PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a diet

Dkalban
09-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Since Im going to start lifting seriously very soon I need a good diet to build muscle, weight, and strength. The problem is that Im at school for most of the week and cant properly plan a diet on situations that are school related. So Im asking for some help in planning a good diet to help me gain muscle, weight, and strength (Try to not put a whole bunch of supplements in the diet b/c I cannot afford them right now), and when to eat them (esp. for during school).

Thanks in advance,
DK

Dkalban
09-08-2008, 10:41 PM
To be more specific, I need help bulking, esp with my schedule

McLaughlin
09-09-2008, 04:50 AM
If you have a fridge in your room... you could fill it with whole milk. It's awesome.

Other than that.. eat protein. Get cans of chicken and tuna, they're quick and easy to eat right out of the can between classes if you have time to get back to the room, else-wise fill a small bag with crackers and peanut butter or something for between classes, pbj's would work well also.

Get a bag of apples, the whole "apple a day" thing isn't a bad idea.

Yogurt is good too, either before class or even if you get some plastic spoons for like 97 cents and bring one with you on your way to class if you're in a hurry, you can down it and throw it away.

Bagels (for me anyway) are good even uncooked so I like to take them with me wherever I go. Spread PB on them for extra protein.

Dkalban
09-09-2008, 07:51 AM
hmmm bagels....:drooling::drooling:

Unfortunately, Im a NYCer in CT. Do you know how hard it is to find a decent bagel in CT? :mad::swear::soapbox::bang:

WillNoble
09-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Easy Dorm bulk Diet for kids who are broke:

Breakfast:

Oatmeal
2 PB sandwiches
half gal. whole or choc. milk

Mid Morning:

3 more PB sandwhiches

Lunch:

3 cans of tuna or chicken
8oz. of peanuts or cashews

mid-afternoon:

3 PBJ Sandwiches (on bagels if you can get em)
Beef Jerky
8oz. peanuts or cashews
finish the gallon

Dinner:

Im assuming you have a cafeteria, or some other place to get dinner.

Eat until you can't eat anymore

Late Evening

2 cups of Rice
2 cans of tuna or chicken

Remember:

You can get some good calories from fast food as well.

the 99cent menu at BK & Taco Bell should be your friend

also Chipotle or Qdoba are a very easy 1000+ kcals per meal

McLaughlin
09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
That bagel rage made me chuckle.

I'd say take Will's advice. At least as closely as you can manage financially.

WillNoble
09-09-2008, 11:24 AM
That bagel rage made me chuckle.

I'd say take Will's advice. At least as closely as you can manage financially.

yeah obviously mine is mor a guideline, than a strict diet. BUT you will see good results from it, when coupled with solid training

Donnajo
09-09-2008, 12:03 PM
hmmm bagels....:drooling::drooling:

Unfortunately, Im a NYCer in CT. Do you know how hard it is to find a decent bagel in CT? :mad::swear::soapbox::bang:

I am a NY city girl living in TN. It is much harder here. What I would give for a decent everything bagel or deli sandwich? :drooling:

I miss good bread too. A decent hard roll. Can't get those either here.

Tennessee Mike
09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I am a NY city girl living in TN. It is much harder here. What I would give for a decent everything bagel or deli sandwich? :drooling:

I miss good bread too. A decent hard roll. Can't get those either here.

I hear ya on that.Im a Jersey boy livin in TN.Me and the wife were making hot roast beef sanwhiches 2 weeks ago and I drove to at least 5 places.No hard rolls.They dont know what their missing here.

Dkalban
09-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks to everyone so far for their help! :D

To my fellow bageless tri-state exile brethren: HANG IN THERE! BE STRONG!

Invain
09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Definitely +1 for whole milk (whole chocolate is even better) and peanut butter sandwiches. I lived off that **** last year. Also, yogurt.

Dkalban
09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
hmmm...PBJ and chocolate milk sounds really good to me.

Gable
09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Those tuna bags/pouches whatever might be easy to toss in your bag to have something to munch on during school.. they last forever, are pretty cheap and you dont need a can opener.

PBJ's and milk is always a good idea.. bag of almonds in your backback, etc..

I pack all my food/shakes/pills, etc and throw em in my bag.. but I go to an office.. not school :D

Good luck!

McLaughlin
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Those tuna bags/pouches whatever might be easy to toss in your bag to have something to munch on during school.. they last forever, are pretty cheap and you dont need a can opener.

PBJ's and milk is always a good idea.. bag of almonds in your backback, etc..

I pack all my food/shakes/pills, etc and throw em in my bag.. but I go to an office.. not school :D

Good luck!

I gotta start doing that. Sitting at a desk all day is hard, especially with nothing to eat. Any good tips for a fellow office worker looking to eat healthy while sitting on my ass all day?

Dkalban
09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Im just glad that even though I have to pack a light lunch, i can make more food when I get back home. Luckily I did some food shopping yesterday with the rest of the dorm so some of the staple items (incl. milk) are already in the fridge. And we're picking up more today.

Dkalban
09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
What are some snacks I can sneak for between classes and such?

