PDA

View Full Version : WTF?!?

blaindsmith
09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I've been eating over 4,000 cals a day with around 250g of protein and the only place I am seeing results is my ****ing stomach and sides. I feel bloated all the time. I am doing a modified BGB routune 4 days a week and nothing seems to be growing and my strength progress is only slight.

I know I have to eat more to get bigger but I am afraid if I do that I will only get fatter. As far as I am concerned my lifts SUCK for how long I have been training and I feel its my diet.

Lifts:
Bench - 200
Squat - 265
Dead - 385

Diet:
630am - Banana to wake up with on way to work
730am - 3-4 eggs, bacon, coffee, wheat taste, sugar free jelly
930am - protein shake, 30g protein, 300 cals, 45g carbs
1130am - 2 pb&j sandwiches, natty pb, sugar free jelly, sugar free jelly
130pm - protein shake, 30g protein, 300 cals, 45g carbs
330pm - clif bar, 10g protein, 250 cals, 20g carbs
530pm - meal replacement shake, 50g protein, 560 clas, 75g carbs
LIFT
830pm - chicken stir fry with olive oil and salt free peanuts
1030pm - meal replacement shake, 50g protein, 560 clas, 75g carbs
1130pm - bed

Routine:
Deads
Heavy leg curls
Front squats
Calves
Core

Flat Bench
Decline Bench
DB Rows
Upright Rows

Squats
Leg extensions
Leg Press
Calves
Core

Rows
Pullups
Incline Bench
Standing Military

Thoughts? I am not getting the size/strength I am hoping I should from this.

Holto
09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
First thing that pops into my mind is your total volume is too high and impairing your recovery.

How long have you been bulking? How much have you gained?

ray34iyf
09-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Probably eating too much with too much volume in routine. Happened to me when I first started out and all I did was get really fat.

Building muscle takes time. You aren't going to get anywhere by eating 1500 above maintenance except obese.

Tennessee Mike
09-17-2008, 10:45 AM
I've been eating over 4,000 cals a day with around 250g of protein and the only place I am seeing results is my ****ing stomach and sides. I feel bloated all the time. I am doing a modified BGB routune 4 days a week and nothing seems to be growing and my strength progress is only slight.

I know I have to eat more to get bigger but I am afraid if I do that I will only get fatter. As far as I am concerned my lifts SUCK for how long I have been training and I feel its my diet.

Lifts:
Bench - 200
Squat - 265
Dead - 385

Diet:
630am - Banana to wake up with on way to work
730am - 3-4 eggs, bacon, coffee, wheat taste, sugar free jelly
930am - protein shake, 30g protein, 300 cals, 45g carbs
1130am - 2 pb&j sandwiches, natty pb, sugar free jelly, sugar free jelly
130pm - protein shake, 30g protein, 300 cals, 45g carbs
330pm - clif bar, 10g protein, 250 cals, 20g carbs
530pm - meal replacement shake, 50g protein, 560 clas, 75g carbs
LIFT
830pm - chicken stir fry with olive oil and salt free peanuts
1030pm - meal replacement shake, 50g protein, 560 clas, 75g carbs
1130pm - bed

Thoughts? I am not getting the size/strength I am hoping I should from this.

First off,if your not getting stronger than theres something wrong with your training.As far as the Stomach and sides go,thats completely normal.Where do you think the body stores the most fat on men?Your eating more calories than you need to get bigger,right?Well eating alot means your gonna put on fat.But in an ideal situation you would be stronger,therefore putting on more muscle.If you have any delusions of a "clean bulk" or an "all muscle" bulk,get them out of your head right now.Eat alot,train heavy,put on the weight,then strip off fat only when you get to where you want to be.But first thing is to address why your not getting stronger.

Brad08
09-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I've been eating over 4,000 cals a day with around 250g of protein and the only place I am seeing results is my ****ing stomach and sides.

How much weight are you putting on each week?

I feel bloated all the time. I am doing a modified BGB routune 4 days a week and nothing seems to be growing and my strength progress is only slight.

Define "slight." Are you making regular progress in your benchmark lifts, such as bench, dead, and squat?? If so, that's about all you can ask any program to do: get you incrementally stronger over time. If you're not making progress, then you have to look at your overall training regimen, including sleep, recovery, etc.

I know I have to eat more to get bigger but I am afraid if I do that I will only get fatter.

