PDA

View Full Version : Getting back speed after/during a bulk?

scumbag
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Not even sure how to phrase this. Okay I've been on a bulk for a while, and am still in the process of trying to gain weight. Problem is hockey season just started and I (of course) am noticably slower. In fact, I'm one of the fastest on my team but a few guys mentioned I look "sluggish" lol.

Anything I can do to regain or get that speed back in my legs? Or is this a ridiculous question? As of now I'm doing:

day 1
squat
bench
row

day 2
deads
military
pullups/lat pulldowns

day 3
squat
bench
row

with some shrugs and tricep exercises thrown in at the end of the workout.
Any advice from you athletes out there?

Sorry I just found the GPP/sports specific forum for the first time now...

Oh and not just regaining speed but regaining cardio as well, after one shift I felt like I was going to puke my brains out I was breathing so heavily.

Willie
09-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I've said it before, I will say it again:

Running fast improves your ability to run fast.

Likewise, skating fast improves your ability to skate fast.

While weights help improve power, nothing can take the place of sport specific training.

Do intervals.

Oh and not just regaining speed but regaining cardio as well, after one shift I felt like I was going to puke my brains out I was breathing so heavily.

You need more conditioning.

Another guy asked a similar question about basketball.

I wrote:

Think of it this way:
Strength adds power.
Lifting weights builds strength.
Lifting can add mass.

However, the size gained doesn't always result in a positive power-to-weight ratio, as you have seen. It's called relative strength, which for an athlete not involved in strength sports, is the most important kind.

Powerlifters need pure strength, and they generate huge amounts of power.
Very often, they are large guys. Their power-to-weight, however, is lower.
A 200 Lb power lifter that can deadlift 400 lbs has a greater power-to-weight ratio than a 300 lb powerlifter that can deadlift 500 lbs., even though the guy that lifts 500 lbs. has more pure strength.

Stronger is always better (for any sport).

Bigger, on the other hand, is not always better for athletes involved in sports that require locomotion because it's not always relatively stronger.

In order to get bigger and have the strength from that size work for you (as a basketball player), you have to increase your strength enough to compensate for your gain size.

You have to increase your power to weight ratio. There are two ways to do that:
-Increase your strength to make up for your size, or
-Decrease your weight, while maintaining your level of strength.

I struggle with this (as a cyclist). It's pure physics: lower weight requires less strength to move. If I can increase my strength, and not my size, then I've increased my speed. (or in your case, jumping/running ability).

Focus on getting stronger. In our case, that is training that creates a CNS adaptation that helps you recruit more of the muscle fibers than you already have for a particular event (i.e dunking a ball), rather than increasing their size.

See, when you jump for a dunk, for instance, you're muscles recruit only enough fibers to get the job done, however, it recruits them at 100%. If you can adapt your body to recruit a greater percentage of muscle fibers, you can weigh more or jump higher.

For us, it's not as simple as more muscle = more strength, because we're not talking about pure strength, but relative strength.

Once you get maximum strength gains, size will come, but as long as you focus on maintaining strength and speed, you shouldn't see an attendant drop in either, even though you are increasing muscle mass.

Does this makes sense to you?

You must decide what you want, and train for that.

good luck.

Tom Mutaffis
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I would suggest adding in some plyometrics or drills if you are looking to add speed and agility... Shuttle runs, box jumps, etc.

chrisco915
09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
OMG........stop lifting. What are your rep ranges?

Doesn't your team have a off seaon training program?????????????

When we trained with the blackhawks.......there was no heavy weights at all.....nothing under 12 reps and tons of endurance work. parice gained weight like that 3 years ago and he cam out flat. Lost the weight and was back opn the ice flying. If your game is speed........stick to very high reps, interval training and endurance cardio. Better get back ad do some sprints in your off time. Skating can get you back to where you want to be but it is going to take some time.