PDA

View Full Version : 23,000 Bic Macs

Tennessee Mike
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
This is admirable.We should all strive to be like Mr Gorske.He may not get into Rhodestown(he's thin),but he deserves an honorable mention.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/10/big.macs.record.ap/index.html

Brad08
09-11-2008, 07:49 AM
he's 6-foot-2 and weighs 185 pounds ... He eats two Big Macs and two parfaits a day.

Will someone PLEASE sticky this in the BB'ing section. I'm already tired of all the twigs over there saying "ya gotta eat clean or you'll get t3h f@t!!"

Reko
09-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Agreed. I saw an article once about a person who did the opposite of super size me. Ate MCDs every meal and lost weight.

KingWilder
09-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Just because he's not fat doesn't mean he's healthy...

Brad08
09-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Just because he's not fat doesn't mean he's healthy...

Just because he benches 700 doesn't mean he's healthy...

Just because he does Cultfit doesn't mean he's healthy...

Just because he runs marathons doesn't mean he's healthy...

Just becaues he is 10% bodyfat doesn't mean he's healthy..

Where are you going with this??

Tennessee Mike
09-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Healthy?We can be healthy when we're old and have to drink prune juice.What does getting jacked have to do with health?

Invain
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Haha.

powerboy93
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
well how is his heart doing?

Bigmac 2 servings:
Calories 1080(Kilojoules 4514)

% DV**
Total Fat 58 g 89%
Sat. Fat 20 g 100%
Trans Fat 3 g <-- no good
Cholesterol 150 mg 50%
Sodium 2080 mg 87%
Total Carbs. 90 g 30%
Dietary Fiber 6 g 24%
Sugars 18 g
Protein 50 g
Calcium 500 mg

Parafit 2 servings:

Calories 320(Kilojoules 1338)

% DV**
Total Fat 4 g 6%
Sat. Fat 2 g 10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg 3%
Sodium 170 mg 7%
Total Carbs. 62 g 21%
Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%
Sugars 42 g
Protein 8 g
Calcium 300 mg

total cals: 1400

Will someone PLEASE sticky this in the BB'ing section. I'm already tired of all the twigs over there saying "ya gotta eat clean or you'll get t3h f@t!!"

who says he dosent eat healthy the rest of the day? this is why you should eat clean or else you will get FAT and flabby, i am not saying every once in a while will kill u though..

mantaince for a 54 y/o with his weight/height is 2101 Calories/day (pretending he has 0 exercise)

Keith
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
who says he dosent eat healthy the rest of the day? this is why you should eat clean or else you will get FAT and flabby, i am not saying every once in a while will kill u though..

Stop posting. Seriously.

KarstenDD
09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I got a semi when I was reading this article. He's only 185 so it went away though.

WORLD
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Bud, you know that you could get FAT and flabby by eating too much "healthy" food?

Reko
09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
mantaince for a 54 y/o with his weight/height is 2101 Calories/day (pretending he has 0 exercise)

He walks 10 miles a day.

"That's when I started a habit where I kept them in the freezer," he said. He keeps one or two burgers on hand but increases his inventory to four to five during the winter"

HAHA This guy rocks

Invain
09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Lol wow, I didn't even read that part. Man after about 3 days in a row I wouldn't even be able to stand the smell of a big mac.

Brad08
09-11-2008, 08:30 PM
That Big Mac stuff is unhealthy. He should switch to double quarterpounders, which only have 740 calories and still have 48 grams of protein.

Ben Moore
09-11-2008, 08:52 PM
It's the secret sauce that gets ya...

KarstenDD
09-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Lord, it goes straight to my hips.

Reko
09-12-2008, 06:27 AM

Thats what she said

alex11012
09-13-2008, 04:17 AM
That Big Mac stuff is unhealthy. He should switch to double quarterpounders, which only have 740 calories and still have 48 grams of protein.

Often to get a quick protein hit at work. I order 2 quarter pounders without cheese.

Once did that everyday for a week and I'm still on a clean bulk - Angus burgers are better though.

RhodeHouse
09-13-2008, 10:31 AM
This guy is a F@#$ING genius. To all you "gotta eat healthy", tiny little boys out there - I told you so, bitches. McDonalds is fine for you. Stay in shape and you can eat whatever you want. I know you health nuts will come up with some lame double-blind, controlled, manipulated study to "prove" that Big Mac's are bad for you. You're wrong again. This man should be revered and celebrated. He is living proof that The Food of the God's is nothing but fabulous. I salute you, Big Mac Guy. Ruining theories of 140lb "weightlifters" since the 1970's. This, is a Real Man of Genius.

chris mason
09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Rhodes, I think almost anything in some moderation is ok. I agree with you there. Too much of it is not a good thing.

someoneunlikeyo
09-13-2008, 12:23 PM
He's definetely has some kind of OCD. If he dosen't have one in a day, he probably feels like someone is ripping his arm off. Some people are just very very very... very consistant.

Oh man, imagine what the micro-waved Bic Mac would taste like after sitting in the freezer for a year:omg:

RhodeHouse
09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
He's definetely has some kind of OCD. If he dosen't have one in a day, he probably feels like someone is ripping his arm off. Some people are just very very very... very consistant.

Oh man, imagine what the micro-waved Bic Mac would taste like after sitting in the freezer for a year:omg:

It would be delicious!

essentialherb08
09-14-2008, 12:29 AM
McDonalds can get you in shape and that shape is usually round.

WORLD
09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
McDonalds can get you in shape and that shape is usually round.

Oh, really?

vdizenzo
09-14-2008, 05:14 AM
McDonald's is bad for you. It could cause you to weigh more than 160 lbs :evillaugh:.

Brad08
09-14-2008, 07:02 AM
It would be delicious!

HAHAHA

joey54
09-14-2008, 07:24 AM
This guy is a F@#$ING genius. To all you "gotta eat healthy", tiny little boys out there - I told you so, bitches. McDonalds is fine for you. Stay in shape and you can eat whatever you want. I know you health nuts will come up with some lame double-blind, controlled, manipulated study to "prove" that Big Mac's are bad for you. You're wrong again. This man should be revered and celebrated. He is living proof that The Food of the God's is nothing but fabulous. I salute you, Big Mac Guy. Ruining theories of 140lb "weightlifters" since the 1970's. This, is a Real Man of Genius.

This would be a great campaign for McDonalds after all that negative attention from SuperSize Me. I hate how they try to go healthier with their foods. Too bad Bud did the Real Men of Genius first. I think it was bud anway.

powerboy93
09-14-2008, 09:14 AM
well ok you wont get flabby... but how about all that transfat, not good for your heart? lmao in my state there thining about banning trasnfat from resturants.

Reko
09-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Sucks for you

BFGUITAR
09-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Trans fat and sodium are probably the biggest negatives.

Trans fat is bad for you any way you cut it. And don't let body weight determine ones health. You can have a crappy heart at any weight due to diet. Don't need to be fat to have a heart attack.

BFGUITAR
09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Sucks for you

Ignorance at it's finest. Banning trans fats from restaurants is a great idea. Don't think they won't still be serving fries and burgers, theyll just use trans fat free ingredients which is great.

Trans fat stays in your blood stream longer which increases risk for plaque formation. So not only are you killing your heart but your not even getting the caloric value of that fat to go towards muscle building! So how can you says it sucks to have them banned?

Reko
09-14-2008, 10:57 AM
you mean sodiYUM?

AJ_H
09-14-2008, 11:15 AM
"I also promised her I wouldn't cut my hair and in 20 years I haven't."

am I the only person who noticed this? LOL

vdizenzo
09-14-2008, 12:57 PM
This is such and f'ing joke. The gov't is getting involved with transfat, but will let tobacco and alcohol run rampant.

powerboy93
09-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Ignorance at it's finest. Banning trans fats from restaurants is a great idea. Don't think they won't still be serving fries and burgers, theyll just use trans fat free ingredients which is great.

Trans fat stays in your blood stream longer which increases risk for plaque formation. So not only are you killing your heart but your not even getting the caloric value of that fat to go towards muscle building! So how can you says it sucks to have them banned?

