PDA

View Full Version : 1st meet jitters. .....help

Donnajo
09-10-2008, 11:36 PM
So I am competing on Saturday deadlift. As a female I am just eating a lot and don't care I will probably go in at a heavier weight class and I totally recomped my body.which is a good thing.. I am taking the week off from training but I just want to lift and reassure myself i can lift. I know I am not losing strength but my mind wants to train. I want to lift to make sure i still can. This is my first meet so I am nervous. I need some guidance. I can't sleep which I need but I am nervous and excited at the same time. I have been thinking all week and imagining my lift. I am an ex competitive swimmer and I was always nervous. I used to throw up before my race. I just want to lift heavy something to see I still can but I know that would be detrimental. I just need reassurance. I have nerves but am excited too. I put a lot of pressure on myself.

KarstenDD
09-10-2008, 11:57 PM
At this point you should probably just rest, eat a lot, and drink a lot more. You know you can lift the weight, you just need to wait until Saturday to do it.

Lones Green
09-11-2008, 03:15 AM
CHILL!

it's just lifting weights - i don't know how else to put it

Eric Downey
09-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Its already thursday so training is out of the question. If you were gonna pull i would have said do it tues but very light or just some minor lower back work. First meet jitters is normal. you'll be fine. Good luck and dont eat to much you wanna stay in the smaller class if you can. Goodluck

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Just relax, open up with weight you can do @ least three times and enjoy the journey!

COMPETITION EQUIPMENT CHECK LIST

1. Gym bag
2. dl suit or none if going unequipped
3. wrist wraps
4. singlet
5. belt
6. Cooler
7. Protein shake & variety of snacks
8. H20
9. Towel
10. Camera
11. Membership card
12. Extra $$$$
13. Extra clothes
14. Pen
15. Rubbing ointment
16. Deodorant
17. Vitamin H20

ehubbard
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
The jitters suck, but once you do it once you get through your first meet you should get over it. Just make sure your opener is light enough that you could do it easily. The most important thing is not bombing out. I lifted raw and had a singlet that was, uh, too tight in the neather regions so I had some jitters about that. Plus the Wednesday before the meet I ran down 41 flights of stairs scared for my life because there was an expolision accross the street (needeless to say it was steam pipe that blew). On that note:

Never Forget the Fallen!

Oh and Good Luck!

Travis Bell
09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I used to get really nervous at meets. I'd get there and think "why the heck do I do this? I hate competing. I'm so freakin nervous" etc etc.

I just got to the point where I was so confident in my openers, in my training and the like that I didn't care. I KNEW I was going to be good. You just have to force yourself to relax, its kinda hard

Just remember, there's no starting gun here, you're not against anyone, you can begin the lift when you like, just take your time and think through what you need to do.

AdamBAG
09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Powerlifting is the one sport where there is a true comraderie. You are going to have a lot of support from the fans and other lifters (who never met you). Just relax and have fun.

Donnajo
09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks. Wow I reread my post and I even write nervous.LOL. I promise to shut up now and just do it.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Don't forget to post your results, pictures & videos too!

Enjoy the journey:)

PriestCometh
09-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Good luck. Put on your IPOD or MP3 and zone out.
Read a book. Watch a movie or two. Anything but
liftin in your head until after weigh ins.

Dave Schwab
09-11-2008, 06:16 PM
You'll be fine Donna. This is why you pick easy openers, particularly in your first meet, so you are certain to nail it no matter how nervous you are, which will in turn give you the confidence to nail the heavier attempts and set PR's. Someone told me during my first meet something that sounds pretty harsh, but actually did help. Nobody else there really gives a damn what you do on the platform and probably won't even remember it. You're doing this all for yourself.

fulldaddy
09-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Someone told me during my first meet something that sounds pretty harsh, but actually did help. Nobody else there really gives a damn what you do on the platform and probably won't even remember it. You're doing this all for yourself.

Thanks for sharing that - it actually made me laugh and I feel better about mine next weekend.

Knopfy
09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
think positiv, and we are waiting for results

Donnajo
09-15-2008, 09:59 AM
think positiv, and we are waiting for results

I posted a thread in videos and pics which is donnajo's 2 and 3 attempts at the meet. Also , they are in my journal. dj's powerlifting journey.

Results were
1- 235 easy
2-265 easy
3-300 got it up and locked it but got redlighted for hitching. Oh, well was glad I got it up there.

Overall, the experience was great, everyone was helpful, and as usual I stress for nothing. LOL