don't go for a PR next week either, switch movements like Detard said. i've been through the whole trying to set PR's each week thing, it might work for 2 or 3 weeks, but thats a great way to overtrain, and disappoint yourself. wait a few weeks for a new PR.

BFGUITAR
09-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Your not keen on walkouts lones? I have always thought it was a good idea to get yourself use to heavy weight.

Maybe not a weight PR but I have never 3 plates for reps before. Doing 315 for 2 reps would make me happy personally.

Reko
09-06-2008, 03:19 PM

I would rotate in a different movement on ME day next week. Maybe GM's, or heavy front squats?

i would not listen to this. i am not too keen on the idea of negatives, or walkouts. you don't have to walk it out in a meet.

don't go for a PR next week either, switch movements like Detard said. i've been through the whole trying to set PR's each week thing, it might work for 2 or 3 weeks, but thats a great way to overtrain, and disappoint yourself. wait a few weeks for a new PR.

Agreed on everything except the negatives. Skip those. They won't teach you to be explosive or strong, they will teach you to be slow and miss weights. Bringing the weight up is where you need the training, not taking it down. I would recommend going to a different ME exercises if you can. If not, try something like a 3 rep PR if you have to do the same exercise.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Your not keen on walkouts lones? I have always thought it was a good idea to get yourself use to heavy weight.

Maybe not a weight PR but I have never 3 plates for reps before. Doing 315 for 2 reps would make me happy personally.

if i had access to a monolift any time i wanted, i would rarely walk the weight out. i do think walkout can strengthen your core, but i do plenty of other things to strengthen the core.

Ben Moore
09-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Agreed on everything except the negatives. Skip those. They won't teach you to be explosive or strong, they will teach you to be slow and miss weights. Bringing the weight up is where you need the training, not taking it down. I would recommend going to a different ME exercises if you can. If not, try something like a 3 rep PR if you have to do the same exercise.

Good advice!

Detard
09-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Ryan I think your a little confused when we say rotate your ME movement. You say that you have GM's as an accessory lift, but why not do it FIRST and do it heavy, and have squats as your accessory for a week or 2. Then in 3 weeks time, you can try and hit a squat PR again, and you might be very surprised.

BFGUITAR
09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I will give it a try!

essentialherb08
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
dang no one liked my idea. :(
I didn't mean ONLY do negatives for the next couple of squat workouts. I meant throw some in your workout. They cant help but help. And then try for a PR again if you want.

Szust
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
GM's have made my legs and core BLOW up in strength and size. I feel like I might break 375 the next time I rotate my squats through ME.

Sensei
09-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Walk-Outs have too much potential for injury IMO. Doesn't mean a lot of people don't do them or feel they have success with them however, but I just think the risk outweighs the benefit.

Do for a max double or triple (or 5 rep) next week instead of trying to eek out another 5lb PR. JMO.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Walk-Outs have too much potential for injury IMO. Doesn't mean a lot of people don't do them or feel they have success with them however, but I just think the risk outweighs the benefit.

Do for a max double or triple (or 5 rep) next week instead of trying to eek out another 5lb PR. JMO.

this is another great reason. heavy walkouts and rack squats have a ton of potential for injury.

Reko
09-07-2008, 12:07 AM
dang no one liked my idea. :(
I didn't mean ONLY do negatives for the next couple of squat workouts. I meant throw some in your workout. They cant help but help. And then try for a PR again if you want.

Im sure people do them, but see sensei's post my friend... risk vs reward.

Sean Hatley
09-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Its kind of Ironic the you posetd a reply at 1:07 am.

Reko
09-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Thats how 1-0-7 rolls brotha

Sean Hatley
09-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Thats how 1-0-7 rolls brotha

DAm right