PDA

View Full Version : Big Red's comeback

CuT USF FaN
09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Well for starters: A little background.

Name's Mike. I'm 16, 6'1", a junior in high school, and very into weightlifting. I first started working out as a little kid. Given, I'm talking stuff like 10 lb dumbbells and curls. But all my life I was very into football, strongman competitions and the likes. So i've always wanted to look big and strong, and BE big and strong.

Started seriously working out about a year ago from this point. A year ago at this time my highest bench was 185 and i weighed about 190. I got a lot bigger and stronger from there. By may of this year my bench was 280, squat 405, deadlift not sure, and clean and jerked 215. That was at about 235 lbs.

Summer killed me. I am now 250 lbs and max bench is most likely about 250 as well. Not sure about my other maxes. Needless to say, I've added lots of fat and lost muscle as well. It wasn't that i chose not to work out, but more that i couldnt. i didnt have weights and i couldnt drive, so the gym was out of the question.

Enough background. Now I'm going to discuss my goals as of now. My overall long term goal is to get back into the swing of things and be stronger than ever (and leaner too!). I hope to compete in states this year in the 238 weight class. And in order to do that, I'd like to be able to pause bench 320 and clean and jerk 250. This would get me into states.

So I want to accomplish that goal by about april next year. My short term goal, is to get back down to about 230 lbs (so i have some leaniency in my weight class) and get my bench and clean and jerk back to what they were a few months ago. I'd like to be able to bench 280 and clean and jerk 220 by the first of November.

Lately, like the past few weeks, ive gotten back into benching. Ive got 220 lbs and a crappy small bar (it works... kinda) at my house. That's what i will be using until about September 20 when i get my license. Then i will be at school in the weightroom every day. So lately ive just been benching 3 times a week. mon,wed, fri. Yes, i realize most say this is bad. But this is how i did it in football, and my bench went up 170 lbs in a year and 100 lbs in a school year.

Genetics are on my side. All of my family is big and strong. Tall, broad-shouldered and naturally big muscles. I've got a definite genetic advantage over many my size, and i must utilize this.

Well i think thats enough. My background, my goals, and my plans. I am keeping my mind open to all routines. So far ive used what knowledge i have (im not a beginner. Been reading around here for over a year) and just gone with the flow for the past month ive been back into it. When i was at school i followed a well-rounded tough workout routine that my coach gave me (and hes coached many state weightlifters).

But before i go, i must state my major weakness. Eating. Drinking. I eat often. And sometimes unhealthy. And my worst habbit is drinking. Not alcohol (although i do drink that sometimes do. i blame the irish genes, that stuffs just too good) Mountain dew and other sodas. I drink them often. More than whats healthy. And so far the hardest challenge for me as an individual is not getting myself in the weight room, but staying healthy outside of the weight room.

I hope this journal will help me straighten up and get back on the road to becoming a good weightlifter. And i really need and could appreciate any advice support or just plain inspiration you people here give me.

CuT USF FaN
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
YESTERDAYS food (8/7/08)
Pancakes with butter and syrup (bout 8 pancakes, light syrup and butter)
Carrots with lite ranch dressing.
2 bottles of water
1 can of mountain dew
3 cheeseburgers and a milkshake from checkers

Thats all for yesterday. I realize thats probably a very bad diet. But that's part of why im posting this. To realize wtf im eating (sometimes you dont realize how bad something is til you see it from another view). No exercise. I generally dont exercise on weekends.

Todays food! (9/8/08)
2 little waffle stick things and syrup (school lunch...)
chicken tenders, little potato wedges for lunch (again school lunch. not a lot)
2 pop tarts
some stirfry for dinner. brocolli, rice, and beef
like 10 oreos (oops...)
~1 gallon water
~36 oz milk
1 bottle mountain dew, 1 can diet dew

Todays workout!
Full stretch
Flat Bench:
180x10
180x10
180x11
180x12

Still experimenting with weight. not going too heavy without a spot. but i managed to finish this much very easily, i wasnt even planning on doing the extra reps, just did it cuz i felt like it was too easy. wednesday ill do 190 4x10

close grip:
couldnt do without spot =( the rack is super tight (the spot for the bar is where my hands go for close grip) and i found it too troublesome by myself. had to take weight off wide, shorten grip, bench and then widen to rack. will have to get a spot for this with my set...

Dips:
6x6
everytime ive done dips for the past few weeks ive had a shocking/numbing pain in my left hand. im thinking its because ive gotten weaker AND weigh more, causing more stress on my hand. oh well just a little pain.

dips seemed a little easier today. definitely getting my strength back in my arms.

Barbell shrugs:
160 3x12

Barbell bent row:
70 3x12
Not sure if this is the right term, nor am i sure im doing these perfectly (note: ive done them before and i know HOW to just not sure if im keeping good form)
so these were easy. a vid on these would be good to make sure im keeping good form. in case.