Unfortunately, unless you're gifted with a very efficient muscle-building body, some of the weight you gain will necessarily be fat.

[quot]As far as I am concerned my lifts SUCK for how long I have been training and I feel its my diet.[/quote]

How long have you been training? And what were your lifts when you started? All you can do is compete against yourself: I don't care if Travis Bell benches 700, have you gotten stronger on your program??

I feel its my diet

Do you really think that, for example, eating chicken breasts with roasted potatoes in place of "chicken stirfry w/ olive oil" is going to do jack **** for you overall?? Or instead of your current breakfast, switching to bagels and sausage is going to make any real difference? As long asyou've got enough protein and enough calories to support growth, you've got your bases covered. The rest is up to your genetics and your training program.

blaindsmith
09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I have been on this bulk for 2 months and by slight progression I add 2.5-5 lbs every 3 weeks to my bench. I have been training for a little over 5 years and I would say 2 of those years were learning.

How would it be my training or volume if I have been using programs that a lot of other people use and have great success with and everyone recommends them?

I rely on these boards a lot because I am the only one out of my friends that lift at all so what is said here I put into practice.

Tennessee Mike
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I have been on this bulk for 2 months and by slight progression I add 2.5-5 lbs every 3 weeks to my bench. I have been training for a little over 5 years and I would say 2 of those years were learning.

How would it be my training or volume if I have been using programs that a lot of other people use and have great success with and everyone recommends them?

I rely on these boards a lot because I am the only one out of my friends that lift at all so what is said here I put into practice.

Dude,what are you complaining about.If you add 2-5lbs every 3 weeks,your lookin at 60lbs a year on bench.Thats not an easy task if your training natural or without gear.Thats damn good progress.Im happy to get 30lbs a year or less on bench and Ive been training for almost 20 yrs.Youve gotta give yourself at least 6 months to see real progress.2 months is nothing.

blaindsmith
09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I really got used to those beginner gains and nervous about getting fatter.

RhodeHouse
09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I really got used to those beginner gains and nervous about getting fatter.

Stop crying. Keep eating. Get fatter to get more muscular. If you prefer the Abercrombie and Bitch look, cut the fat off after you reach your bodyweight goal. Welcome to the real world of muscle gain. Gotta get fat to get big.

blaindsmith
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Oh I am far from abercrombie just think the carbs make me feel like **** afterwards.

RhodeHouse
09-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Oh I am far from abercrombie just think the carbs make me feel like **** afterwards.

Carbs are the best energy source for our body. Carbs make you feel great, my friend. They are not the enemy.

blaindsmith
09-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Carbs are the best energy source for our body. Carbs make you feel great, my friend. They are not the enemy.

That may be true but they still make me feel bloated and like crap.

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 08:09 AM

That is true. I don't know what to tell you. I've given you the answer. It's up to you whether or not you want to use it. I really don't care what you do. If you feel like crap, go for a walk. Gaining weight and training is not easy. It does not feel good. That's just the way it is. deal with it. Like I said, I've given you the answer. Use it or don't.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
That is true. I don't know what to tell you. I've given you the answer. It's up to you whether or not you want to use it. I really don't care what you do. If you feel like crap, go for a walk. Gaining weight and training is not easy. It does not feel good. That's just the way it is. deal with it. Like I said, I've given you the answer. Use it or don't.

So since I have to keep up this diet, is there any other foods? supplements? techniques people use to alleviate the crappy/bloating feelings other than just "go for a walk"?

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
So since I have to keep up this diet, is there any other foods? supplements? techniques people use to alleviate the crappy/bloating feelings other than just "go for a walk"?

How much do you weigh? I ask, because my guess is, you don't really know what bloated is. When you have trouble wiping your ass, or making a fist, or if your eyes close when you look up, then you know what bloated is. If not, stop crying. Stay hydrated and grow a pair. Life isn't always easy.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM
How much do you weigh? I ask, because my guess is, you don't really know what bloated is. When you have trouble wiping your ass, or making a fist, or if your eyes close when you look up, then you know what bloated is. If not, stop crying. Stay hydrated and grow a pair. Life isn't always easy.

210 and not everyone wants to be a powerlifter of 300+. I should have been more clear to say that.

1. Not crying im asking a question
2. My pair is quite fine
3. Life is never easy

Thanks for the lesson I didn't ask for.