/agree

Reko
09-14-2008, 01:13 PM
sigh....
Time to go to the dollar menu to soothe the burn.

BFGUITAR
09-14-2008, 02:51 PM
This is such and f'ing joke. The gov't is getting involved with transfat, but will let tobacco and alcohol run rampant.

I am confused... are you angry that the government is actually doing something for the health and safety of it's people or that it's neglecting other much more important health damaging behaviours?

Tobacco and alcohol have dug it's roots in our culture. Banning it would only cause problems.

Alcohol I would disagree with banning altogether. There is such things as safe alcohol consumption. A little alcohol will not damage ones body what so ever and as we all know can provide health benefits.

Tobacco and trans fat offer no real health benefit in any amount and only cause harm. Banning these two substances would not bother me personally.

Reko
09-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm not for banning anything myself. How about instead of spending the money on enforcement or compliance, they instead spend it on education (about the possible dangers/side effects) and leave it at that? If I want to eat a deliciously unhealthy burger, so be it.

powerboy93
09-14-2008, 03:01 PM
dont most people workout to be healthy? if so why chow down on unhealthy food?

Reko
09-14-2008, 03:07 PM
No. I TRAIN to be strong. Being healthy is a side effect of working out, and eating like crap neutralizes the good effects so its a wash overall, allowing me to eat it without too many problems that a normal, non working out person could have

vdizenzo
09-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I am confused... are you angry that the government is actually doing something for the health and safety of it's people or that it's neglecting other much more important health damaging behaviours?

Tobacco and alcohol have dug it's roots in our culture. Banning it would only cause problems.

Alcohol I would disagree with banning altogether. There is such things as safe alcohol consumption. A little alcohol will not damage ones body what so ever and as we all know can provide health benefits.

Tobacco and trans fat offer no real health benefit in any amount and only cause harm. Banning these two substances would not bother me personally.

I just want the government to stay the "f" out of my business. If there was a heavy tax on transfat the gov't would be happy to let it slide. Be careful which personal liberties you are willing to give up. One day transfat, the next it could be protein and creatine.

vdizenzo
09-14-2008, 03:38 PM
dont most people workout to be healthy? if so why chow down on unhealthy food?

I don't train to be healthy. I train to be strong. Interestingly I am quite healthy. I chow down on unhealthy food because it tastes so good!

Mosnar
09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
One day transfat, the next it could be protein and creatine.

that would be a disaster of epic proportions

KarstenDD
09-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Trans fats killed my father, and raped my mother.

Brad08
09-14-2008, 05:21 PM

there are so many things wrong with this post, I don't know where to begin.

lucky for you, I don't care what you think enough to spend time picking you apart.

suffice it to say, wake me up when scientists agree on a nutritional/health issue, and have evidence beyond a study here or there. Remind me, are eggs bad for me? Or good? Or are we back to bad again??

Sean Hatley
09-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Healthy? What is that?

RhodeHouse
09-14-2008, 06:21 PM

WRONG! Tobacco is shown to help anxiety and stop food cravings. I don't need to site it. In a rant about alcohol and tobacco, interestingly enough, with a licenced Therapist, it was pointed out that there are, in fact benefits, my little friend.

Just like you stated, in small amounts, there's nothing wrong with alcohol. We here in the real world refer to this a moderation. So, alcohol is fine in moderation, but trans fat and tobacco are not? Interesting.

Sean Hatley
09-14-2008, 06:56 PM
i want a big mac now.

Keith
09-14-2008, 07:18 PM
i want a big mac now.

I just had one. Well, 2 double cheeseburgers dressed as a mac! Cheaper and more calories than a BigMac.

essentialherb08
09-14-2008, 09:32 PM
McDonald's is bad for you. It could cause you to weigh more than 160 lbs :evillaugh:.

Its quality not quantity senor. That place is evil i swear. Except for the Big Mac secret sauce. Whats in that stuff anyway I'd like to pour some over my eggs. Its Thousand Island dressing right?

BFGUITAR
09-14-2008, 10:02 PM
WRONG! Tobacco is shown to help anxiety and stop food cravings. I don't need to site it. In a rant about alcohol and tobacco, interestingly enough, with a licenced Therapist, it was pointed out that there are, in fact benefits, my little friend.

Just like you stated, in small amounts, there's nothing wrong with alcohol. We here in the real world refer to this a moderation. So, alcohol is fine in moderation, but trans fat and tobacco are not? Interesting.

Basically yes. I was unaware about the beneficial effects of smoking tobacco but I personally don't think it out weighs the cons.

Trans fat offers nothing beneficial. I have not seen any research stating that trans fat improves performance or health.
Would drinking gasoline offer any health benefits? Is there such thing as drinking gasoline in moderation?

I am confused... the argument here is to make fast food healthier and tastier at the same time. What's wrong with that?

BFGUITAR
09-14-2008, 10:04 PM
there are so many things wrong with this post, I don't know where to begin.

lucky for you, I don't care what you think enough to spend time picking you apart.

suffice it to say, wake me up when scientists agree on a nutritional/health issue, and have evidence beyond a study here or there. Remind me, are eggs bad for me? Or good? Or are we back to bad again??

Eggs contain zero trans fat. They are completely healthy and would never say otherwise. I am confused about what you think im saying.

BFGUITAR
09-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I just want the government to stay the "f" out of my business. If there was a heavy tax on transfat the gov't would be happy to let it slide. Be careful which personal liberties you are willing to give up. One day transfat, the next it could be protein and creatine.

Tax on trans fat? Trans fat isnt a commodity like protein or creatine. It's a byproduct of a process. Instead of using butter they just take vegetable oil and through some chemical reactions make margarine and some trans fat.

Taking away trans fat will only increase flavour and taste. Butter tastes better than margarine.

vdizenzo
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Its quality not quantity senor. That place is evil i swear. Except for the Big Mac secret sauce. Whats in that stuff anyway I'd like to pour some over my eggs. Its Thousand Island dressing right?

Oh no, it is quantity chico. MASS moves MASS!

essentialherb08
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
True true but like Anold Schwarzenegger said "you cant flex fat." So what kind of mass it is matters. Maybe the answer is quality in quantity.

vdizenzo
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
True true but like Anold Schwarzenegger said "you cant flex fat." So what kind of mass it is matters. Maybe the answer is quality in quantity.

Yeah, I am not sure on this whole thing. I have seen some ripped guys, but if you put a shirt on them (which is how most of us spend our lives) you could never even tell they lifted. It's good to be swole shirt on or off.

essentialherb08
09-15-2008, 04:33 PM
So what is teh secret sauce peoplE??

Reko
09-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Man ranch.

=Travis=
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Man ranch.

Baby Gravy?

Reko
09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Si!!

RhodeHouse
09-15-2008, 08:52 PM

You're 160lbs. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't talk. You know nothing of which you speak. Like Vincenzo said, if you have to have your shirt off to "look" like you lift weights, well, that's just sad. Eat some trans fat.

Hell, I squatted 930, benched 560, and pulled 755 eating trans fats. Some jackass tell me that I could've done better eating no trans fats. In fact, make sure you're smaller than me, too (6'4" 322lbs, 17%BF) Somebody give me the study that tells me that I would have done better not eating trans fats. I NEED to see this before I believe anyone who is smaller and weaker and HEALTHIER than I am. And, by the way, all my vitals are perfect.

I read a study that eating healthy makes you a pu$$y. And, that's a fact.

=Travis=
09-15-2008, 09:05 PM

My nomination for quote of the day.

BFGUITAR
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
You're 160lbs. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't talk. You know nothing of which you speak. Like Vincenzo said, if you have to have your shirt off to "look" like you lift weights, well, that's just sad. Eat some trans fat.

Hell, I squatted 930, benched 560, and pulled 755 eating trans fats. Some jackass tell me that I could've done better eating no trans fats. In fact, make sure you're smaller than me, too (6'4" 322lbs, 17%BF) Somebody give me the study that tells me that I would have done better not eating trans fats. I NEED to see this before I believe anyone who is smaller and weaker and HEALTHIER than I am. And, by the way, all my vitals are perfect.

