PDA

View Full Version : Need a new routine... suggestions?

Hazerboy
09-10-2008, 03:40 AM
Since summer started I've been doing a 4 day a week westside routine and I really like it, but once school starts september 29th I really don't think I'm going to have time to lift 4 days a week. I tried doing westside 3 days a week last year (one week i'd do lower body twice and upper once, next week I'd do upper body twice and lower once) though I didn't like it too much, I'm not really sure why. Maybe its because I didn't have bands so I didn't always get much out of my speed work, or maybe I didn't quiet figure out what worked for me like I have now (more squat/deadlift specific ME excercises, "breaking in" new ME stuff by using it as assitance, etc).

Plus, I'm still a pretty intermediate lifter and I think I still have a lot of gains to make on straight up rep work. In the past I've tried 20 rep sqauts (went from 135 - 160 lbs), 5x5, rack work, and some stuff from Brooks D. Kubicks "Dinosaur Training."

Anyways, I'm looking for something new for the next few weeks. My goals are to improve my Big three along with doing a one arm chin up (30 LBS TO GO!!!). I also do a lot of grip work though I don't think I need to change anything there. I'll probably enter another powerlifting contest in november. My current routine is here if you wanna check it out: http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=112151

Stats are in my sig, but I'm pretty confident I'm going to nail a 430 squat, 280 bench and somewhere around a 515 deadlift in a week or two before school starts. I weigh around 190 also, and I don't really feel like putting on any weight though I wouldn't mind it (I'll be lucky if i maintiain 190 on dorm food! XD )

Any suggestions? Whats worked best for some of you guys when you were at my level?

Thanks!

-Trent

ehubbard
09-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Also buy my ebook...

Training Three Days a Week E-Book (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=2795)

Ben Moore
09-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Also buy my ebook...

Training Three Days a Week E-Book (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=2795)

LOL - this might be a good read for you at this point HB.

Hazerboy
09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
UGH Monies?!! I said I was in college! I have no monies for ebooks! I can barely buy real books!

Lol j/k man. The reviews look pretty good, so I may have to sacrifice buying a 30 pack or two to pick it up :-p

ehubbard
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Word, Monies be needed yo!

Excuses are like ass-holes, everyone has them and they all stink.

Why are you paying for beer in college? Cant you just go to a party and get free beer? Why dont you give up the sauce for a week or two and buy yourself a set of light bands since you dont have them and see if this helps you make gains with your speed work?

On top of that, you are in college, you have all the free time in the world. Try getting a job and see how much time you have to train then.

Hazerboy
09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Oh sorry I just re read my previous post and it wasn't really clear. When I was trying westside 3 days a week I didn't have bands, though this summer I finally got some (tried some at ben's place and realized they were DEFINITELY worth the buy). I think that, plus the fact that I'm training four days a week is why I've gotten some EXPLOSVIE gains this summer on westside, so maybe I'll rethink training 3 days a week with it.

And free time? ho ho! I go to one of the biggest nerd schools in the country, the university of chicago, studying THE biggest nerd major possible, physics. I have free time like most nerds have biceps.

that being said, what you do guys think of cycllng bands for straight rep work? I've been trying it with chin ups/pull ups for sets of 3s and 5s and I feel like its helped my speed and lockout, even though I'm going fairly heavy ( adding 30-70 lbs of weight along with 60 lbs of resistance in bands). In interested to see where my chin up max has gone because of it in a few weeks. I'm wary of trying it for staright up squats or deads though because I'm afraid I'll burn out, and I've never really heard of anyone trying it out.