PDA

View Full Version : Venice Beach Meet results

PriestCometh
09-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I had fun. I opened light at 601(easy), went to 633(easy lift. the video is on my website. I was trying to get it posted over here, but I am an idiot when it comes to that stuff.), Then tried 683 and my foot slipped at lockout. I was so pi$$ed. As soon as I get the video thing worked out, I will post that one too. It was strict judging, but consistant(which is awesome).

Karabel was an animal. He squatted 903, Benched 661 and pulled 705 with very strict judging.

Darren and Leo were as cool as the other side of the pillow. My opinion is F the IPF. Lift where you want. It was the IPFs loss and everyone elses gain.

Harris, I love the Kilt.

Vladimir a great young lifter that has trained with Viktur Farushkin. Who I had the pleasure of training with.

Eric Welsh had the uspf deadlift record. I guess he was just too good lookin to get the white lights. This guy pulled 655 and locked out a record at 673(Got reds for having long hair in venice. lol)and he is scheduled to have surgery on his ACL next week!

Joe Wheatley and Denison are class acts that go out of the way to put on a top notch event.

I gotta thank ATLARGENUTRITION big time. If it wasnt for your products, I wouldnt have been able to come back from the injuries I have had this quickly without your support. ETS is my favorite!!!!!!!

I gotta thank:
ATLARGENUTRITION - The gold medal standard in the nutrition field!
TITAN - Ken Anderson is second to none in customer service!
APT WRIST WRAPS - Best wraps on the market.
HOUSE OF PAIN - Do I need to say more?
Athletic Body Care
NEMESIS Powerlifting
MENDYS F.I.T. Gym - Powerlifting, Strongman, Grappling, Boxing, Stickfighting, Thai Boxing, Kickboxing and explosive strength training are held at this gym. What else could you ask for?

Ben Moore
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Very nice job Priest!

frenchkev
09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
very very nice job!!

cunniff1981
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't see why you bag the IPF.
If the judging is stricter then the records actually mean something.
You can't have a close enough is good enough attitude when it comes to records.

Travis Bell
09-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't see why you bag the IPF.
If the judging is stricter then the records actually mean something.
You can't have a close enough is good enough attitude when it comes to records.

LOL you missed the point. Priest was talking about the IPF rule where you get banned or suspended for competing against other lifters who are banned or suspended. You can also get in trouble for competing at another federations national or international event

I'm with Priest, its bullcrap and in the end they are going to end up alienating themselves.

Great job man! Keep the PRs comming!

Jonah
09-15-2008, 05:50 PM
nice job

waynedang
09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Nice lifting Priest!!!

cunniff1981
09-15-2008, 07:02 PM
LOL you missed the point. Priest was talking about the IPF rule where you get banned or suspended for competing against other lifters who are banned or suspended. You can also get in trouble for competing at another federations national or international event

I'm with Priest, its bullcrap and in the end they are going to end up alienating themselves.

Your right I did miss that point.
I have to agree that rule does suck.

chris mason
09-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Great lifting James!!! Thanks for the props!

f-rider
09-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Darren got the short end of the stick twice - first he was suspended on a doping violation for Octopamine, which was in one of the over-the-counter supplements he was taking (it's added to many commercial protein powders etc.), at IPF Worlds. The doping tests weren't the same at Worlds as they were at USAPL nationals or other USAPL meets so this wasn't detected earlier. There is an appeal process before the final decision on the suspension process is reached; I don't know the specifics but apparently the USAPL left him hanging out to dry.

One of the major gripes I have with WADA is the absence of a supplement certification program given some of the ridiculous things on their banned substances list.

The other thing was the extension of Darren's suspension for doing USPF Nationals. If you look at the wording of the clause, you're actually not allowed to participate in any sport competition at any level while you're under suspension - I guess if you play a game of softball or something you can get your suspension extended. You're also not allowed to coach anybody or train with (near?) anyone on the national team (again, the wording is open to interpret this as the national team of any sport - better make sure the guy doing jock curls in the squat rack next to you isn't on the USA ping-pong team!).

A bunch of lifters got burned by this by doing WPC meets while under suspension.

The rule about not competing in other federations is also interesting. It specifies "international" competitions but doesn't define what those are. If you do Uncle Bob's Backyard Bench Extravaganza and Mike from Canada comes by to compete, that's an international competition, right? I guess I should be suspended right now since I still have my Canadian IPF membership and I'm doing USPF meets in the States.

------

Ok, enough about that, here are my meet impressions (I was only there for Saturday):

Steve did an awesome job organizing the meet, as usual. This was the most fun I've had at a meet to date. I really liked how the bench-only flight was put in between the 3-lift squat and bench; everything ran very smooth and quickly.

Priest definitely stole the show during the benching. The 633 was ridiculously fast!

It was nice to see so many strong women competitors compared to other meets I've been at. Janet Loveall squatted 440 pounds. Too bad Leonetta Richardson couldn't get her 303 (at 148!) bench opener, I would have loved to see what she would have done for her second and third attempts.

In the 198s Victor Calia simply dominated the deadlift with a 656 pull; no one else was within even 100lb.

The judging was great. With the press command on the bench, it felt the same as a high-level IPF competition. I don't think anybody got short-changed.

I hit all the goals I set for myself at this meet and went 8 for 9. This was also my friend Alexey's first USPF meet; he also went 8 for 9, set PRs on all three lifts, and is excited about competing in the future! Good times all around! :)

deeder
09-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and did well Vlad!

PriestCometh
09-16-2008, 10:22 AM

That is exactly what I meant.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Great bp Priest!:strong::thumbup:

DrDudley-Robey
09-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!

Ryan Celli
09-18-2008, 06:24 AM
nice work!

Eric Downey
09-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Good job James. And the IPF Blows. Stupid rule any way you look at it.

PriestCometh
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanx Ryan, you are still the f'n man.

I think my major problem with the whole Darren thing is what Vlad said "If you look at the wording of the clause, you're actually not allowed to participate in any sport competition at any level while you're under suspension".

We didnt join this sport to have a fed dictate to us where we should lift or not lift. Did Siders get suspended for lifting in the USPF while suspended?

PriestCometh
09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!

Congrats to you on your Bronze medal at WORLDS.

jackreape
09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Nicework bro...