There is no study to prove either or. But would you care if your McDonalds contained no trans fat? Assuming it tastes the exact same (or better).
Trans fat is seen to cause health problems, this is a proven fact. Your vitals are all perfect but the funny thing about chronic illnesses is that they take time to manifest itself.

I remember you saying that you would drink bull semen if it added 10lbs to your bench. There are no studies out there proving whether eating healthy or not improves ones strength. But just on the facts that

1) There are no negatives to eating healthy in terms of performance
2) It can only help, even if only a little.

You say you put in 100% into lifting and bust your balls. But if eating healthy can only benefit ones self (which can be deduced from common sense) even just a little, why not throw it in?

Rhodes, your a strong mofo, but the fact that your vitals right now are perfect says nothing about how healthy you are. A person is only healthy if their lifestyle promotes health, that is the definition of health. Not if they can go to the doctor and walk out without any obvious problems. That's the whole idea of a chronic illness. They seem to "come out of no where".

Guido
09-16-2008, 09:47 AM
That story rocks.

RhodeHouse
09-16-2008, 09:54 AM
My nomination for quote of the day.

Thank you, sir. I appreciate your support in these hard times.

RhodeHouse
09-16-2008, 10:00 AM
There is no study to prove either or. But would you care if your McDonalds contained no trans fat? Assuming it tastes the exact same (or better).
Trans fat is seen to cause health problems, this is a proven fact. Your vitals are all perfect but the funny thing about chronic illnesses is that they take time to manifest itself.

I remember you saying that you would drink bull semen if it added 10lbs to your bench. There are no studies out there proving whether eating healthy or not improves ones strength. But just on the facts that

1) There are no negatives to eating healthy in terms of performance

You say you put in 100% into lifting and bust your balls. But if eating healthy can only benefit ones self (which can be deduced from common sense) even just a little, why not throw it in?

Rhodes, your a strong mofo, but the fact that your vitals right now are perfect says nothing about how healthy you are. A person is only healthy if their lifestyle promotes health, that is the definition of health. Not if they can go to the doctor and walk out without any obvious problems. That's the whole idea of a chronic illness. They seem to "come out of no where".

So, a healthy lifestyle promotes healthy living? Tell that to George Burns. He lived to 90+ and smoked cigars everyday. Healthy? How about Jim Fixx (SP)? Remember him? The jogger guy. He ran everyday and dropped dead at 50 or so, from a heart attack.

So, running = healthy, smoking cigars = unhealthy. I'd rather be George Burns.

I'm not living and lifting to be healthy. I'll worry about that when the time comes. I refuse to spend my life worrying about stuff that'll kill you no matter what you do. None of us are getting out of this alive, so why not enjoy every minute of it? Trans Fats and all. I want a refried Big Mac and a glass of hot fat.

Guido
09-16-2008, 10:03 AM
True true but like Anold Schwarzenegger said "you cant flex fat." So what kind of mass it is matters. Maybe the answer is quality in quantity.Actually, I believe the quote is "You can't flex bone."

Brad08
09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
There is no study to prove either or.

That's the goddamn problem! Every couple of years a new study comes out one way, then later another one comes out the other way. Surely you'd agree that scientists have uncovered very few FACTS where nutrition and human health is involved. Their advice is constantly shifting. Their state of knowledge TODAY shouldn't automatically result in banning food X or food Y.

There are no studies out there proving whether eating healthy or not improves ones strength. But just on the facts that

NO. You're assuming one thing is "healthy" and the other is not. But that is the very issue in question. What is "healthy" and why "ought" we eat that way?

the fact that your vitals right now are perfect says nothing about how healthy you are.

Well then we're all potentially doomed. Are you healthy right now?? How do you know, if vitals aren't an indicator??

Face it: most of the "be healthy" nutrition preachers don't know what makes you healthy and what doesn't. They just pretend to.

brihead301
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

You know what the #1 best thing I ever did was?

I stopped eating "clean".

Not only did I start to allow myself to eat the wonderful food that this world has to offer rather then deprive myself of it. But now my gains are BETTER!!!!

By not eating clean:

I get the "are you on steroids?" question popped to me about once a week.
I'm stronger.
I get to eat as many donuts as I want
I look better.
I put bacon on everything.
I'm happier.
I have more energy.
I get more vagina.

When I was eating "Clean":

Life sucked.
I never ate donuts.
I would order turkey sandwiches at my favorite pizza place.
I didn't eat much bacon.
I didn't get much vagina.
I was weaker.
It was hard to gain weight.

Ben Moore
09-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

Not only did I start to allow myself to eat the wonderful food that this world has to offer rather then deprive myself of it. But now my gains are BETTER!!!!

By not eating clean:

I'm stronger.
I look better.
I'm happier.
I have more energy.
I get more vagina.

Life sucked.
I never ate donuts.
I didn't eat much bacon.
I was weaker.

Bolded the key points here...

brihead301
09-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I eat a lot of donuts too though. Sometimes I'm not sure which I like better - donuts or vagina. Both have their pros and cons ya know?

Brad08
09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd have a much easier time bulking if I liked sweets. Last night I was standing in the kitchen complaining that I didn't feel like eating a bowl of ice cream before bed and my wife got pissed. LoL

Yes I know what this means.

Reko
09-16-2008, 11:48 AM
To the Khan!

=Travis=
09-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I eat a lot of donuts too though. Sometimes I'm not sure which I like better - donuts or vagina. Both have their pros and cons ya know?

Dude, carry some powdered sugar and sprinkles into the bedroom with you and dash the appropriate parts while eating and your problem is solved.

brihead301
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Not a bad idea Travis. Much appreciated!

BFGUITAR
09-16-2008, 02:52 PM
That's the goddamn problem! Every couple of years a new study comes out one way, then later another one comes out the other way. Surely you'd agree that scientists have uncovered very few FACTS where nutrition and human health is involved. Their advice is constantly shifting. Their state of knowledge TODAY shouldn't automatically result in banning food X or food Y.

NO. You're assuming one thing is "healthy" and the other is not. But that is the very issue in question. What is "healthy" and why "ought" we eat that way?

Well then we're all potentially doomed. Are you healthy right now?? How do you know, if vitals aren't an indicator??

Face it: most of the "be healthy" nutrition preachers don't know what makes you healthy and what doesn't. They just pretend to.

Vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals help the body do it's job. We know exactly what pathways each vitamin and mineral are responsible for. We know a great deal and I disagree that we know little about health. We know when someone is deficient in anything with a simple blood test. We can formulate diets based around things like this. A healthy diet always changed because there is more and more research coming out. But does that mean any of the old research is wrong? Chances are it's better than what you or I can come up with. That being said, there is still a lot we don't know as health science is very new. But we do know that certain foods have been seen to cause problems while others don't. If someone is so dedicated why even bother with foods that MAY cause problems (which can be proven) and go with something that is seen to not (or maybe benefit)?

Am I healthy? Well I don't smoke, I exercise, I drink my milk, I generally replace fast food with my own burgers and steak, I eat enough fiber, I get enough sleep... You decide. And vitals only tell you your condition right now. The interesting thing about health is that it is studied over the long term. Your question is as silly as a newb coming on to the forums and saying "I have been working out for two weeks and don't look any different, what am I doing wrong?". Working out is a long term commitment and is only seen in the long term. Why is health any different?

And Rhodes, one example is meaningless. I would rather eat a 21oz steak with mashed potatos than a bigmac. And worrying when the time comes won't do any good... because at that point it would be out of your control... no point worrying about something you can't control.

essentialherb08
09-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

Funny cuz the best thing I ever did is eating clean. When I was eating fast food and all that good stuff my lifting sucked and I was 210 pounds o' chunk.

Now eating clean I'm stronger than ever. Gaining strength quicker than ever and staying lean all while still gaining weight. Ive gained 20 pounds since june off eating fruits and steaks. Go figure.

