PDA

View Full Version : What matters more, training or nutrition?

scrawnybastard
09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Stupid question, but if you lift and don't eat enough, would you still get stronger?

Doobs
09-12-2008, 11:33 PM
maybe, who cares? don't even bother if you're not going to eat enough.

scrawnybastard
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
maybe, who cares? don't even bother if you're not going to eat enough.

I'm wondering because some people seem to get stronger without getting much bigger, and also because I had previously lifted with NO success because I didn't eat. This is hypothetical. I plan on talking my bulk seriously.

NewGuy2008
09-12-2008, 11:43 PM
u will get toned and more defined but u prolly wont get much bigger.

Torrok
09-13-2008, 07:57 AM
u will get toned and more defined but u prolly wont get much bigger.

to reword that
not eating enough then becomes like a cut
you take in less than mantenence calories and you lift, so you start to lose weight. lifting will help you maintain the muslce mass you have.

SW
09-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm wondering because some people seem to get stronger without getting much bigger, and also because I had previously lifted with NO success because I didn't eat. This is hypothetical. I plan on talking my bulk seriously.

The reason they're getting stronger without much of an increase in size is b/c the strength is primarily coming from their CNS getting much more efficient at lifting weight, so they don't have to get bigger muslce/wise to get stronger. This happens in a more pronounced and noticeable fashion in the first few months of training, or when someone begins to lift like a powerlifter, i.e. lifting high % of 1rm for 1-4 reps per set, like low volume/high weight.
Keep in mind there are the 3 main components to getting to your goals and staying healthy and happy. Sleep, Training and Diet. Without one of these, your results will be limited.