PDA

View Full Version : Skipping breakfast....advise me.

theAdviserMe
09-07-2008, 04:42 AM
I know that it is not good to skip breakfast. But there are times that I have to hurry to work without breakfast at all.

Any idea on how to minimize the bad effects of this habit? Would supplementation help? :confused:

getfit
09-07-2008, 05:03 AM
oats-banana-berries-protein-water (i use organic apple juice as well) whip it up in the mixer and you're ready to go.

ryuage
09-07-2008, 10:07 AM
assuming you can control calories for the entire day, eating breakfast or not eating breakfast shouldn't be a problem.

cphafner
09-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I am not a morning person so I grab a quick shake before I leave. Then a couple of hours later I have "breakfast" at work.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Wake up earlier so you can make breakfast. If it matters to you, you'll find a way instead of asking a question that you already know the answer to.

Tennessee Mike
09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Breakfast should be HUGE!Eggs,pancakes,oatmeal,meat of some kind.It will set the tone of your entire day.And no,yogurt and bannannas are not good enough.

Brad08
09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
But there are times that I have to hurry to work without breakfast at all.

Any idea on how to minimize the bad effects of this habit?

Unless yo'ure a firefighter and there's a 7am blaze to fight, you have no reason NOT to eat breakfast. Get your ass out of bed and eat. Problem solved.

bcfit
09-08-2008, 04:01 PM
your body is starving for protein in the morning. good policy to eat breakfast and give it the nutrients you need for the day. breakfast is crucial

TopCat
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Wake up earlier so you can make breakfast. If it matters to you, you'll find a way instead of asking a question that you already know the answer to.

Yep. Worst case for me is 30 seconds to make a shake and another 30 seconds to chug it.

ryuage
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I guess I will reiterate... assuming you can control calories throughout the day, missing breakfast won't matter.

Gable
09-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Yep. Worst case for me is 30 seconds to make a shake and another 30 seconds to chug it.

Exactly. I keep a tub of whey in my bedroom and a few shakers, I hop out of bed, dump two scoops in a shaker, add a bit of water and chug.. THEN I get ready. and make a monster real food breakfast.

I know some people say you don't HAVE to if you are getting the cals in during the day. But for me, personally I fell a thousand times better when I eat like a king first am.

Good luck.

RhodeHouse
09-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I guess I will reiterate... assuming you can control calories throughout the day, missing breakfast won't matter.

It's a hell of a lot easier to eat when you fill up first thing in the morning. From persoanl experience, when I eat a little breakfast or skip it, I have a real hard time eating the rest of the day.

Any excuse not to eat is BS. You just spent 6-8 hours or more without food. How are you going to give your body what it needs if you go without food that long? You can't. Sure you can get calories in, but you're putting yourself behind the 8-ball by making up excuses for not eating.

Esperantistino
09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Don't agree here.. yes, waiting a few hrs won't make much of a difference, but waiting too long and you'll be diving head first into the wrong kind of foods.
Everyone is pimping protein.. boy, first thing you need to do in the morning is stop the glucoeneogenesis or breakdown of protein to make glucose. Do like the muslims do & eat a few dates. Or a few figs, apricots etc.
A good idea is to prepare your breakfast the night before and just grab it, choke it down on the go. This can be anything.. a shake, but also protein pancakes. And do take fruit with you.

Brad08
09-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Don't agree here.. yes, waiting a few hrs won't make much of a difference, but waiting too long and you'll be diving head first into the wrong kind of foods.
Everyone is pimping protein.. boy, first thing you need to do in the morning is stop the glucoeneogenesis or breakdown of protein to make glucose. Do like the muslims do & eat a few dates. Or a few figs, apricots etc.
A good idea is to prepare your breakfast the night before and just grab it, choke it down on the go. This can be anything.. a shake, but also protein pancakes. And do take fruit with you.

Stop talking.