Some people can do great off cheese burgers and some don't.WTF.

Tennessee Mike
09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
. I want a refried Big Mac and a glass of hot fat.

Stop it bro,your makin me hungry.Damn.

Sean Hatley
09-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I get more vagina.

That is always good. Always.

KarstenDD
09-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Please tell me that this means what I hope it means.

Invain
09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals help the body do it's job. We know exactly what pathways each vitamin and mineral are responsible for. We know a great deal and I disagree that we know little about health. We know when someone is deficient in anything with a simple blood test. We can formulate diets based around things like this. A healthy diet always changed because there is more and more research coming out. But does that mean any of the old research is wrong? Chances are it's better than what you or I can come up with. That being said, there is still a lot we don't know as health science is very new. But we do know that certain foods have been seen to cause problems while others don't. If someone is so dedicated why even bother with foods that MAY cause problems (which can be proven) and go with something that is seen to not (or maybe benefit)?

Am I healthy? Well I don't smoke, I exercise, I drink my milk, I generally replace fast food with my own burgers and steak, I eat enough fiber, I get enough sleep... You decide. And vitals only tell you your condition right now. The interesting thing about health is that it is studied over the long term. Your question is as silly as a newb coming on to the forums and saying "I have been working out for two weeks and don't look any different, what am I doing wrong?". Working out is a long term commitment and is only seen in the long term. Why is health any different?

And Rhodes, one example is meaningless. I would rather eat a 21oz steak with mashed potatos than a bigmac. And worrying when the time comes won't do any good... because at that point it would be out of your control... no point worrying about something you can't control.

Wow I could not have worded this any better.

brihead301
09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Funny cuz the best thing I ever did is eating clean. When I was eating fast food and all that good stuff my lifting sucked and I was 210 pounds o' chunk.

Now eating clean I'm stronger than ever. Gaining strength quicker than ever and staying lean all while still gaining weight. Ive gained 20 pounds since june off eating fruits and steaks. Go figure.

Some people can do great off cheese burgers and some don't.WTF.

By not eating clean I didn't mean all crap foods. I eat lots of good stuff, but I just don't avoid the "bad" stuff. Hell, when I'm hungry I'll eat some Taco Bell or something, but I still eat tons of meat and eggs and s***, and milk and protien shakes and all that good stuff.

It's a beautiful thing.

And KarsteenDD, are you thinking I'm a cop, lol? HEALLLZZ NO!!!! But it seems that way from my post eh?

RhodeHouse
09-16-2008, 09:35 PM

You guys ever watch Charlie Brown? This is like the parents. "Whah Whah Whah Whah Whah Whah."

Let me ask you a few things:

1. Are you a doctor?
2. If no, then how do you know vitals are not a good place to start assessing health?
3. Why do doctors bother with taking BP, and blood tests if it is, in fact, not a good barometer of health?
4. Am I healthy? I exercise (like you), I don't smoke (like you), I get my milk in cereal, I generally replace fast food with "clean" food, I have no trouble crapping, ever, I sleep very well.

So, if I eat a Big Mac once a week (which is rare), how am I not healthy? If I use fast food as a method, tried and true, to gain weight when I need to, how am I not healthy?

So, you ramble on about health and exercise being measured over the long-term. If I'm "healthy" now, as I have been the last 10 times I've gotten my physicals, how is that not over the long-term? Ever time, my vitals come back perfect. So, what's your argument, now? For the past 4-5 years, I've been "healthy" and commended by my physician on my health. Thru 4 surgeries, all with full blood tests, heart exams, and vitals being checked and rechecked, I'm healthy as a horse. And, over the last 5 years I've gained 70 -80lbs. Each time the doctor sees my weight, he starts chomping at the bit to tell me to lose weight and "live better", but, alas, he can't. He always comes back amazed at how "healthy" I am, despite my massive size (I am massive) and my "questionable" eating habits.

And, your last point is brilliant. No point in worrying about things you can't control. Exactly. That's why I'll live longer than you. I don't worry about stuff that just doesn't matter.

Save face and shut up. You sound ridiculous. Send me your address so I can send you a few bucks to get an "escort". You need to release some stress, brother.

KarstenDD
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
And KarsteenDD, are you thinking I'm a cop, lol? HEALLLZZ NO!!!! But it seems that way from my post eh?

I was just hoping that you were eating bacon covered donuts.

BFGUITAR
09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
You guys ever watch Charlie Brown? This is like the parents. "Whah Whah Whah Whah Whah Whah."

Let me ask you a few things:

1. Are you a doctor?
2. If no, then how do you know vitals are not a good place to start assessing health?
3. Why do doctors bother with taking BP, and blood tests if it is, in fact, not a good barometer of health?
4. Am I healthy? I exercise (like you), I don't smoke (like you), I get my milk in cereal, I generally replace fast food with "clean" food, I have no trouble crapping, ever, I sleep very well.

So, if I eat a Big Mac once a week (which is rare), how am I not healthy? If I use fast food as a method, tried and true, to gain weight when I need to, how am I not healthy?

So, you ramble on about health and exercise being measured over the long-term. If I'm "healthy" now, as I have been the last 10 times I've gotten my physicals, how is that not over the long-term? Ever time, my vitals come back perfect. So, what's your argument, now? For the past 4-5 years, I've been "healthy" and commended by my physician on my health. Thru 4 surgeries, all with full blood tests, heart exams, and vitals being checked and rechecked, I'm healthy as a horse. And, over the last 5 years I've gained 70 -80lbs. Each time the doctor sees my weight, he starts chomping at the bit to tell me to lose weight and "live better", but, alas, he can't. He always comes back amazed at how "healthy" I am, despite my massive size (I am massive) and my "questionable" eating habits.

And, your last point is brilliant. No point in worrying about things you can't control. Exactly. That's why I'll live longer than you. I don't worry about stuff that just doesn't matter.

Save face and shut up. You sound ridiculous. Send me your address so I can send you a few bucks to get an "escort". You need to release some stress, brother.

I have not made any claims that a doctor can only make.

A big mac once a week is nothing. But I have seen you advocate eating that and much more in a day.

1) I am not a doctor
2) It is a way of making sure nothing is wrong, not that everything is right. Think about that.
3) Again, it looks at your current health, nothing more. Why do you think the doctor always asks if your sleeping well, eating right, exercising... because he knows that these things contribute to long term health. A blood test tells you nothing about what will happen down the road. Why? Because the blood isn't from the future!
4) If you were to replace crappy foods with more nutritious foods than yes. I don't know your diet. A big mac a week is insignificant. So would 2 or 3.

Rhodes, you are young. You could easily live for another 50 years. The past 10 times you have shown to be healthy but unhealthy behaviour is seen in the far future. If you were 50-60 than I would shut up, but your not. 4-5 years is nothing. If I eat unhealthy now do you think in 5 years (25) I will show serious signs for it? Heck no. No one is going to hit world records in bench after 5 years of working out. Your not going to see serious negative or positive health effects from 5 years of unhealthy/healthy lifestyle.

I don't really know how I sound ridiculous. Your the one claiming that after 5 years of simple health checkups at your age is good enough to determine what will happen decades down the road.

I love this typical modern American thought process... everything is about now.

Willie
09-16-2008, 11:12 PM

That's right.

In American English, "health" is defined as simply the slowest possible rate at which you will die.

RhodeHouse
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
I have not made any claims that a doctor can only make.

A big mac once a week is nothing. But I have seen you advocate eating that and much more in a day.

1) I am not a doctor
2) It is a way of making sure nothing is wrong, not that everything is right. Think about that.
3) Again, it looks at your current health, nothing more. Why do you think the doctor always asks if your sleeping well, eating right, exercising... because he knows that these things contribute to long term health. A blood test tells you nothing about what will happen down the road. Why? Because the blood isn't from the future!
4) If you were to replace crappy foods with more nutritious foods than yes. I don't know your diet. A big mac a week is insignificant. So would 2 or 3.