Just checked: using good form and it is bent row.

Straight-bar curls: 4x8 with 70 lbs

That's all for today. Also walked 2-3 miles and mowed both lawns (id say sweating for an hour in 95 degree heat counts for some kind of calorie burning...)

Goal for tomorrow: Eat better! more protein less junk!

Noticed nobody posted. Not like im expecting much replies anyways. But still, any reinforcement helps.

CuT USF FaN
09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Didn't post yesterday and i cant really remember what i ate. so nothing for yesterday.

Todays workout:

Flat bench: 4x10 with 190
not easy this time. but i definitely could have done more. will do 195 friday.

Dumbbell skull crushers: 3x12 with 30 lb dumbbells (heaviest ive got)

Dips: 6x6

Barbell shrugs: 5x5 with 190

Bent rows: 4x8 with 120

Straight bar curls: 3x15 with 60

Food so far:
1 sweet roll thing at school
2 hot dogs
~1 gal water
32 oz milk
5 pieces of pizza
some brownies

Did great til i headed over to my dads, but i was STARVING. so i needed to eat and thats what they had for dinner. need to eat more throughout the day...

CuT USF FaN
09-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, slacked off all weekend. Didnt work out friday. Drank a lot friday night. didnt do anything saturday. did very little sunday.

But hey, i guess all i can do is learn from my mistakes.

Monday:
Todays food:
2 doughnuts
1 chicken ceasar salad
1 turkey and cheese sandwich
3 double cheeseburgers
1 meatball sub (homemade not fast food, more healthy)
a little under a gallon of water
24 oz milk or so

NEEEEEEEEEED to buy WHEY! =(

Todays workout:
Flat bench: 4x10 with 195
got it all, moving up to 200 wednesday

hands still hurting while doing

Skull crushers: 3x12 with 30 lb dumbbells

Upright rows: 4x8 with 70 lbs
these REALLY hurt my wrists. keep in mind ive sprained both of my wrists before doing power cleans. so i DO have weak wrists

ANY ADVICE ON STRENGTHENING THEM??? need to be able to have tough wrists to Clean and jerk

Straight bar curls: 5x10 with 60

Decline weighted situps (25 lb plate)
4x15

Still no comments. I could use some reinforcement, comment please.

CuT USF FaN
09-17-2008, 05:15 AM
Yesterday was ok. Didnt do anything, but i didnt eat TOO bad. not good though.

Today I'm feeling REALLY sore. Surprisingly. Im used to working out every other day... must be that im finally getting up there in weight. Doesnt matter, next week i will be going to a mon/tues and thurs/fri routine.

thats right, getting license tomorrow =) will be able to work out at my school! no more gay rack and omg SQUATS! and power cleans. lol

ill post later after i work out

CuT USF FaN
09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Todays workout:
200 4x10
did this without a spot. felt risky, good =P

dips 6x6

shrugs: 4x12 with 140

Curls: 4x15 with 60

Weighted decline crunches: 4x15
last time i went down, extended the plate all the way over my head, brought it back to my chest, then went up. this worked REALLY well. my abs are actually still sore 2 days later! so im doin em again

todays food:
breakfast burrito (not fast food, school kind. healthier? maybe...)
barbeque sandwich
peanut butter crackers
pizza (about a whole tostinos... 2 servings)
~1 gal water
~50 oz milk

getting license tomorrow. will start working full body now =) since ill have transportation to a weight room.

CuT USF FaN
09-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Another weekend full of partyin and hanging out... so ya, slacked all weekend. feel so much weaker/low confidence after it all

Applied for 2 jobs today. will hit up 2 more tomorrow.

Todays workout:
Flat bench: 200 4x10
finished it again. would have done 205, but had no spot...

Upright rows: 3x12 with 70

Bent rows: 4x8 with 100

Bicep curls: 3x15 with 60

Decline weighted sit ups (with full extension over head)
4x10

Todays food:
little mini muffin thing
2 tacos and a milk
1 granola bar
2 plates of rice w/ mixed veggies and chicken
~1 gal water
32 oz milk

i NEEEEEED whey... i am having trouble getting HEALTHY meals throughtout the day... i end up eating very little and mostly unhealthy...

hopefully legs tomorrow at friends house for first time in forever

CuT USF FaN
11-22-2008, 09:13 AM
It's been 2 months since ive posted.
Mostly because i had not one bit of feedback or encouragement.

My initial goal was to bench 280 again by Nov 1. It's Nov 22 and I'm now repping 275 for 5x5. I still weigh 250. But its a small price to pay. Im just going to maintain this weight. Will be doing lots and lots of power cleans soon, for weightlifting season.

Just an update.

Coke
11-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Good luck with your plans, stay on it no matter what bro.