PDA

View Full Version : Simple Oly Lifts with No Coach?

AJ_H
09-11-2008, 01:34 PM
I was thinkin would simplified variations of the oly lifts such as powercleans, powersnatches, kettlebell snatches, hang snatches, OH squat - still be ok to perform without an Oly coach?

Also, how useful would they be to a powerlifter? I wasn't thinking of doing all of them in one workout just one or two of them on say an ME leg day. Possibly DE.

Thanks,

AH

Lones Green
09-11-2008, 01:58 PM
there is still a lot that goes into lifts like powercleans.

sayagain
09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I do a few different variations of cleans on occasion (power, dumbbell, seated, etc) to hit my shoulders and upper back. I probably have poor form as I think I muscle the weight up more than would be ideal if I were to actually compete in the lifts. But I feel like they bring a little variety into training my upper back and shoulders. They are also good exercises for GPP if you use lighter weights and higher reps (8-12 reps) as they really get my heart pumping. If I do that I'll put it in a circuit with some other exercises like walking lunges and ab work.

AJ_H
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM
there is still a lot that goes into lifts like powercleans.

say if a person was to practice really hard at it and get all the correct info on the lift but didnt have any sort of coach do you think they would eventually master the technique to at least an OK standard for what they want to achieve?

AJ_H
09-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I will probably post some videos at some point too so my form can be criticised. For the big 3 as well as sum of the oly variations.

Lones Green
09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I will probably post some videos at some point too so my form can be criticised. For the big 3 as well as sum of the oly variations.

sure, give it a try, why not

i will say there are a lot more powerlifters on this board than Oly lifters

AJ_H
09-11-2008, 03:14 PM
just need to figure out how to work a computer then i'll be good to post vids :P

sayagain
09-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I think you can get the form down well enough to get some benefits from the lifts. Will you ever be competitive in the olympic lifts without a coach? Probably not.

johnst_nhb
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Best book for learning PC is Rippetoe's Starting Strength. I am a no one, but its a great book!

Auburn
09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
You can certainly learn some things well enough to get an athletic carryover, and general strength carries over to the Olympic lifts too (a lot of old lifters just muscled the weight up before newer technique evolved). DB and KB movements are going to be easier to learn than barbell movements.

The overhead squat is easily learned. Like the front squat, if you do it wrong, you're going to lose the weight when it gets heavy. Read Dan John's Get Up newsletter archives, he's got a lot of gems regarding teaching the lifts with little cues to help you nail down technique without thinking too much about it.

Regarding Rippetoe's writings on the power clean, he goes against the way most top coaches teach the lift. Greg Everett has just put out an excellent book on weightlifting, and his DVD is good. Dan John's DVD is good, but he isn't exhaustive on technique. Tommy Kono's book is excellent. Dreschler's book is good, but it's worse than Supertraining to read.

youngguns
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
you can learn them by yourself, maybe not like fuzzy does, but you can learn them none the less. i found snatches easier to learn than the powerclean (which i still have problems with).

JHarris
09-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Its pretty hard to learn any sort of decent technique by yourself. One piece of advice: video tape all your lifts and compare them to o-lifters that compete. Also, if you post them up here, I'd be happy to take a look at them and let you know what errors I'm seeing. That being said, if you can fight a coach near your area, seeing them even once a week or so would do you wonders.

What part of the country are you in?

Knopfy
09-15-2008, 09:52 AM

good idea! we wait

AJ_H
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Its pretty hard to learn any sort of decent technique by yourself. One piece of advice: video tape all your lifts and compare them to o-lifters that compete. Also, if you post them up here, I'd be happy to take a look at them and let you know what errors I'm seeing. That being said, if you can fight a coach near your area, seeing them even once a week or so would do you wonders.

What part of the country are you in?

Well, I doubt that I would be able to find a good coach and I'm not really prioritising the olympic lifting anyway - but I spose it would be helpful if I could fork out a couple of quid to help me master some of the simplified variations.

I live in Birmingham which is in the West Midlands of England of the UK - which is an area you probably aren't very familiar with.

good idea! we wait

Yeah, real funny. I see your banned.

JHarris
09-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, Im not familiar with that area. I know a few london lifters, but that's about it.

Post some videos up and I'll let you know where you are going wrong.