PDA

View Full Version : Will cardio = strength loss?

Lunar Effect
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I posted this in the BB forum by mistake initially...

I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I train for strength, however I also make some serious attempts to keep my weight under control. I currently weigh around 250 lbs and I'd like to drop a good 30-35 lbs. I'm not looking to transform my physique into that of a wannabe bodybuilder or anything like that, but I would like to avoid gaining any more weight.

I was thinking about doing some cardio sessions around 45 minutes each on my non-lifting days (3 days per week). My concern is whether or not this will have an adverse effect on my strength gains. I'm of course hoping that the cardio will burn away the extra fat without adversely effecting my size or strength, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Are there any of you who train more towards the powerlifting side that can help me out here? I already know that bodybuilders are all over the cardio during their cutting phases, which is typically a period when they will lose some muscle and strength. I know that powerlifting and cardio typically don't mix, but if there are any of you who can shed some light I would be very appreciative.

Lones Green
09-12-2008, 11:36 AM
i've seen quite a bit of success with 20 minutes post workout 3 times a week.

Hazerboy
09-12-2008, 11:46 AM
have you thought about HIIT? (high intensity interval training)

You probably won't lose much strength unless you're running marathons or something, but cardio's a pretty inefficient way to lose weight anyways.

Lunar Effect
09-12-2008, 11:58 AM
have you thought about HIIT? (high intensity interval training)

You probably won't lose much strength unless you're running marathons or something, but cardio's a pretty inefficient way to lose weight anyways.

I have done HIIT in the past. I have read a lot of research that says it is more efficient at burning away fat, but I I have always had much better results with 30-45 of steady state cardio at 65-70%.

Why do you say cardio isn't optimal? I know that cutting calories down a bit is a major factor, but it seems if I'm burning away an extra 3000 calories per week then it would certainly help.

Buccos1
09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
I have had great success with interval training. (I do cardio mainly for cardiovascular wellness now, though, have had previous success with dropping weight and keeping my strength up to pre-drop levels.) I currently ride my recumbant bike 2-3 times/week for 15 min. using H/L intervals of 45 sec./90 sec. Previously, I used to do the same (+ the eliptical) 4x/week for 20 - 30 min with longer high intensity intervals. Throughout that time (with a bw drop of 15 pounds), my squat and bench remained the same.

Mosnar
09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
unless its a ridiculous amount like 20 hours a week (aka rowing or swim team), I wouldn't worry.

Depending on the type of cardio it may actually help. Sled dragging and prowler pushing are supposed to be very strength-friendly forms of cardio.