PDA

View Full Version : workouts?

cougar23
09-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I have been looking for a good speed and strength program but cant seem to find one. Im looking for a routine that will help build massive overall speed and strength. Im a wide receiver in highschool right now but im just barely good enough to start. I have access every day to a full gym and agility ladders,parachutes, and drag sleds.If anyone could recommend something or help me start a custom routine that would be great thanks.

Willie
09-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Did you ask the track and field coach about speedwork like I suggested earlier?

Did you look for a speed coach, like Eric suggested?

Nothing has changed in the world since those posts.
Running fast improves your ability to run fast.

There is no gym short-cut you can take to developing real speed. You must condition your central nervous system to the stresses of sprinting. You do that by.....wait for it.....sprinting.

As for strength, everyone here swears by Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program.

cougar23
09-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes i have the track coach told me that a routine incorperating speed training with basic sprints and weighted runs will build speed. How do incoperate this into a routine though.

Willie
09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Yes i have the track coach told me that a routine incorperating speed training with basic sprints and weighted runs will build speed. How do incoperate this into a routine though.

OK, keeping in mind that I am primarily a cyclist, my current work-outs look something like this:

Monday-
AM- weights
PM- Speed drills *** (usually flat intervals)

Tuesday
AM- rest
PM- medium distance ride **

Weds-
AM- weights
PM- rest (or short ride or run*)

Thursday-
AM- rest (maybe, maybe a morning walk, or slow jog*)
PM- tempo ride or run **

Friday-
AM- weights
PM- Hill repeats ***

Saturday
AM- Long distance endurance ride or run* /**
PM- rest

Sunday
AM- Morning walk*
PM- rest (or evening walk if I feel like it.)

*= easy effort
**= medium effort
***= hard effort

This is just the way I do it because I have to squeeze training in between the rest of my life.

Note: hard bike/run efforts follow weights. I never do hard bike/run efforts the night before weights because I want to maximize my time under the bar. I feel that putting my hard road effort after weights helps increase my ability to work (on the bike and run) while fatigued. I think going into speedwork AFTER having done weights in the mornings helps make my speedwork more productive (i.e. helps make me faster).

If I do it the other way around, neither my weights nor my speedwork feel very productive.

The weights HELP the speedwork, not replace it.
You have to do the speedwork.

cougar23
09-07-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks a ton