PDA

View Full Version : Am I just wasting my time? Help needed.

Incompl
09-07-2008, 11:58 PM
So I'm new to working out, but first, a little about me.

I'm 6'2 and 250 pounds. However, most of it is fat. Lately I've been losing weight and this is still my priority (I used to be 310). Because of my diet, I'm only consuming 1500 calories. Will this stop me from growing lean muscle?

Can I work out at all while losing weight?

Also, what is bulking? Should I bulk?

Thanks.

Willie
09-08-2008, 07:26 AM
No, you're not wasting your time.

310-250 is 60 lbs, dude!

Eat slightly more, eat clean, lift weights, do something that gets your heart rate up. At your weight, I'd recommend against anything too intense because your knees will take a pounding, but even walking on a treadmill, combined with eating right and lifting, will do wonders for you.

stick around here and good luck!

jmccown
09-08-2008, 08:22 AM
good advice Willie.

FireRescue
09-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Because of my diet, I'm only consuming 1500 calories. Will this stop me from growing lean muscle?

If you are new to weight training you might gain some muscle while in a caloric defecit otherwise the answer to this question is yes.

Can I work out at all while losing weight?
Absolutely. It will help you shed the fat.

Also, what is bulking? Should I bulk?

No. Bulking is eating and excess of calories to gain weight which will hopefully be muscle but inevitably some will be fat.

Answers in bold.

Incompl
09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

How much do you guys think I should be eating?

SW
09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
First, you should know that losing fat and gaining muscle at once is a difficult task, moreso as you get leaner. At 250 while training regularly, and attempting to gain muscle, I'd say you could get away with 2300 calories or so. As long as all the food is clean (good for you) and you keep your activity level up. This will slow the weightloss for sure, but then you'd have a chance at building more lbm.

ctwice23
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
make sure most of what you're eating is protein, if u eat a lot of protein during ur diet and can maintain or even gain muscle and lost bodyfat...do intense cardio two or three times a week, 3000 calories, 50,30,20 or even 50,40,10 would be good