Rhodes, you are young. You could easily live for another 50 years. The past 10 times you have shown to be healthy but unhealthy behaviour is seen in the far future. If you were 50-60 than I would shut up, but your not. 4-5 years is nothing. If I eat unhealthy now do you think in 5 years (25) I will show serious signs for it? Heck no. No one is going to hit world records in bench after 5 years of working out. Your not going to see serious negative or positive health effects from 5 years of unhealthy/healthy lifestyle.

I don't really know how I sound ridiculous. Your the one claiming that after 5 years of simple health checkups at your age is good enough to determine what will happen decades down the road.

You're 20, and you think you can tell me about health? At your age, you should really shut your mouth. You know nothing of health, sickness, or anything. I don't waste my time on people like you. You ahev little to no experience, yet you preach on. I know you think that because you read all the BS out there that you know something. You have made it blatantly obvious that reading your posts is a colassal waste of time. Good luck to you and all of your worries about health. We Americans choose to live life and not worry about it. I'll be busy living, lifting, and having a good time not worrying about BS. Good luck to you. I hope you wake up sooner, rather than later. Until then, I'll keep getting praied by my doctor.

samj
09-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I thought he had some valid points but me i eat "healthy" and eat crap here and there and thats the way i like it

Tennessee Mike
09-17-2008, 04:35 AM
I would hate to live life spending all the time I have here worrying about how healthy I was and researching,obsessing about it .If you do the right things and avoid the wrongs,you will be fine.Moderation is key.Remember...

"Every man dies,but not every man lives"

Brad08
09-17-2008, 06:17 AM
The past 10 times you have shown to be healthy but unhealthy behaviour is seen in the far future.

Any evidence that a perfectly healthy individual, with a clean health record over the past ten years, who eats "unhealthy" foods (according to you), will have "unhealthy behaviour" in the future? How far? Ten years isn't enough....20 years?? 25 years?? And how do you know?

Your not going to see serious negative or positive health effects from 5 years of unhealthy/healthy lifestyle.

see above

I don't really know how I sound ridiculous.

Because you have yet to PROVE or even offer any substantial evidence that unhealthy eating automatically equals "bad health" at some point in the future. Just like everyone else, you go around parroting things about diet and lifestyle that you can't even begin to prove.

Admit it, it just makes you feel good (superior) to squawk about "healthy" this and "healthy" that.

brihead301
09-17-2008, 06:39 AM
I was just hoping that you were eating bacon covered donuts.

You, my friend, are a genious.

Tennessee Mike
09-17-2008, 06:39 AM
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

By not eating clean:

I'm stronger.
I look better.
I'm happier.
I have more energy.
I get more vagina.

Life sucked.
I never ate donuts.
I didn't eat much bacon.
I was weaker.

This is a true success story.I commend you on taking the advice of who are bigger and stronger.Instead of googling all their statements and challenging every word they say like a geek.You are a true testament to what this site can offer.You should do seminars..

WillNoble
09-17-2008, 08:58 AM
God Im late to the party on this one. I hate being on work trips with little to no internet.

Anyway, Im with Rhodes on this one:

Ive had multiple blood tests as well, have had stress tests as heart disease is rampant in my family, and regular physicals and guess what. At over 300lbs. (360+ when I first got to KC) I am incredibly "healthy" my blood pressure is very low, my resting heart rate is in the high 60's, and my ldl's and hdl's are fantastic. That being said everyone reads that Im a 300lber and therefore Im "unhealthy"???! what a crock of ****

Preach on brother Rhodes!

Holto
09-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

By not eating clean:

I'm stronger.
I look better.
I'm happier.
I have more energy.
I get more vagina.

Life sucked.
I never ate donuts.
I didn't eat much bacon.
I was weaker.

What was your daily caloric intake when you were eating clean?

What was your daily caloric intake when you stopped eating clean?

brihead301
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
What was your daily caloric intake when you were eating clean?

What was your daily caloric intake when you stopped eating clean?

I don't know. I don't count calories. I don't need to.

It's all about the training. If I'm extra tired, then I know I either am not eating enough, sleeping enough, or both.

I eat when I'm hungry, and I eat a lot.

I'm in damn good shape too.

Invain
09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
ss tests as heart disease is rampant in my family, and regular physicals and guess what. At over 300lbs. (360+ when I first got to KC) I am incredibly "healthy" my blood pressure is very low, my resting heart rate is in the high 60's, and my ldl's and hdl's are fantastic. That being said everyone reads that Im a 300lber and therefore Im "unhealthy"???! what a crock of ****

Preach on brother Rhodes!

What does weight have to do with anything? The whole argument in this thread was geared towards unhealth diets. Of course there's plenty of 300+ lb guys that are in great shape.

And seriously, who deleted my posts in this thread without at least a nice pm as to why they were removed? What a bunch of childish censorship. I said nothing in any of my posts that warranted them be deleted.

Ben Moore
09-17-2008, 11:47 AM
What does weight have to do with anything? The whole argument in this thread was geared towards unhealth diets. Of course there's plenty of 300+ lb guys that are in great shape.

And seriously, who deleted my posts in this thread without at least a nice pm as to why they were removed? What a bunch of childish censorship. I said nothing in any of my posts that warranted them be deleted.

If you had read the whole thread instead of jumping in at the end you'd know that there was a tangent talking about how healthy an individual is based on the typical doctor's analysis.

Invain
09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
If you had read the whole thread instead of jumping in at the end you'd know that there was a tangent talking about how healthy an individual is based on the typical doctor's analysis.

My bad, you're right. I did read the whole thread, I just wasn't paying attention and read Will's post wrong.

BFGUITAR
09-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Any evidence that a perfectly healthy individual, with a clean health record over the past ten years, who eats "unhealthy" foods (according to you), will have "unhealthy behaviour" in the future? How far? Ten years isn't enough....20 years?? 25 years?? And how do you know?

see above

Because you have yet to PROVE or even offer any substantial evidence that unhealthy eating automatically equals "bad health" at some point in the future. Just like everyone else, you go around parroting things about diet and lifestyle that you can't even begin to prove.

Admit it, it just makes you feel good (superior) to squawk about "healthy" this and "healthy" that.

That would depend on the person's age. You don't see many 30 year olds getting heart attacks after eating crappy all his life. 40 year olds? More so. 50? Yes. 60+? Many. There is a reason why old people get heart attacks, its from a LIFE TIME of constant use and even abuse. Old people will get heart attacks but abusing ones body with unhealthy lifestyle will INCREASE chances. Do you really want me to cite the fact that a 60+ person is more likely to get a heart attack than a 30 year old? This is science, you can deduce a hell of a lot of information from this. If we know that the elderly generally get heart attacks and such while younger 30 year olds don't, it must mean what ever is causing these problems aren't a result of something short term but rather long term. Long term can mean a lifetime.

Chronic illnesses - especially heart disease, cancer, and diabetes- are main contributors to disability and death. These are diseases in which psychological and social factors are implicated as causes. Personal health habits such as diet and smoking are IMPLICATED in the development of heart disease and cancer...

Health Psychology sixth edition page 7 Published by McGraw Hill

This is a powerful statement It says that bad diet is IMPLICATED in the development of heart disease. This is all a statistic thing. If we have 2 300 pounds powerlifters who may or may not live a healthy lifestyle who make it to 80 year old and die from natural causes it says NOTHING about anything. It's not saying he's unhealthy (which is a claim I never made. I never said you couldn't be healthy at 300lbs) but it just adds nothing to the final answer. If we have 100 000 of them, than we may be on to something. The monkey see monkey do attitude only works if the monkey sees hundreds of thousands. If you think one sample is good enough to find an answer, good luck finding the electron :P.

I somewhat answered your second point. I never said unhealthy behaviour WILL cause problems in the future. It just increases your chances. I have hard evidence from a book with pages of sources showing that an unhealthy may cause problems down the road. What is "down the road"? Read above.

Everyone is making this issue seem so black and white. I have never said unhealthy eating=problems down the road. I am saying it MAY cause problems down the road. Seeing one person live until 90 yet smoke cigars on a regular basis means nothing in terms of a 35 million statistic. A marathon runner dropping dead at 50 is the same (although being an elite runner isn't viewed as healthy, they put their body through hell to be on top).

