PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting Bands

Lunar Effect
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I have hit a plateau recently with my bench, I was thinking about using bands and chains to increase my burst at the bottom of the lift. I was looking at the bands here:

www.prowriststraps.com/bands_powerlifting_weight_lifting_band

Where would you guys recommend that I start? I've never used bands before so I'm not really sure where to begin. They give a few pointers, but it is pretty vague. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Detard
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I would suggest getting lights, monster mini's, and mini's for now, from EFS. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=138

I choke them under a heavy DB or a plate with a handle, then loop it over the bar. If your looking to do them with speed, make sure there is tension all the way through. You want to be able to move the bar FAST. Some people try for 3 reps in 3 seconds, some just look to explode it off the chest. Some of the big dawgs will probably chime in with some more advice.

Detard
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Also, when ordering from Elite, make sure you get TWO of each. I almost made that mistake. Each band is sold individually.

sayagain
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I just bought my first bands about a month ago. I got a pair of mini's and use them for speed work. Like the above poster said, I try for 3 reps in 3 seconds. You'll have to double them up to make sure that you have tension at the bottom of the lift. I feel like they help a lot with my explosion off the bottom as the accomodating resistance makes it feel light at the bottom, but it gets heavier at the top where you are stronger. I got a lot of good feedback on this forum from some of the big guys, so you are asking in the right place.

Also, I'm not sure how much you bench, but I think most people are fine with the mini's for speed work and I also think they would be useful for some ME exercises as well. So I would recommend starting with the mini's and you can always order stronger bands down the line if you like them and want to mix it up.

Hazerboy
09-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Whats your experience? what are you benching currently and whats your routine look like? what else have you tried to get through your plateau?

this stuff is important to know -- IMO, bands wouldn't be the best for someone who can bench, say, 200 lbs and 185 bodyweight. At the same time, you probably wouldn't want to buy mini's if your already benching 500 lbs or something.

Reko
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
At the same time, you probably wouldn't want to buy mini's if your already benching 500 lbs or something.

You do if you do speed work :)

Lunar Effect
09-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Whats your experience? what are you benching currently and whats your routine look like?. what else have you tried to get through your plateau?
I have been weightlifting off and on since high school (I'm 32 now), but I just got serious about strength training within the last few years. For example, I never squatted or deadlifted until about 3 years ago. I had always done the sissy exercises like the leg press or machine rows (embarrassed to amit that in this forum).

My current bench is 275 lbs, and I may be able to squeeze out 300 for a 1RM. I don't have a training partner so I haven't had the balls to try it just yet.

I have been doing the Bill Starr 5x5 for the past year or so, although over the last month I have switched the rep scheme to 1x8, 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2. That is my quick answer as to how I tried to get through my plateau.

BigTallOx
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
At the same time, you probably wouldn't want to buy mini's if your already benching 500 lbs or something.

On the westside bench DVD, Louie Simmons specifically says that everybody uses the mini's for DE bench workouts no matter what your max bench is.

Lunar Effect
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
So what is the difference between using a band with more tension and less weight versus a band of less tension and more weight? Also, I ordered some 15lb chains as well (2 pair - 4 total). Which one would you guys recommend starting with? I have read somewhere that its good to use both off and on for 3 weeks at a time, but I'm definitely up for hearing about any of your experiences...

BigTallOx
09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
So what is the difference between using a band with more tension and less weight versus a band of less tension and more weight?

From my experience, high band tension with light weight works stablizers more since the bar can be hard to control at first. More weight on the bar actually makes it more stable, at least it does for me. Be careful the first time you use bands, it's a completely different feel from just straight weight. DOMS can be really bad with bands.

I'd like to try some chains but I haven't gotten any yet. Bands are easy to transport and they're pretty cheap.

sayagain
09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I would also like to try chains, but there is no way that I am lugging those things back and forth from the gym.

Hazerboy
09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh come on guys, you new what I meant. :-p I didn't just want to go out there and *assume* this guy was weak and say "DONT BUY BANDS! YOU'RE TOO WEAK" Of course I have to throw in a caveat like "erhm, and if you're really strong we need to know that too so we can suggest what kind of bands to buy..."

Anyways, I think a lot of people vary their band tension and weight. Someone more experienced like travis will probably know more about this than me.