PDA

View Full Version : hey everybody i have a question.

rctriplefresh5
09-15-2008, 11:03 AM
ok, so im pretty new to the forums, but i have been lifting for almost 4 years. i was wondering what ur guys opinions on half squats and squat lockouts are. i train my squats with oly stance, but once a month ill load up 400 pounds over my max squat and do a lockout hold with it. I also load up around 100 pounds over my squat max and do half squats with this when im done with oly squats(every week) i havent experienced overtraing, and i squat 3x a week anyways, do u think he higher weight reduced rom can benefit my squat?

another question- i am very weak on lockouts in bench. i tried lockouts with my bench max, and could barely get it up one time, so i moved the bar up around a foot over my chest and was able to do 100 pounds over my max and hold that for a few seconds. will this be effective for my lockouts, or muct lockouts be performed from a suitable low ROM. its funny cause im great with squat lockouts, but bench and rack pulls i have trouble doing my max.

im 6'2 180 pounds and 18 years old and my lidts are

b-280 (t and g)
squat 280 parallel( i know its bad =()
dl 415 DO.

Szust
09-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Half squats put a lot of undue force on your knees. Most people have trouble getting the weight out of the hole when squatting, so you should probably work around that. I wouldn't know what to tell you if your weakness was in the half squat position.

Oh, and no, you want to work your bench lockouts about 4" off your chest (a 2 board height). You can't get around your weak spots if you don't train them.

Adam
09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I used to use walkouts occasionally on squats. Mainly before a meet just to gain back my stability walking out near my max weights.

Lones Green
09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
with squat walkouts and half squats, the cons are gonna outweigh the pros, for the most part. i know louie has written an article on this, i will try to find it.

sayagain
09-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree, it seems like too much of a potential for injury when doing walkouts or doing half squats with weights significantly higher than your best full squats.

rctriplefresh5
09-15-2008, 06:53 PM
thats disappointing i enjoy them haha. whats a good way to work on coming out of the hole. ive been doing pause squats really deep (atg). should i just do squats from the hole position? and i got a squat pr today =p not much but improving 225x10.

as for the bench lockouts, since i have trouble with my max benchpress weight for lockouts that low, will lockouts reallybenefit me?

Twirl
09-15-2008, 07:06 PM
box squats, or bands