PDA

View Full Version : Sawing and wood chopping - some good gpp!

J.C.
09-08-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm visiting my parents for a couple of weeks and I'm essentially seen as a free source of manual labour. They live out in the country so I spent the weekend cutting down three trees, then cutting into logs. Next on the list is chopping up two old cabinets for firewood and more sawing. Sorry - No chainsaw.

I'll be out today turning more of the felled tree into logs. Anyone else done much sawing? Any carpenters, tree surgeons out there? I didn't realise how tough it would be. My arm and shoulder was really aching by the end of the day from the sawing motion. Its good stuff.

I couldn't resist deadlifting the tree a few times either. Made me feel like a man. Grrr. :strong:

Willie
09-08-2008, 08:45 AM
There's a reason you never see lumberjacks in the gym! They get their workout at work!

Detard
09-08-2008, 10:12 AM
My dad makes me chop wood a few times a week. We have a large wood burning fireplace in my house and he loves having a huge pile of wood to burn for the winter. We recently got about 800lbs of wood from a huge oak tree. The tree was 3.5 feet in diameter. It's definitely a good workout and GPP.

Reko
09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Touche. We use sledgehammer hits to a tire as part of our gpp.

WillNoble
09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm visiting my parents for a couple of weeks and I'm essentially seen as a free source of manual labour. They live out in the country so I spent the weekend cutting down three trees, then cutting into logs. Next on the list is chopping up two old cabinets for firewood and more sawing. Sorry - No chainsaw.

I'll be out today turning more of the felled tree into logs. Anyone else done much sawing? Any carpenters, tree surgeons out there? I didn't realise how tough it would be. My arm and shoulder was really aching by the end of the day from the sawing motion. Its good stuff.

I couldn't resist deadlifting the tree a few times either. Made me feel like a man. Grrr. :strong:

Used to do that in college on our farm. There is no better GPP on earth than felling a tree. Jamie Hale has had several of his fighters at his gym do this. Can't recommend it enough

J.C.
09-09-2008, 04:40 AM
Used to do that in college on our farm. There is no better GPP on earth than felling a tree. Jamie Hale has had several of his fighters at his gym do this. Can't recommend it enough

Doesn't Rocky do this in one of the Rocky films? I can certainly see how all that arm, shoulder and back work would be beneficial to fighters.

I have about one and half more trees left to saw up now. But at the moment its pissing it down outside, so I'll leave it for another day.

J.C.
09-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I remember reading this a couple of years ago and just managed to dig it up again:
http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/hanna.htm

SW
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I grew up on a farm as well. This is the best workout ever. If you saw a few trees (3-4) with a chainsaw, cut them into stove length segments, then split them all, you have an all day affair and by the end you're crying for mercy if you haven't done it in a while! All in sweltering heat makes it better! For the record, I believe that using a chainsaw to cut stuff up with is the best forearm workout in the world.

LoneJeeper
10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I fell a couple trees at the new land and i use them as fingal fingers. Took some interesting math to figure out the weights/lengths. It's also harder to flip one direction than the other. end for end for a few lengths is killer.

SoreFoot8343
10-01-2008, 05:32 PM
SOunds like it would make a great winter vacation going up to the N.E and work out on the logging trails cutting trees down and dragging/loading trees on sleds :) hmmm I think I'll have to look into that.