Finally, my whole point with this is why eat and live poorly when there IS A CHANCE (nothing more) that it can cause problems? People fight for the extra little advantage. Placing yourself in a position where you MAY OR MAY NOT have problems at some point in life doesn't follow that line of thinking. And I can assure you, every elite lifter here wants to life until the day he dies. And it's not even like an unhealthy lifestyle will only kill you early, put as noted above, can put you out of commission. Lets just say instead of living until 85 you live until 75. But chances are, your not going to die from the chronic illness at 75. Chances are it will hit you early, possibly from 65-70. Now you have 10 years of your life to live with this illness which WILL stop you from doing things you love doing. I would rather die at 65.

RhodeHouse
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
That would depend on the person's age. You don't see many 30 year olds getting heart attacks after eating crappy all his life. 40 year olds? More so. 50? Yes. 60+? Many. There is a reason why old people get heart attacks, its from a LIFE TIME of constant use and even abuse. Old people will get heart attacks but abusing ones body with unhealthy lifestyle will INCREASE chances. Do you really want me to cite the fact that a 60+ person is more likely to get a heart attack than a 30 year old? This is science, you can deduce a hell of a lot of information from this. If we know that the elderly generally get heart attacks and such while younger 30 year olds don't, it must mean what ever is causing these problems aren't a result of something short term but rather long term. Long term can mean a lifetime.

Chronic illnesses - especially heart disease, cancer, and diabetes- are main contributors to disability and death. These are diseases in which psychological and social factors are implicated as causes. Personal health habits such as diet and smoking are IMPLICATED in the development of heart disease and cancer...

Health Psychology sixth edition page 7 Published by McGraw Hill

This is a powerful statement It says that bad diet is IMPLICATED in the development of heart disease. This is all a statistic thing. If we have 2 300 pounds powerlifters who may or may not live a healthy lifestyle who make it to 80 year old and die from natural causes it says NOTHING about anything. It's not saying he's unhealthy (which is a claim I never made. I never said you couldn't be healthy at 300lbs) but it just adds nothing to the final answer. If we have 100 000 of them, than we may be on to something. The monkey see monkey do attitude only works if the monkey sees hundreds of thousands. If you think one sample is good enough to find an answer, good luck finding the electron :P.

I somewhat answered your second point. I never said unhealthy behaviour WILL cause problems in the future. It just increases your chances. I have hard evidence from a book with pages of sources showing that an unhealthy may cause problems down the road. What is "down the road"? Read above.

Everyone is making this issue seem so black and white. I have never said unhealthy eating=problems down the road. I am saying it MAY cause problems down the road. Seeing one person live until 90 yet smoke cigars on a regular basis means nothing in terms of a 35 million statistic. A marathon runner dropping dead at 50 is the same (although being an elite runner isn't viewed as healthy, they put their body through hell to be on top).

Finally, my whole point with this is why eat and live poorly when there IS A CHANCE (nothing more) that it can cause problems? People fight for the extra little advantage. Placing yourself in a position where you MAY OR MAY NOT have problems at some point in life doesn't follow that line of thinking. And I can assure you, every elite lifter here wants to life until the day he dies. And it's not even like an unhealthy lifestyle will only kill you early, put as noted above, can put you out of commission. Lets just say instead of living until 85 you live until 75. But chances are, your not going to die from the chronic illness at 75. Chances are it will hit you early, possibly from 65-70. Now you have 10 years of your life to live with this illness which WILL stop you from doing things you love doing. I would rather die at 65.

Are you F@#$ING serious with this BS? Old people have heart attacks because they are old. We have to buy new cars because eventually, they get old and stop working. You're really making yourself look like more of a jackass every post.

You can site all the BS you want. Whatever helps you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The bottom line is, you know nothing. All you do is regurgitate information. My guess is you did well in school because you can memorize and spit out information you've read. We're in the real world here, schoolboy.

The bell just rang. Time for English class.

BFGUITAR
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Saying old people have heart attacks because they are old doesn't answer the question why old people have heart attacks. What is it about getting old that makes them prone to heart attacks? The fact that they are old doesn't answer anything. It is the process of getting old, using the same machinery over and over for decades. What you put in to the machine will dictate it's working time. If you were to treat your car like **** you would need a new car earlier than if you took care of it.

Are you a doctor? If you tell me I know nothing than it must mean you know something. That something I would hope is based on experimental facts not random first hand experience. To figure things out we all needs facts. Facts come from studies, articles, experimentation, statistics... with out it we would be blind. I am rationalizing everything. Your rationalization about why old people have heart attacks is because they are old. Are you actually content with such an answer? Why is rhodes strong? Because hes strong. That doesn't answer why rhodes is strong it just states what he is.

For our entire life our heart is in constant use. Thousands upon thousands of liters of blood is pumped through our blood vessels in our life time. Within our blood there are things that can stick to our blood vessel walls. This is a natural process in any human. We have mechanisms to clean our blood vessels. But every time we clean them, it's never exactly the way it was before, there is always things left behind. Therefore things will buildup until there is too much for our body to function and we die. It's similar to a battery in a sense. Batteries have a lifetime because every time you charge it, it never gets fully back to where it was before. So over time, the battery becomes nonchargeable. This is tied into the laws of thermodynamics. They are laws which we are 99.9999% sure are a fact of nature and will stand up to any opposition for centuries to come (as they already have been even with the introduction of quantum mechanics. It is one of the few things that classical physics has to offer to things like atoms and even smaller).

So as we age, our body tries to clean up any mess we make as a result of simply living. Such things include free radicals, arterial plaque buildup... These will occur in any living human despite their diet, its just a consequence of life. This is like a car... you will get build up of certain chemicals in the engine, pieces lose strength and break, it becomes less efficient and eventually is too messed up to fix perfectly. According to thermodynamics, it's IMPOSSIBLE to return to the first perfectly healthy state we were in. Therefore our life can be viewed as a battery... constantly being used and recharged. Over time we won't be able to charge anymore and we die.

Just like that, with my schooling and some intuition I have projected a simple model of life and why people die. I have rationalized with the information given. Does that seem like a better answer than "they die because they are old"? Science is not about reading and memorizing. Do you think what I rationalized can simply be found in a book? It may be implied but teachers expect their students to be able to think critically.

RhodeHouse
09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Listen and learn. This is weightliftiung and life. Two very simple things that don't need to be comnplicated. You guys seem to like to over-complicate the most basic things in life. Do you read and over-analyze how to masterbate? Again, a very simple thing in life. All this reading, all this "knowledge" leads to some level of stress. Why in the world would I worry about something that is going to happen, no matter what I do? The big guy upstairs has a plan. When it's my time, I'll go visit him. Until then, I plan on living my life, not worrying about trans fats and useless studies that mean absolutely nothing.

You're right. I am a smart giy. I'm, a f@#$ing genius, because I figured out long ago, not to worry about things that will stress me out. I'm going to have the Big Mac. I'm gonna eat ice cream and fried foods because I enjoy them. I'm gonna tear my body apart lifting weights because I love it. I live my life and do things that I like doing. There is no need to freak out and save those years at the end of my life where I'll be in adult diapers, drooling on myself because I lived a full life doing whatever it is that I chose to do. You can have those years, boy. "Look at me, I lived to 100." Awesome. All your friends and family are dead, or, you're so old, they don't wanna see you because you creep them out. Take those years. Give up Big Mac's and trans fat and whatever else you think is "bad" for you, so you can be creepy grandpa that pees himself when he sees the grand kids.

Just like that, with my schooling, I made more sense than any one of BF's rants. I'm not a Dr, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so that's just as good.

I know that you two have your own views. And, in my opinion, you're wrong. When you get older and realize all the time you've wasted, you can call me and tell me that I was right. I love hearing that from people. It happens a lot.

