PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade, bad?

Z 2 8
09-09-2008, 12:54 AM
After a workout, or a run, is it a good idea to down some gatorade? I've heard mixed opinions about this. Some people have said it's a good idea for glycogen replenishment, but others say it doesn't matter, because of the amount of sugar in it...So, drinking water, or a quick protein isolate would be better...I'm stuck, what do you guys think?

Lones Green
09-09-2008, 03:19 AM
gatorade = GOOD

it replinished glycogen...but is bad because it has a lot of sugar? you have a bit of reading to do my friend.

McLaughlin
09-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Drink gatorade.

Twice.

Repeat.

manowar669
09-09-2008, 05:08 AM
The OP didn't specify pre-made Gatorade, or the powder. The pre-made liquid gatorade is made with high fructose corn syrup. The body preferentially uses fructose to refill liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen. The Gatorade powder, on the other hand, is dextrose and sucrose (which is a molecule of fructose, and a molecule of glucose). 3/4 of the sugar in Gatorade powder is glucose/dextrose, which is good for the muscles.
Gatorade liquid = pass.
Gatorade powder = pretty good.

zen
09-09-2008, 06:05 AM
The OP didn't specify pre-made Gatorade, or the powder. The pre-made liquid gatorade is made with high fructose corn syrup. The body preferentially uses fructose to refill liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen. The Gatorade powder, on the other hand, is dextrose and sucrose (which is a molecule of fructose, and a molecule of glucose). 3/4 of the sugar in Gatorade powder is glucose/dextrose, which is good for the muscles.
Gatorade liquid = pass.

good post

Also, liquid gatorade has brominated vegetable oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated_vegetable_oil)

Reko
09-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Gatorade liquid = expensive
Gatorade powder = cheap.

Fixed :hello:

ehubbard
09-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Gatorade liquid = pass.

Good post x 2

You could also mix some Waxy Maize Starch (WMS) and Protein as a post workout shake. I believe At Large will be selling the WMS soon.

Unreal
09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Cutting? Bulking? Goals? If your bulking or trying to add weight, then why run? If your cutting and run and burn 300 calories, then down 350 calories in gatorade you just took a step back. Yes you will get cardio and your heart and lungs will like it, but you will not lose weight.

Brad08
09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I'll say it doesn't really matter. To a large degree, whether it "matters" or not depends on how MUCH glycogen you need to replace, and you might be surprised to find out how little is used during certain types of exercise. It's not like you do some bench press and curls and suddenly you've exhausted all glycogen stores. It's actually pretty tough to deplete them.

FWIW, I'd take the powder over teh liquid as well b/c of the sucrose issue, but not a big deal unless you're dieting.

Z 2 8
09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm leaving for the Air Force in January, so i'm running a lot. I time myself every other day running 1.5 miles to make sure i can pass PT with ease. I do sit ups, push ups, biceps and triceps every other day. So, i would say i'm cutting. I'm 5'8 143-145

Lones Green
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
i always use the powder

zen
09-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I was just in the market a half hour ago and I picked up a box of gatorade powder packets and it was dextrose and sucrose, but to my suprise, it included partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. WTF!!!