PDA

View Full Version : So I hurt my ankle

Szust
09-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I fell about 7 feet while rock climbing today. I missed the crash pad and landed on an incline. It wasn't too bad at the moment so I kept climbing for about another hour. When I got home I went to sleep, and when I woke up I couldn't walk on it. I went to the doctor and he said that since I can bear weight on it, and it doesn't hurt when resting, it's probably not broken, but I'm taking an Xray tomorrow anyway.

So, my question is, what kind of leg workouts can I do in order to minimize strength loss? I know there are things like seated GM's that don't require any weight loading on the feet.

Rusty
09-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Just let it rest.

Ben Moore
09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Figure out what's up first. Could be tendon or ligament damage.

huskybear
09-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Maybe these will give you some ideas, not so much strengthening, but maintain some flexibility and rehabbing the ankle so you can jump back into the heavy training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKMy8hiuGnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tncvH84G9RA

Some good stuff on the play-list for the jump stretch series.

Good luck and quick recovery!

Szust
09-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get through this quickly.

bigbadwolfe
09-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Bad ankles suck bad!!!

Make sure you get it taken care of. I have broken my ankles numerous times. In 2000 I had my right ankle rebuilt got some real nice scars from it :)

But I have found now that with loosing weight my right one feels great but my left one is killing me. Dont know if it is cause I'm not carrying alot of water or what but my God the Arthritis in there is killing me some days.

Good luck with it!!!!

Knopfy
09-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I fell about 7 feet while rock climbing today. I missed the crash pad and landed on an incline. It wasn't too bad at the moment so I kept climbing for about another hour. When I got home I went to sleep, and when I woke up I couldn't walk on it. I went to the doctor and he said that since I can bear weight on it, and it doesn't hurt when resting, it's probably not broken, but I'm taking an Xray tomorrow anyway.

So, my question is, what kind of leg workouts can I do in order to minimize strength loss? I know there are things like seated GM's that don't require any weight loading on the feet.

cant tell you an answer, but i hope you are feeling better by now

Detard
09-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I sprained my ankle at practice last monday. I thought it would be fine for tuesday so I toughed it out and ran hard. Wednesday I could hardly walk on it so I just did some long snapping and linemen drills. thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday I just took it easy and did very little running, and today (monday) it feels fine. Rest is the best choice when it comes to injuries.

Szust
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Took the x-ray today. I managed to only slightly chip the ankle, so the doc said it was fine to walk on it if I could tolerate it, that I should stretch, and take it easy. That's what I'm going to do, and stretch it out to rehab it.

Thanks guys. I'll be back in this quick.

Detard
09-15-2008, 10:28 PM
LOL so I went down again today on my other ankle. I had a 270lb lineman trip and fall directly onto my leg, rolling my ankle under me. I felt it pop when it happened and thought I tore something for sure or broke it. Turns out its just a tear in the anterior talofibular ligament. From now on i'm taping my ankles EVERY time I step on the field. 5 day DL here I come:cry:

Szust
09-15-2008, 11:28 PM
LOL so I went down again today on my other ankle. I had a 270lb lineman trip and fall directly onto my leg, rolling my ankle under me. I felt it pop when it happened and thought I tore something for sure or broke it. Turns out its just a tear in the anterior talofibular ligament. From now on i'm taping my ankles EVERY time I step on the field. 5 day DL here I come:cry:

That sucks Detard. How long until you're able to run/lift? I'm hoping to be able to lift again comfortably next week, and I just chipped a bone, but a ligament tear? How do you rehab that? I hope you recover quickly man. The thought of being off of weights for any amount of time just makes me sad.

SoreFoot8343
09-16-2008, 05:44 PM
hey did you ankle end up looking like mine when I had one? (ps: thus the name SoreFoot)

Detard
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
You should put a warning on that picture dude. It's pretty graphic.

That looks pretty nasty. How'd you do that? and what was wrong?

SoreFoot8343
09-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah I had taken the whole thing off 2.5 yrs ago. I was playing a game of catch with a football &friends. I was running backwards and jumped up and fell in a pot hole.. my ankle made a stage RIGHT and the rest of me came straight down. Pretty neat having your leg on a pillow and your foot in your freinds hand till EMS came. The part that aggravated me the most was I was 2 months out from a PL meet and I was pretty jacked at 220!
The "wonderfull" docs of NJ wanted to play god and re-attach it so this was the end picture of putting me back together. but they never realized that since the bones and ligs, tendons and muscles were all wripped apart it would never heal right since air got to it.. THus I'm an amputee now..
Heres a "G" rated pic of what I looked like 2 months out.
(while I was in the hosp I shaved my head and donated my hair to Locks Of Love for kids w/ cancer to make wigs for them)