Alternatively, please share exactly how much "glucoeneogensis" is going on in the morning. Take into account pre-bed meals. Then explain how and why protein does not "stop the glucoeneogensis." Take into account that nobody has prescribed a "protein only" breakfast.

hellagrant
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Unless yo'ure a firefighter and there's a 7am blaze to fight, you have no reason NOT to eat breakfast. Get your ass out of bed and eat. Problem solved.

I second that. Get up and at least microwave some oatmeals (2 mins), throw in something like a banana (0 min) and drink some milk(1 min).

SW
09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Set your alarm for 10 min earlier. And actually get up 10 min earlier as well. In addition, night time preparation is beneficial to almost all endeavors. Perhaps you can set out the things you'd like to eat in the morning the night before? There are many good recipes on this site, you could make your own super protein bars and eat 1-2 in the morning. Granola bars and cottage cheest right from the container are great ideas as well. What I do on occasion to break things up is eat a bowl of Grapenuts and yogurt mixed together, with a banana cut up in it. Very, very good. A bit sugary, but in the morning this should be ok.

borracho
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I know that it is not good to skip breakfast. But there are times that I have to hurry to work without breakfast at all.
:

I wake my fat ass up 330am-345am every day during the week to get to the bus on time (445am) to take me to work. I have time to make eggs, ham, cheese and shower and pack my lunch. If I dont wake up on time, I make a shake...if a tard like my self can do it...you can, as well. One thing that can help is doing all the prep work the night before, so all you have to do is cook it in the morning...and dont give me any of that **** that you dont have time at night..as RH said up above..if you want it, you'll figure a way out.

borracho
09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
And no,yogurt and bannannas are not good enough unless you're a dirty hippy that is prepping for a loooong laborious day at the local farmers market followed by a strenuous pilates session.

fixed it fer ya mike

Vince123
09-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Breakfast is an important meal. At least get a protein shake in.

itisbruno
09-14-2008, 01:21 PM
One of (I cannot post a link yet at a w to the front) ww.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=WP-1001 ok for a quick breakfast?

vdizenzo
09-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I just took a dozen eggs, a cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese, and 10 ozs of taco beef and filled a dozen flour tortillas. I wrapped them in plastic and put them in the freezer. Takes a minute to nuke it and a minute to eat. I used to start my day with a shake, but I find getting an extra food meal in me has worked wonders. It's just a little something so I chug a Nitrean shake about an hour later.

HP666
09-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I just took a dozen eggs, a cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese, and 10 ozs of taco beef and filled a dozen flour tortillas. I wrapped them in plastic and put them in the freezer. Takes a minute to nuke it and a minute to eat. I used to start my day with a shake, but I find getting an extra food meal in me has worked wonders. It's just a little something so I chug a Nitrean shake about an hour later.

Leave it to a veteran to share a BRILLIANT idea!!!! Damn fine idea, I will be making some of these tomorrow.

WORLD
09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
RhodeHouse pretty much hit the nail on the head by saying wake up earlier. It really is that simple.

If you don't have the disciplined to make changes in your routine, then I suggest making a shake. I'm often short on time and I prepare what I like to call a 'Big Boy Shake'.

It a simple recipe lots of people use.

-Berries
-Natural Peanut Butter
-Chocolate Whey
-Olive Oil
-2-3 cups Milk
-Oats (optional)

To make that takes about 5 minutes. To drink it, 10. If you can't sit around and drink it, put it in a big shaker cup and drink it on your way to work. I'm sure you don't live 1 minute from your house so you can find time to drink it in the car/bus etc.

That shake is about 1000 calories and is the easiest way to start off your day.

cphafner
09-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Is there a BK near you? I'm in love with their new breakfast wrap. Quick, cheap, and tasty. I want one now.

WORLD
09-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Is there a BK near you? I'm in love with their new breakfast wrap. Quick, cheap, and tasty. I want one now.

Really? Well then, I oughta try it!