Gable
09-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Well, this is what I do.

Sunday afternoon cook up a bunch of chicken breasts, or fajitas, whatever. I'll also cook up a ton of brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.

Get those ziploc or whoever brand little cheap tupperware containers and portion out a weeks worth of meals, put about half in the freezer and half in the fridge. Toss em in your bag on the way to the office, nuke and enjoy. Half way through the week you can move the ones from the freezer to the fridge..whatever works.

I also mix ALL of my shakes for the week into ziploc baggies, and put those into a large bag for the day, same thing with my pills. Then I have a stack of "day" bags that I can chunk into my bag on the way to the office.

I have a fridge in my office, and try to keep it stocked with milk and diet redbull.. I'll keep tuna, oatmeal, almonds,,etc.. at my desk too.. just in case I need something extra.

I also save gallon jugs, and fill em with water and gatorade powder daily, and even keep a few spare bags of gatorade mix at the office too.. I don't want to be caught without any of my food, shakes, etc. EVER. If you make that your goal, you will see the path to do so pretty easily.

It seems like a lot of work, but it actually saves me time. If its easier for me to bring good food, supps etc. to work, its harder to eat like crap.

Our snack machine here is usually well stocked with milk too, in case I'm out.. but I hate relying on it.

Good luck!

Gable
09-10-2008, 10:55 AM

I would try to think of things that are easliy packageable, transportable and don't need to be refrigereated.

Cheese sticks
Almonds
Tuna
apples

I'm sure other folks have some more ideas..

Dkalban
09-10-2008, 11:13 AM
And what are some quick lunches (besides PBJ) I should make?

Gable
09-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Depends on what you can pack.

Tuna pouches are easy and loaded with protein
Sandwhiches in general, if you can make em in your dorm and bag em up for your day.
Maybe a bag of sliced celery and a tub of natty pb
nuts
Crackers and pb
hardboiled eggs, I wouldn't tote em around all day, but prolly ok for a mid morning snack.
Beef jerky

You gotta get creative here dude, being away from "cooking facilities" that long during the day.

Can you get some cheap whey? EAS 100% Whey is like 30$ for 6lbs at Sam's.. put two scoops each into a ton of zip locs.. toss a shaker in your bag with a few baggies.. hit the water fountain between classes and your set.

Reko
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Budweiser

Dkalban
09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Budweiser

I dont/cant drink.

Brad08
09-15-2008, 11:02 AM
To be more specific, I need help bulking, esp with my schedule

Liverwurst (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/sausages-and-luncheon-meats/1479/2)

Cheap, ridiculously high calorie and makes tasty sandwiches! Two good pieces of bread, a few hefty slices of liverwurst, some good cheese and mayo, and you've got an 800 calorie sandwich. Wash down with quart of milk and you've got 1300+ calories of goodness.

WillNoble
09-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Budweiser

True story:

In college Wendler and Deweese told me I should be drinking a case of regular beer every week in the offseason to help with weight gain for football, and I did, 24 beers spaced over 5 days a week, plus the ****load I was choking down on the weekends, plus I would conservatively estimate 8,000-10,000 calories a day. I went from a 245lb. freshman to a 325lb. Senior.

God, good times.

Dkalban
09-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I cant drink as Im under 21, Guess for now its food food FOOD!

WillNoble
09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Im not advocating underage consumption of alcohol

That being said....

If you are in college and can't get access to booze....thats just wrong

Dkalban
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Im not advocating underage consumption of alcohol

That being said....

If you are in college and can't get access to booze....thats just wrong

Its a community college, and im in a postgrad program at a high school.

WillNoble
09-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Its a community college, and im in a postgrad program at a high school.

it's post-secondary

therefore college

therefore drink

Dkalban
09-18-2008, 09:11 AM
it's post-secondary

therefore college

therefore drink

There's no alcohol on campus, and im 19 ergo cant drink.

WillNoble
09-18-2008, 09:15 AM
sigh

Dkalban
09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
sigh

Hey, im going to a real college this spring semester, maybe ill start drinking then.

Invain
09-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Or you could not drink if you don't really feel like it. You shouldn't feel pressured into drinking alcohol just because you're in college and it's 'teh coolz thing to do'. I don't drink very often anymore and I don't miss it one bit.

Dkalban
09-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Or you could not drink if you don't really feel like it. You shouldn't feel pressured into drinking alcohol just because you're in college and it's 'teh coolz thing to do'. I don't drink very often anymore and I don't miss it one bit.

yeah, im basically planning on being a teetotatler (sp?) for the majority of the time any way! Ive seen what alcohol has done to my peers, and im not going to do what they did. Besides, I may want to look like a frat boy, but not be a frat boy, if ya get my meaning.

Dkalban
10-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Hate to dredge up my old thread but I have a new problem. Weight gain is coming slowly, but faster than Im normally used to, but Im starting to gain a bit of fat around my middle. Im planning on doing some cardio today and tomorrow (when I also lift), but can you guys help me with a diet to gain muscle, and lose a bit of fat.

Thanks in advance :wave: