PDA

View Full Version : sodium loading/cutting weight questions

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 03:35 PM
this is a question that pertains to my situation specifically. i have found quite a few good articles out there on this subject, but i'd like some advice from you guys about what has worked for you in the past. let me explain my situation:

i have a meet on Sept 13th, which is a week from today. there will be a 24 hour weigh in, from 9 a.m. - 12. p.m. on Friday. i'm not doing any kind of training next week, just stretching, foam rolling, and walks with the dog.

i am weighing in around 296 in the mornings, with no food in me. i am fine with competing in the 308 class. i have never cut weight before, and i think it would be a good experience for me to sodium/water load a bit for a couple reasons.

1. it dosen't take too much effort
2. dosen't zap strength out of you, as other methods can
3. i will have to cut weight in the future, and this would be good practice. i don't want to go into a meet looking to lift in a certain weight class, and have absolutely no experience with weight loss techniques.

with this type of mentality, it dosen't necessarily hurt me if i don't drop the projected amount of weight. i intend to lift in the 308's.

here is what i planned out:

Sunday: 2 gal water, heavy sodium

Monday: 2 gal water, heavy sodium

Tuesday: 2 gal water, heavy sodium

Wednesday: 1 gal of water, cut sodium

Thursday: cut water and sodium

Friday morning is weigh ins.

very simple.

this is the plan i have put together from my recent knowledge i've acquired from articles.

here are my questions:

1. is this a good idea to practice for the near future?

2. what are some good foods you guys have had success with when cutting sodium?

3. what is a good, conservative water weight loss goal for a guy my size?

post weigh in...i plan on eating small meals every 30 minutes. i do want to bloat, i would like my gear to fit tighter than normal. i will take pedialyte and a MAXIMUS shake with me to drink after weighing in. i will go to the pizza buffet from there, most likely, haha. it will feel like my old days when i was weighing in at 340!

cutting weight is a part of powerlifting i need to learn how to do, to become a better, smarter lifter. i do not plan on going "crazy" with this, its just somewhat of a lesson i'm trying to teach myself, with the help of you guys. i know if i try it at another time when i don't have a meet coming up, i will not follow through with it!!!

ANY AND ALL TIPS AND OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED AND WELCOME!!!

(except for Ben Moore, who has found his true home in the 308's. you thought we forgot :clown:)

just kidding. i'd love to have your opinions Ben.

Travis Bell
09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Only other thing I would do is cut food on Thursday as well.

Post weigh in's I'd try and down a gallon of water or gatorade or pedialyte. Don't mess around. The longer you are in the dehydrated state, the more chance of losing strength you have. Don't go for small meals either. Eat til you feel sick. Take a break for an hour then eat til your sick again. Do that about 3 or 4 times and then taper it off. Keep downing as much water and gatorade as you can. At the proam I waddled around feeling like I was going to burst and it sucked but come meet day I was very well off on my weight.

mikesbench
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Lones, I think it's an excellent idea to practice this without the outcome being critical. Weight cutting is definitely a bit of an individual thing; both in terms of how much you can expect to lose and what methods are most comfortable for you.

I tend to do a little of the high sodium; then cutting sodium but not extremely strict. 3 days high sodium should be plenty; and the water tapering definitely works; especially if you throw in a mild diuretic like dandelion root or a specific water loss supplement like MHP Xpel thrughtout the high and low water intake ( up through Wednesday in your plan).

Food wise I usually stop eating 20-24 hours prior to weigh-in; this alone can cut about 4-5 lbs from me (a 181-198 lifter) and I also don't take in any water in this time frame. I have a physical job (carpenter) so I usually dress to sweat on thursday then based on how far along the weigh loss is I hit the sauna in about 30 minute increments and bring my scale along to monitor my progress. I generally go to bed with about 2 lbs left to lose and wake up close to where I need to be; and early enough that I can run to a sauna if I need to before heading to weigh ins.

Is this meet near home for you? or do you need to get a hotel? Hot showers can work well ( or hot cold alternating) or use the hotel bathroom as a sauna if you have no access to a sauna; just crank the shower and sit on the toilet in sweat clothes.

