PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat measuring machine...

Eric Cartman
09-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Whats a good electronic device for measuring bodyfat percentage? I bought a scale that does it, but it seems very inaccurate, clocking me in at 21% for months, even when I've lost 10 lbs and lots of fat in that time and waist has reduced...

Does anyone recommend the kind of Bodyfat measurer that you can hold in your hands and it gives you a reading? Are those accurate?

Thanks

EC

Eric Cartman
09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Considering buying this, any opinions?

http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Omron_Omron_HBF_306_Body_Logic_Handheld_Body_Fat_Analyzer

KingWilder
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
we use that at our gym to assess people...those types of things are good for tracking how much you lose or gain...as far as actual accuracy, it seems to be off by 3-5% in most cases.

Personally, I just use digital calipers (Fat Track II)....they came with a measuring tape and as far as I recall were relatively inexpensive.

Eric Cartman
09-16-2008, 08:48 PM
we use that at our gym to assess people...those types of things are good for tracking how much you lose or gain...as far as actual accuracy, it seems to be off by 3-5% in most cases.

Personally, I just use digital calipers (Fat Track II)....they came with a measuring tape and as far as I recall were relatively inexpensive.

If they are up to 5% off, how could the company stay in business??? :)

Willie
09-16-2008, 09:09 PM
If they are up to 5% off, how could the company stay in business??? :)

Because 5% one way or the other is close enough for government work.

I have a Tanita scale that measures bodyfat through Bio-electrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) and it's probably 3-5% off on a given measurement.

It varies according to a whole host of factors including hydration level, food consumption, etc.

If you're concerned about bodyfat percentage, the best tools in your belt are a mirror and, well, your belt. Seriously, how loose your pants fit is a much more reliable indicator of fat loss (or gain) than a fluctuating number on a scale.

Now, if you're striving for low single digit bodyfat, you're going to need a clinic to do the measuring if it's that important to you to know precisely what your % is.

Durendal
09-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Personally I wouldn't trust hand held sensor type devices to give you an accurate BF%. Have only used them once when a friend of mine was working as a trainer and we just used it for the hell of it to see what the sensor said. He was in much better shape than me, and much more cut, I barely had two abs visible. Anyway the sensor showed him at 12% BF and me at 4.5%, now I know for certain that the 4.5% couldn't of been anywhere near accurate. Only thing I can think of to account for that difference is his fingers are shorter and thick while mine are longer and thin. Point is they're not accurate, calipers are much better, and water is even better than calipers. But really unless you want to be scientific about it and track specific numbers mirror and belt is the best judge as has been previously mentioned.

ryuage
09-18-2008, 12:15 AM
get some calipers or look in the mirror

Curtis24
09-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I have one. It seems to be pretty consistent. A lot varies depending on time of day, how much you've eaten, and how much you've drank.

For best consistency, measure yourself in the morning right after you get up, before you've eaten anything, but *after* you've drank a glass of water. If you're dehydrated, it'll show your body fat as being higher than it is.

Also, it won't be accurate if you use it on a carpet or other soft surface. Use it on a hard floor.

KingWilder
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Remember too, any sort of bioelectrical impedance device will vary based on how hydrated you are...either way I'd use them mainly to track loss or gain of body fat % and take the accuracy for what it's worth ("sort of accurate")