BFGUITAR
09-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Do you really think I am stressing out? This is me, this is how I function. I like to think, it relaxes me. Understanding things put me at rest. If I don't understand a fact it bothers me and stresses me out. A form of relaxation for me is inquiry. Everything I am saying isn't even stressing me, it is practically second nature to think and rationalize. From what I can tell this may not be the same for yourself. Something like this may stress you out. Don't take that as an insult, we are just different thinkers.

Your going to die like you have mentioned. But would you risk having to live the last 5-10 years of your life not being able to do what you love? It's not about living longer it's about being able to do what you love longer and this has been my point all a long. Anyone can be a smart ass and say they would rather live a shorter life and do what they want than be anal and live longer. But ask them if they would rather live shorter and do what they want but sacrifice the last 10 years of their life where they wont be able to do that thing they love or live longer and be able to do what they love until the day they die and the answer becomes clear.

The reality is that you won't die a pain free clean death. Most people don't. Most of us are going to get a heart attack or stroke, have to take medication, completely alter our lifestyle, have to deal with huge changes in your life, have death at your door step waiting... I would rather not have to deal with that.

I don't give a **** if I live a shorter life. I do give a **** if I have to live for 10 years without doing what I like before I die. I can't imagine not playing guitar for a week let alone a month or 10 years. I am sure you are the same with lifting. What would you do with yourself if suddenly you lost your legs in a car accident? You would be shocked. Now imagine yourself down the road (if you lived a non-health promoting lifestyle) and you get a stroke. Lifting becomes out of the question at that point. You would have to sit back and watch everyone else lifts weights, watch them celebrate when they hit new PRs... Not a good feeling.

Never once have I told you how to lift weights. I have sent you pms in the past because I know you know more than me when it comes to weightlifting. My argument has purely been around lifestyle specifically diet.

You seem to be satisfied with a simple answer, I am not. It may stress you out to delve deeper into the little things but for me I get immense joy from doing so. Nothing better than to be able to predict and explain the world.

Travis Bell
09-17-2008, 08:28 PM
How did we get from some of the most wonderful burgers on the planet to accusing McDonalds of taking 10 years off someone's life?

BFGUITAR
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
How did we get from some of the most wonderful burgers on the planet to accusing McDonalds of taking 10 years off someone's life?

I have never accused McDonalds of anything. Read my posts and you will see I never criticized big macs for creating an unhealthy lifestyle. Can McDonalds be part of a healthy lifestyle? Hell yes. Can McDonalds BE a healthy lifestyle? Hard to say, but why put yourself in that position? This is the point I am making.

Travis Bell
09-17-2008, 09:00 PM
but why put yourself in that position? This is the point I am making.

You're right, I guess you didn't accuse McD's of anything

You've gotta admit though, should a person eat nothing but McD's and have great bp, heart rate, non smoker etc, they would be healthy. Thats the point of all that stuff.

Heart attacks can occur for a massive list of reasons and yes diet being one of them. But when diet is one of them, typically one of the above listed tests will indicate this. LDL or HDL, bp etc will show that this is comming

I don't think its real valid to just say that a person shouldn't eat tons of fast food (keep in mind, I'm not condoning this lifestyle) simply because something could happen. Thats alot like saying I shouldn't cross the street because I might get hit by a car, even when I can't see any cars for miles.

BFGUITAR
09-17-2008, 09:53 PM
A blood test will tell you things, but there are so many things that a normal blood test doesn't/can't cover. At this point I agree it's just speculation. But the fact is that we can see what horrible dieting and no exercise can do to ones self. Fat inactive people in the US are living proof (probably short lived) of that.

The definition of health was defined by the World Health Orginization in 1948. The definition is "Health is a complete state of physical, mental, and social well being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity". If a person eats foods in plentiful amounts that are known to be a part of causing disease than he/she is not healthy despite what their blood shows. People a lot smarter than us defined what health really is. This also means a person is not healthy if they are depressed. Their blood work may come back fine but if they feel ****ty (psychologically) they are unhealthy as the definition of health includes more than just the physical.

Mental and social well being are very important and can be tied into our lifestyle and diet.

To really address your last point, it's a matter of benefit vs cost. There is enough proof to make a very strong assumption that certain foods are harmful to the body. Scientists look at the pathways involved with certain chemicals and substances in our body. Things like trans fat raises a flag. In my opinion, if I know something may cause problems because people a lot smarter than me have proof than I am going to make a change despite what my blood work shows. In the case of trans fat, the road is filled with cars.

Travis Bell
09-17-2008, 10:05 PM
At this point I agree it's just speculation.

Now thats what I was looking for.

Believe it or not, I actually have 2 years of a nutrition degree before I switched and finished my bachelors in psychology. I switched because I realized there is alot of cow pucky speculation in the nutrition world that is made out to be fact. Its nothing personal against you, I just don't agree with you.

To each their own though. Now where did my bowl of mozarella sticks go....

BFGUITAR
09-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Of course there is "cow pucky" as you mentioned. But that's because its a new science. But the information that we know in the world of nutrition is better than you or I making a guess.

Reko
09-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Does anyone have ketchup for the cow pucky?

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Do you really think I am stressing out? This is me, this is how I function. I like to think, it relaxes me. Understanding things put me at rest. If I don't understand a fact it bothers me and stresses me out. A form of relaxation for me is inquiry. Everything I am saying isn't even stressing me, it is practically second nature to think and rationalize. From what I can tell this may not be the same for yourself. Something like this may stress you out. Don't take that as an insult, we are just different thinkers.

Your going to die like you have mentioned. But would you risk having to live the last 5-10 years of your life not being able to do what you love? It's not about living longer it's about being able to do what you love longer and this has been my point all a long. Anyone can be a smart ass and say they would rather live a shorter life and do what they want than be anal and live longer. But ask them if they would rather live shorter and do what they want but sacrifice the last 10 years of their life where they wont be able to do that thing they love or live longer and be able to do what they love until the day they die and the answer becomes clear.

The reality is that you won't die a pain free clean death. Most people don't. Most of us are going to get a heart attack or stroke, have to take medication, completely alter our lifestyle, have to deal with huge changes in your life, have death at your door step waiting... I would rather not have to deal with that.

I don't give a **** if I live a shorter life. I do give a **** if I have to live for 10 years without doing what I like before I die. I can't imagine not playing guitar for a week let alone a month or 10 years. I am sure you are the same with lifting. What would you do with yourself if suddenly you lost your legs in a car accident? You would be shocked. Now imagine yourself down the road (if you lived a non-health promoting lifestyle) and you get a stroke. Lifting becomes out of the question at that point. You would have to sit back and watch everyone else lifts weights, watch them celebrate when they hit new PRs... Not a good feeling.

Never once have I told you how to lift weights. I have sent you pms in the past because I know you know more than me when it comes to weightlifting. My argument has purely been around lifestyle specifically diet.

You seem to be satisfied with a simple answer, I am not. It may stress you out to delve deeper into the little things but for me I get immense joy from doing so. Nothing better than to be able to predict and explain the world.

Whatever, dude. You back pedal and side step all this stuff. Do whatever it is that helps you sleep at night.

Part of what I do and enjoy is eating the foods I choose to eat. SO, yes, I would "risk" the last 10 years of my life to beat the $hit out of myself, now. It's a moot point. I operate much differently than you do. My weightlifting is not to promote health. It's to be cock strong. No matter what study you quote or BS you try to throw at me, at the end of the day, my health is NOT a concern for me. My strength is. Period.

Now, that may or may not change if and when I get married, or God forbid, have kids (Shudder). I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

Have your joy obsessing over the minute details that don't really matter. Hell, write a book about it. I prefer to lift weights, not books. Makes me stronger and healthier. At the end of the day, your studies and my experience mean nothing. People are going to do whatever they want. So, I'm gonna go get a Big Mac or 3.

beaverfootball
09-18-2008, 08:15 AM
have you guys ever seen the things they serve here in omaha at the CWS? I think it's krispy kreme that does it and its a fried donut, with a sausage patty, cheese, and bacon on it.

all this talk about food that I would love to take a bite out of i just thought i would throw that it.