You already hve a good plan for regaining your weight. Just be sure to drink a lot of water throuhout the day Friday, along with decent sodium intake.

Do you take any supplements aside from protein now? Scheduling your supplements around the weight lss and regain can be tough too. For example creatine you'd want to cut out leading up to the weigh in, but use it as part of your regain plan on Friday.

I hope this helps; I wouldn't call myself an expert on cutting weight; but I've had decent success with this basic outline. I've dropped from about 194 to make the 181 class, but your definitely have to be careful and committed to doing it, so about 7% of my bodyweight. Travel can definitely add some dificulty to it all; but just keep the car heater cranked and bundle up.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Only other thing I would do is cut food on Thursday as well.

Post weigh in's I'd try and down a gallon of water or gatorade or pedialyte. Don't mess around. The longer you are in the dehydrated state, the more chance of losing strength you have. Don't go for small meals either. Eat til you feel sick. Take a break for an hour then eat til your sick again. Do that about 3 or 4 times and then taper it off. Keep downing as much water and gatorade as you can. At the proam I waddled around feeling like I was going to burst and it sucked but come meet day I was very well off on my weight.

thanks for the advice Travis. you were one of the ones i was looking forward to seeing post.

you think i should cut food too? or would i be okay with a couple boiled chicken breasts on thursday?

eating until i get sick is not a problem, either. i need to bloat!

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Lones, I think it's an excellent idea to practice this without the outcome being critical. Weight cutting is definitely a bit of an individual thing; both in terms of how much you can expect to lose and what methods are most comfortable for you.

I tend to do a little of the high sodium; then cutting sodium but not extremely strict. 3 days high sodium should be plenty; and the water tapering definitely works; especially if you throw in a mild diuretic like dandelion root or a specific water loss supplement like MHP Xpel thrughtout the high and low water intake ( up through Wednesday in your plan).

Food wise I usually stop eating 20-24 hours prior to weigh-in; this alone can cut about 4-5 lbs from me (a 181-198 lifter) and I also don't take in any water in this time frame. I have a physical job (carpenter) so I usually dress to sweat on thursday then based on how far along the weigh loss is I hit the sauna in about 30 minute increments and bring my scale along to monitor my progress. I generally go to bed with about 2 lbs left to lose and wake up close to where I need to be; and early enough that I can run to a sauna if I need to before heading to weigh ins.

Is this meet near home for you? or do you need to get a hotel? Hot showers can work well ( or hot cold alternating) or use the hotel bathroom as a sauna if you have no access to a sauna; just crank the shower and sit on the toilet in sweat clothes.

You already hve a good plan for regaining your weight. Just be sure to drink a lot of water throuhout the day Friday, along with decent sodium intake.

Do you take any supplements aside from protein now? Scheduling your supplements around the weight lss and regain can be tough too. For example creatine you'd want to cut out leading up to the weigh in, but use it as part of your regain plan on Friday.

I hope this helps; I wouldn't call myself an expert on cutting weight; but I've had decent success with this basic outline. I've dropped from about 194 to make the 181 class, but your definitely have to be careful and committed to doing it, so about 7% of my bodyweight. Travel can definitely add some dificulty to it all; but just keep the car heater cranked and bundle up.

thanks for the advice, buddy. i don't think i will add in a diuretic. this is practice, and remembering to take some pills isn't anything too out of the ordinary, haha.

the meet is 15 minutes away from my house.

i take a double serving of RESULTS every day, when should i cut this off? i don't think multi vitamins or fish oil should be too big of a deal...though thursday and friday i will not take them, until after weigh ins.

i really think i can cut something reasonable, such as 10 pounds with absolutely no strength decrease.

Ben Moore
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Cut the results a week out. You can take it day of.

Personally I like to rehydrate a little different. I'll down a bottle of pedialyte right after weighin and then wait 45-1 hour then down another mixed with a scoop or two of Nitrean. I'm sipping water the whole time. After the second one start munching on some chex mix or your favorite salty snack. Wait about an hour then start pounding food like Travis said. I like pizza for my refeeds because it has a ton of fats, protein and carbs along with more sodium. Try and get at least 1 gallon of water and another of gatorade before bed. Then the morning of before the meet try to get another gallon of water in.

The reason I space it out is because my stomach can't take all that right after water cutting and no food.

Lones, also on that thursday I usually don't eat much after noon. You can also down some magnesium citrate the night before and get rid of any remaining intestinal bulk. You get it at the pharmacy.

I've cut 25lbs for a strongman contest, but have yet to cut for PL, so keep that in mind.

Good luck man!

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 06:00 PM
thanks, Ben. what are some of your guys favorite sodium-free foods that i could eat on wednesday and thursday before noon? i'm going to do boiled chicken breasts for sure.

Ben Moore
09-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Really that is about it, LOL. Enjoy!

Reko
09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Let me know how it goes Lones, I'll be doing the same in November.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Really that is about it, LOL. Enjoy!

LOL greaaaat. at least its only for a day and a half.

and Reko, i will post the meet results in my journal along with an overview of my weight dropping experience for you.

SoreFoot8343
09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey is this something I can try say like starting next Monday to see what the results would be for a comp on Oct 4th? I dont think the high sodium is going to be an issue since I LOVE chineese food!!! And Lord know I could eat someone out of house and home when it's time to repack it back on after the weigh-in! I'm just not too sure about being able to down 2 gal of water a day?!

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Hey is this something I can try say like starting next Monday to see what the results would be for a comp on Oct 4th? I dont think the high sodium is going to be an issue since I LOVE chineese food!!! And Lord know I could eat someone out of house and home when it's time to repack it back on after the weigh-in! I'm just not too sure about being able to down 2 gal of water a day?!

sure, are you doing worlds?

its a lot of water, but its not hard. get a gallon jug and keep it with you at all times, and make sure you get 2 gallons a day. pretty self explanatory.

i don't think you want to eat too high over your maintainence calories when you are sodium loading, so take it easy with the chinese. just salt the hell out of everything.

SoreFoot8343
09-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah Lones, I'm in for worlds. Plan is that I'm gonna drive down (from NJ) on the 2nd and be able to walk into the early weigh-in on Fri. I think I'll be able to "fast" on the way down it's only 12.5 hrs to Chattanooga. Thank God I have my cb radio in my car so I can be talkn' trash on the way down to distract me from eatting/drinking.
Are you gonna be there?

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
yes, i will be there supporting my guys from Cell Block. you know its in gatlinburg though, right?

that is a long ass drive, but it will keep your mind on something besides eating.

Travis Bell
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM
thanks for the advice Travis. you were one of the ones i was looking forward to seeing post.

you think i should cut food too? or would i be okay with a couple boiled chicken breasts on thursday?

eating until i get sick is not a problem, either. i need to bloat!

Maybe a protein shake and some toast in the morning but thats about it.

I really wouldn't eat much. You can always eat a little should you get below your desired weight a little early.

Some people drop the weight really quickly, others it'll stop all of a sudden so until you know how your body cuts the weight you will want to be careful.

Lones Green
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Maybe a protein shake and some toast in the morning but thats about it.

I really wouldn't eat much. You can always eat a little should you get below your desired weight a little early.

Some people drop the weight really quickly, others it'll stop all of a sudden so until you know how your body cuts the weight you will want to be careful.

okay, cool.

do you think 10 lbs is a conservative goal?

SoreFoot8343
09-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah I know it's in Gatlinburg but the early weigh-in (Fri am) i read was in Chatt at Jessies gym? nah it's not that far. Remember I drive an 18 wheeler and have a dedicated run from NJ to CA. Like I tell my friends I'm almost home when I hit the TN/VA line LOL.
Hey whats up with "Teams" for worlds? Hmm somehow I missed that one. Or maybe I'm the fat kid no one wants in dodgeball? hehehe

Lones Green
09-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah I know it's in Gatlinburg but the early weigh-in (Fri am) i read was in Chatt at Jessies gym? nah it's not that far. Remember I drive an 18 wheeler and have a dedicated run from NJ to CA. Like I tell my friends I'm almost home when I hit the TN/VA line LOL.
Hey whats up with "Teams" for worlds? Hmm somehow I missed that one. Or maybe I'm the fat kid no one wants in dodgeball? hehehe

im sure he will let you weigh in there. they will have early weigh ins at the hotel as well.

its not really "teams," its just a bunch of entire gyms are doing it and its gets competitive, its what makes it really fun to watch...like the battle with Wenning and Fought at the Pro Am. say there is a 198 from NGBB thats strong as ass, Cell block might have a guy thats 198 thats ungodly strong (which we do, Brent Tracey) . they get to battle for the bigger total.

