PDA

View Full Version : Need help with diet---beginner!

lowfi
09-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I just started lifting weights to get back into shape and to put on a little muscle. I just turned 23, and am 5'10", 180 lbs. I need a little bit of help figuring out a diet regimen. I have no idea how many calories to eat...and for that matter...how many calories I burn a day. I've been going to the gym 4 days a week and doing cardio 2-3 times per week. Can anyone give estimates or tips on how much I should be eating or how to calculate calorie intake/deficit etc.? I know this is a very vague question, sorry about that. I also purchased Muscle Milk to supplement proteins for before and after workouts. My goals are to cut up a little bit and mainly just gain muscle mass.

Thanks for your help,

Sean

Willie
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
...to get back into shape and to put on a little muscle.

Hey Sean,

This is very vague.

What are your goals?

Your goal drives how you eat and how you train. There is no one-size-fits-all diet/training regimen.

ryuage
09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
go to fitday.com or thedailyplate.com and sign up for an account
weigh yourself tomorrow
track everything you eat for a period of time... say 7 days or even up to a month.
weigh yourself after

depending on goal,
if you gained weight, look at how much you ate and eat less than the calories it says on the website
if you lost weight, look at how much you ate and eat more than the calories it says on the website

lowfi
09-07-2008, 11:37 AM
hey thanks for the replies! Well my main goals I think are just to generally get back in shape. My more specific goals would be to break PR's on a regular basis (i can only bench 135) and then cut up in certain areas. I used to be in really good shape from playing water polo, swimming, hockey, etc. Now I have a gut from college and it bums me out. So I would like to trim down in the mid section and add on some more muscle to my upper body. Sorry if I cant be too specific, because im just starting and dont really know how to express specific # goals, workout types, results, etc.

Thanks for your help,

Sean

PS: bummed i couldnt attach a photo, my post count has to be 10 first

lowfi
09-07-2008, 11:59 AM
do you guys like fitday or mydailyplate better? I cant decide which one to use..have any preferences?

ryuage
09-07-2008, 04:13 PM
first off, you won't be able to spot reduce.

While it's possible to add some muscle and decrease bodyfat, it probably wouldn't be likely and is very hard to achieve. Figure out what means more to you now... either gain muscle or lose some fat and go from there.

ryuage
09-07-2008, 04:18 PM
do you guys like fitday or mydailyplate better? I cant decide which one to use..have any preferences?

well if it isn't obvious... I prefer thedailyplate

I don't know if fitday changed, but the dailyplate is more convenient as it allows other users to add food to their main database. You can literally type in a food or specific brand and more than likely have the nutrition facts pop up. I don't think there's there is one thing, including supplements, that has not already been added.

lowfi
09-07-2008, 05:15 PM
sweet sounds good, thank you so much for the help

DriVenWitHin
09-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey Lowfi,

How is your work out going? What have you been trying? Dieting? so forth.