PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting for Baseball

Lunar Effect
09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
My son is heavily into baseball, and within the next few years he will be old enough to begin a regular weightliftinjg routine. Do you think that baseball require any specific type of training, or should the "bread and butter" compound exercises do the trick?

Thanks in advance for any tips...

ZenMonkey
09-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Basic compounds, HIIT, plyos

McCormicK407
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I am in the same situation, what my goals are, are to up my velocity, increase my bat speed and overall power, and what i have learned through various research is....

LEGS- A lot of your power comes from the base of your legs as far as hitting and even when trying to increase veloctiy and arm strength. The legs are the biggest muscles in your body

SHOULDERS- I train these extra, 3x a week to be exact but as far as muscles in your arms its probably the most important

FOREARMS- Mainly for quicker bat speed

FLEXIBILITY- This is mainly for velocity but just think about it for a second, if your arm can go back farther(while being comfortable of course) it will further enhance your speed on the ball.

LONG TOSS- Probably the most effective thing for gaining arm strength and stamina.

I suggest you google some articles and read and up your knowledge on your situation.

joemeglio
07-18-2010, 09:51 PM
There are no "sport specific" exercises baseball players should do. Instead the weight room should be used to build strength and power through basic compound movements. The transfer will come through playing and practicing at maximum intensity. I wrote about this in my blog post: http://megliofitness.com/sport-specific-training-for-baseball/

BTW how old is your son? The best thing for a young athlete is to play as many sports as possible. Hopefully this answered your question.

My son is heavily into baseball, and within the next few years he will be old enough to begin a regular weightliftinjg routine. Do you think that baseball require any specific type of training, or should the "bread and butter" compound exercises do the trick?

Thanks in advance for any tips...

ThomasG
07-19-2010, 07:41 AM
West side tailored towards his goals.