Travis Bell
09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
okay, cool.

do you think 10 lbs is a conservative goal?

10lbs will be a breeze once you get the hang of it

Lones Green
09-07-2008, 12:12 PM
10lbs will be a breeze once you get the hang of it

awesome, thanks for the help

lil' power
09-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Lones if this old lady got 7 lbs off doing the exact same routine you're using and replenished in 24 hours w/no strength lost, you should be able to get 10 easy...

Don't you remember it was you who told me cookies were your friend after weigh in ??? That and the Endurox.

Lones Green
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Lones if this old lady got 7 lbs off doing the exact same routine you're using and replenished in 24 hours w/no strength lost, you should be able to get 10 easy...

Don't you remember it was you who told me cookies were your friend after weigh in ??? That and the Endurox.

not to mention i am a lot heavier than you too. i will be eating just about every food from every food group after weigh ins. this meet is a trial for December :evillaugh:

i'm pumped for the pizza buffet...

Dave Schwab
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Lones, I'll send you a PM with direct links to some good info on other sites, mainly some info that Sam Byrd has put together on this topic. He recommends a cleanse diet the week of weigh-ins to drop a few lbs in unprocessed junk from your digestive tract, where your foods consist of the following:

1. oats
2. eggs
3. fish
4. yams
5. whey protein powder
6. nuts

I dropped 10 lbs pretty easily for my meet in April as a similar test, using only the water/sodium method and little change to diet. I'll decide here in a few weeks whether to cut for my upcoming meet or not, if so I'll follow a similar plan and clean-up the diet.

Donnajo
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
So is this just all water weight you are manipulating when you do this?

Lones Green
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
So is this just all water weight you are manipulating when you do this?

yes. Jason Coker just went from 181 to 223 the next day. he is using means that i'm not, but its all water

Lones Green
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
so tomorrow i have to cut out sodium...gotta boil up some chicken breasts tonight, hopefully i won't get too hungry.

i have to say i've been salting the hell out of everything, even putting some salt in my protein shakes (which have a decent amount of sodium in them already) and i haven't been noticing THAT much of a bloat. i believe this is because my diet is normally high in sodium, and i live with a bloat pretty much all the time :)

either way, tomorrow is the start of the tough part

Dave Schwab
09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
It really isn't too bad. Since you're not cutting calories, you can still eat as much low sodium stuff as you want. I had the hardest time with cutting the water, as I normally drink well over 1 gallon of water per day on normal days. It was nice to finally go longer than an hour without pissing though, as I'm sure you've been doing this week with all of the extra water intake!

Lones Green
09-09-2008, 03:57 PM
It really isn't too bad. Since you're not cutting calories, you can still eat as much low sodium stuff as you want. I had the hardest time with cutting the water, as I normally drink well over 1 gallon of water per day on normal days. It was nice to finally go longer than an hour without pissing though, as I'm sure you've been doing this week with all of the extra water intake!

yeah, i boiled 6 chicken breasts, that should do me, plus peanut butter, plus green beans, and some oatmeal.

the pissing is VERY annoying.

Travis Bell
09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
so tomorrow i have to cut out sodium...gotta boil up some chicken breasts tonight, hopefully i won't get too hungry.

i have to say i've been salting the hell out of everything, even putting some salt in my protein shakes (which have a decent amount of sodium in them already) and i haven't been noticing THAT much of a bloat. i believe this is because my diet is normally high in sodium, and i live with a bloat pretty much all the time :)

either way, tomorrow is the start of the tough part

Wait until after weigh in's :) Then you'll notice the bloat

Lones Green
09-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Wait until after weigh in's :) Then you'll notice the bloat

i'm sure i will. i plan on taking a picture of all the pizza i'm going to eat. :evillaugh: