PDA

View Full Version : Westside Beginner

Lunar Effect
09-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Today will be my first day on doing Westside, so I wanted to run my routine by you guys to see if you spot any obvious flaws. I will be doing the "Beginner's Westside" where I lift on a M-W-F schedule and float the 4th session to the following Monday. This means that I hit everything twice at least every 9 days.

I appreciate all feedback...

DAY 1 (ME Squat/Deadlift)
Front Squats - 3 heavy sets x 1-3 reps
Rack Pulls - 3 sets x 3-5 reps
Romanian Deadlifts - 3 sets x 8 reps
Weighted Crunches - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

DAY 2 (DE Bench Press)
Bench Press - 10x2 @ 50-60% 1RM
Overhead Press - 3 sets x 3-5 reps
Lat Pulldowns - 4 sets x 8 reps
Tricep Pushdowns - 3 sets x 12 reps

DAY 3 (DE Squat)
Box Squats - 8x3 @ 50-60% 1RM
Trap Bar Deadlifts - 3 sets x 3-5 reps
Good Mornings - 3 sets x 8 reps
Incline Crunches - 3 sets x 8-12 reps

DAY 4 (ME Bench Press)
Low Incline Bench - 3 heavy sets x 1-3 reps
Close Grip Bench - 3 sets x 3-5 reps
Barbell Rows - 3 sets x 8 reps
Dumbbell Raises - 4 sets x 12 reps

BigTallOx
09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
IMHO, you need to switch up your ME exercises, ie don't always do front squats and low incline bench. I believe I remember Louis Simmons saying on the DVD's it needs to be changed up at least ever few weeks or your max will start to go down. I also believe I remember him saying that you don't need to change the DE exercises, ie they always do box squats. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Lunar Effect
09-15-2008, 01:14 PM
IMHO, you need to switch up your ME exercises, ie don't always do front squats and low incline bench. I believe I remember Louis Simmons saying on the DVD's it needs to be changed up at least ever few weeks or your max will start to go down. I also believe I remember him saying that you don't need to change the DE exercises, ie they always do box squats. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

I definitely plan on rotating my ME exercises. These are just the ones that I'm starting out with. I was just checking to make sure that the routine itself seemed okay. And just something of note, I am a raw lifter which is why I cut back on the tricep exercises and focus more on the pecs and delts. I know that the standard WSB routine is heavily based on triceps...

jbrin0tk
09-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I would try to fit in some type of tricep extension exercise (other than pushdowns) and close grip bench, too.