BFGUITAR
09-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Im sure if you were in a position where you had to live 10 years of your life not doing what you love, getting strong, you would perhaps think twice. Have you ever gone a month without touching a barbell?

If health is not your concern, don't start preaching what health is.

T FLEX
09-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Dang, this thread is exhausting and I think I just lost 5 pounds reading it. Better go eat a Big Mac with extra special sauce. :D

I can see both sides. I don't think eating those kinds of foods all the time is a great idea and I won't do it myself. However, food is what keeps us alive and although it may not all be the healthiest for us we have the option to partake or not. I would rather eat something once in a while that is classified as "unhealthy" than to never eat it and be denied that joy. I have gone the health nut route before and it sucks. Constantly reading nutrition labels to make sure I'm not eating certain things that in the long run may or may not kill me, no thanks. I do care about my health and that is why for the most part I stay away from the constant intake of certain foods but the fact is I LOVE ME SOME BIG MAC'S!

Wow I just lost another 5 pounds typing this, better go get another one of those delicious mouth watering... :drooling:

WillNoble
09-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Anyone remember the magical summer of '99 when Big Macs were 99cents all summer.

almost brings a tear to my eye

5 big macs after football practice, damn near every day...

Travis Bell
09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Of course there is "cow pucky" as you mentioned. But that's because its a new science. But the information that we know in the world of nutrition is better than you or I making a guess.

But you are making a guess! You are guessing that if I eat a certain way that I'll gain "a few years" or whatever on my life, when there is nothing to support that

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Im sure if you were in a position where you had to live 10 years of your life not doing what you love, getting strong, you would perhaps think twice. Have you ever gone a month without touching a barbell?

If health is not your concern, don't start preaching what health is.

Now you're really being a douche because I don't believe what you believe. I had to give up football, my first love (more than weights) because of a career ending neck injury. So, yes, I know what it's like to not be able to do something I love, ever again. Perhaps, I would not think twice. I'd play football all over again, knowing the consequences, because it was worth every single second. I can't expect you to understand this. Some people get it, and know exectly what I'm talking about. Some don't. It's that simple. And, there's no study to look up to figure out the answer.

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Dang, this thread is exhausting and I think I just lost 5 pounds reading it. Better go eat a Big Mac with extra special sauce. :D

I can see both sides. I don't think eating those kinds of foods all the time is a great idea and I won't do it myself. However, food is what keeps us alive and although it may not all be the healthiest for us we have the option to partake or not. I would rather eat something once in a while that is classified as "unhealthy" than to never eat it and be denied that joy. I have gone the health nut route before and it sucks. Constantly reading nutrition labels to make sure I'm not eating certain things that in the long run may or may not kill me, no thanks. I do care about my health and that is why for the most part I stay away from the constant intake of certain foods but the fact is I LOVE ME SOME BIG MAC'S!

Wow I just lost another 5 pounds typing this, better go get another one of those delicious mouth watering... :drooling:

Brilliant! Basically, my same approach, although some will tell me I don't do it. Brilliant!

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
But you are making a guess! You are guessing that if I eat a certain way that I'll gain "a few years" or whatever on my life, when there is nothing to support that

You know it's ALL a guess. Alwyn Cosgrove told Vincent and I that the difference between eating white bread and wheat bread, is about 2 weeks on your life. Is he right? Who knows. But, I love white bread.

As a side note, if you like anglo bread as much as this unhealthy, fat kid, try Arnold's Select, Country White. It's great for sandwiches and equally good toasted.

drew
09-18-2008, 10:32 AM
http://www.corrupt.org/articles/big_mac/bigmac.jpg < http://haky.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/trip.jpg

That is all.

Holto
09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't know. I don't count calories. I don't need to.

It's all about the training. If I'm extra tired, then I know I either am not eating enough, sleeping enough, or both.

I eat when I'm hungry, and I eat a lot.

I'm in damn good shape too.

Ok, Gotcha, so your original post should read like this:

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

I stopped eating A DAILY CALORIC INTAKE that wasn't enough for significant gains.

Now that I'm CONSUMING THE RIGHT DAILY CALORIC INTAKE:

I'm stronger.

When I WAS NOT EATING ENOUGH:

I was weaker.

Yes, it's hard to gain weight when you don't know what you're eating and don't know how much you need to eat to gain. When you know how much you need to gain, it's dead easy.

Tennessee Mike
09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Arnold country white rules!Good call Rhodes.

T FLEX
09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Ok so I went to McDonald's for lunch and ordered the Double Quarter Pound meal. So I'm sitting at home on the couch and there is a knock at the door. Who could it be? I go to the door and it's Big Mac. :omg: Boy was it mad.

"What's this, I thought we had something special sauce you scrawny b@$^@rd!"

After a few minutes Big Mac calmed down and let me explain. The reason I cheated was because Double QP had what I needed, 200 more calories. See I had been working hard in the yard mixing and pouring concrete by hand and worked up quite the appetite. Realizing I was behind on my calorie intake for the day I made a snap decision. I got busted but in the end it was worth it. Big Mac and me may be taking a break for a while.

BFGUITAR
09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Now you're really being a douche because I don't believe what you believe. I had to give up football, my first love (more than weights) because of a career ending neck injury. So, yes, I know what it's like to not be able to do something I love, ever again. Perhaps, I would not think twice. I'd play football all over again, knowing the consequences, because it was worth every single second. I can't expect you to understand this. Some people get it, and know exectly what I'm talking about. Some don't. It's that simple. And, there's no study to look up to figure out the answer.

The difference between your example and mine is that you were unable to play football because of football. If it was some external thing that prevented you from playing football would you prevent that external thing from affecting you?

If I knew that when I am 60 I would get severe arthritis in my hands from playing guitar do you think I would stop playing guitar? **** no. But if I would get severe arthritis from say cracking my knuckles which in turn would prevent my from playing guitar, than I would stop it.

brihead301
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Ok, Gotcha, so your original post should read like this:

Yes, it's hard to gain weight when you don't know what you're eating and don't know how much you need to eat to gain. When you know how much you need to gain, it's dead easy.

Hmm...Good revision. I feel ya.

KarstenDD
09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Anyone remember the magical summer of '99 when Big Macs were 99cents all summer.

almost brings a tear to my eye

5 big macs after football practice, damn near every day...

My god I envy your memories of 1999.

Auburn
09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but the guy in the article was actually interviewed in Supersize Me. For the curious ones, he basically ate nothing except a Mountain Dew at lunch and the Big Macs after work, if I remember correctly.

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
The difference between your example and mine is that you were unable to play football because of football. If it was some external thing that prevented you from playing football would you prevent that external thing from affecting you?

If I knew that when I am 60 I would get severe arthritis in my hands from playing guitar do you think I would stop playing guitar? **** no. But if I would get severe arthritis from say cracking my knuckles which in turn would prevent my from playing guitar, than I would stop it.

Whatever dude. You are a master of splitting hairs, just to continue your argument.

If I knew that cutting my toenails with a nail clipper COULD, but MAY NOT, POSSIBLY cause my toenails to become ingrown, then I would DEFINATELY stop doing that, even if I had no evidence that it COULD or MAY happen.

Come on. Your answers bore me, now. You have nothing to say. I made a very good point with my football analogy and now you're grasping for anything you have to hang on to. I'm eagerly awaiting your ridiculous response. I'm curious to see what you grab onto for dear life, next. :hello:

BFGUITAR
09-18-2008, 11:07 PM
All am I doing is telling you that your example doesn't say anything. Anyone who enjoys doing something would give the same answer as you. Don't think your special or that other people don't understand. Everyone understands. Your football analogy is worthless. All it tells us is that you had a great time playing football and despite your injury you would do it again. The external factor, something else that would have prevented you to play football would create a different response.

Here is a good example. I was an avid snowboarder years ago. I broke my left wrist three times and sprained my wrists numerous other times. When I became more into guitar I decided to stop snowboarding (as often as I did) as it can possibly put me out of commission for a month or more, something I can't handle.

This example illustrates a completely different point than what you were trying to make.

cphafner
09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
This thread has run it's course.