Brad08
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM

If you don't like carbs, throw down a bunch of olive oil instead, or in place of some of the carbs. 110 calories per tablespoon and won't make you feel bloated at all. Also helps with inflammation, IIRC. Three tablespoons gives you 330 easy-to-drink calories. Stir it into your shakes.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 12:57 PM
If you don't like carbs, throw down a bunch of olive oil instead, or in place of some of the carbs. 110 calories per tablespoon and won't make you feel bloated at all. Also helps with inflammation, IIRC. Three tablespoons gives you 330 easy-to-drink calories. Stir it into your shakes.

Thank you for a much more educated response. I will try that.

Dkalban
09-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Thank you for a much more educated response. I will try that.

Dont be rude to people who are actually trying to help you.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Dont be rude to people who are actually trying to help you.

Generally telling me to eat more doesn't help me. Cause I'll give the "no *****" response to that.

=Travis=
09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Generally telling me to eat more doesn't help me. Cause I'll give the "no *****" response to that.

Then why the hell did you post? Excuse me but doesn't your original post say "thoughts?"
Well, people gave their thoughts and all you did was whine about it.

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:10 PM
LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS!!! 5-8 reps with ur failure being between 5-8 reps on each set, that's how u put on mass... and protein protein protein

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Then why the hell did you post? Excuse me but doesn't your original post say "thoughts?"
Well, people gave their thoughts and all you did was whine about it.

Yes you are correct I said "thoughts". It was wrong of me to expect responses other than "stop crying" or "why are you complaining". Sue me for wanting an educated response.

And I post when I don't find an answer, hence why my post count is so low for my join date. I don't go around wasting posts.

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:12 PM
i wasn't trying to be a douche with the all caps lift heavy weights u just can't stress that enough

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:14 PM
LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS!!! 5-8 reps with ur failure being between 5-8 reps on each set, that's how u put on mass... and protein protein protein

My training is dead on with that 5-8 range. Sounds like I am in the same boat your are with needing more food but wanted alternatives to the heavy carbs or ideas to combat that crappy feeling.

If there isn't that's fine. That's all someone had to say.

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:18 PM
up your protein to 300 grams and eat a little bit fewer carbs, eat most of your carbs in the morning and after you workout...drop the meal replacement shake before you workout and try to eat a real meal before you workout

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
also i don't know if you're taking anything, but creatine before and after you workout and amino acids will boost your strength

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
also i don't know if you're taking anything, but creatine before and after you workout and amino acids will boost your strength

I've just stuck with simple protein but willing to try the creatine. I tried it when I first started out and didn't see much from it. Maybe it could be different this time around.

I heard it was good to take it with a juice rather then just water too.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I hate to say this for fear of getting shot down, but you don't have to get fat to get big.

To a point yeah but I still wanna see my dick if I look down. lol

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:28 PM
well i take no explode before i workout and torrent by universal nutrition after i workout...u can get that stuff pretty cheap from illpumpyouup.com
i worked out for a month or so and didn't start to see real good gains until i started using these products, no explode gives u a lot of energy in the weight room and u don't get tired as easy and torrent is used PWO and has like 300 cals (20g protein, like 50g carbs) and has a ton of amino acids. when i started taking creatine and aminos my strength exploded

scrawnybastard
09-18-2008, 01:30 PM
To a point yeah but I still wanna see my dick if I look down. lol

Don't we all.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:31 PM
well i take no explode before i workout and torrent by universal nutrition after i workout...u can get that stuff pretty cheap from illpumpyouup.com
i worked out for a month or so and didn't start to see real good gains until i started using these products, no explode gives u a lot of energy in the weight room and u don't get tired as easy and torrent is used PWO and has like 300 cals (20g protein, like 50g carbs) and has a ton of amino acids. when i started taking creatine and aminos my strength exploded

My PWO is 560 cals, 75g carbs, 50g protein, but i will try out the rest. Thanks.

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
the torrent has 5g creatine after u workout, it's more of a drink instead of a shake..u should try that immediately after u workout and then ur PWO about 30min - 1 hour after u take torrent..also, if your PWO shake isn't mostly whey, ur body isn't getting all those 50g protein after you workout..whey is supreme after u workout cuz it goes straight to ur guns haha

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
what MRP are u taking?

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:37 PM
what MRP are u taking?

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=7

I've been taking it like 10 minutes after I get home because I am starving after the gym.

Brad08
09-18-2008, 01:37 PM
I hate to say this for fear of getting shot down, but you don't have to get fat to get big.

Your sig says you weigh 110 pounds.

ONE-HUNDRED AND TEN POUNDS.

You don't "have" to get fat to get big, but if you've got half a brain, you'll accept some fat gain and go for the calories rather than sitting around counting your almonds, praying to gain exactly .125 grams of lean muscle per week while maintaining 10% BF.

If you guys would spend your time from age 18 to age 26 gaining WEIGHT, you could then spend a year dieting and be large and look good for the next 20 years. Those are the golden years for building muscle and you'll piss them away by trying to keep striations in your 135 lb. chest.

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
how often do u train each body part?

scrawnybastard
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Your sig says you weigh 110 pounds.

ONE-HUNDRED AND TEN POUNDS.

You don't "have" to get fat to get big, but if you've got half a brain, you'll accept some fat gain and go for the calories rather than sitting around counting your almonds, praying to gain exactly .125 grams of lean muscle per week while maintaining 10% BF.

If you guys would spend your time from age 18 to age 26 gaining WEIGHT, you could then spend a year dieting and be large and look good for the next 20 years. Those are the golden years for building muscle and you'll piss them away by trying to keep striations in your 135 lb. chest.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I know I'll gain some fat. In fact, I hope to. I just haven't started yet, and I will in a week when I can eat and go to a gym. I see what you're saying. Next time, I won't post. I guess I brought this on myself. How were you when you started? Skinny, fat, average, or some combination in between?
:burger:
I'll eat some of these.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 01:48 PM
how often do u train each body part?

Edited my first post and added routine

ctwice23
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
tell me you don't do that everyday or even every other day

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 02:03 PM
tell me you don't do that everyday or even every other day

LOL. He'll no that's a 4-day split.

2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off

=Travis=
09-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Edited my first post and added routine

Have you had any variety or is it always the same exercises, and for how long? Any variety to rep range? Do you always go for heavy or do you switch up for speed?
There also seems to be alot of overlap there as well.

Holto
09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
210 and not everyone wants to be a powerlifter of 300+. I should have been more clear to say that.

No dude, being 300lbs is they key, if you can't get 800lbs to your chest, you make your belly grow up towards the bar...:)

deeder
09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
No dude, being 300lbs is they key, if you can't get 800lbs to your chest, you make your belly grow up towards the bar...:)

That seems to be the strategy around here sometimes.

essentialherb08
09-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Have you tried separating carbs from fats and proteins at your meals. It may help with that crappy bloated feeling your worryin about. Heres a site that talks about it. http://www.lemmonsoil.com/whey-protein-essential-amino-acids.html

Basically it says if you mix high amounts of carbs with high amounts of fats and proteins that it phuks up your digestion and the carbs ferment in your gut leading to gas and bloating. Not to mention indigestion and malabsorbtion of nutrients.

Its helped me big time.

RedSpikeyThing
09-18-2008, 06:08 PM

I'm eating 4k on off days and not having that problem at all anymore. The trick was more fats, less carbs and more fibrous veggies. I can make a salad with ~800 calories that feels like I've eaten nothing. Add in a couple cups of milk and you're hitting 1k in no time.

Ingredients
Lots of spinach
1-2 hanfuls of baby carrots, sweet pepper, watermelon, etc.
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 lb chicken breast (or chicken leg w/skin for extra cals)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

EDIT: I didn't know this until recently, but apparently lots of fiber + no water = constipation. Stay hydrated!

manowar669
09-18-2008, 06:26 PM

This is actually pretty good advice. Switch carbs for fat if you feel bloated on carbs. It works that way for some people. And, there is no insulin response to fat. Insulin is a storage hormone, and you may store extra fat with excess carbs. You can still bulk with fats.

Maybe try to center your carbs around your workout, and use fat for cals the rest of the day. Fat is also less bulky, so less to eat, or feel bloated about. Don't be afraid of sat fat either, get into butter, coconut oil, and animal fats. You don't have to buy super lean cuts all the time, just don't eat noodles with your fattier meats. (for example, eat a couple of chicken thighs instead of a chicken breast, just skip the bread, noodles, rice, etc.)

Redspikey gives good advice too.

blaindsmith
09-18-2008, 08:04 PM
That's awesome!!! Thanks for the link and the recipe. I tend to carb it up throughout the day since I go for the quick and easy so PB&J sandwiches are a big staple in my diet. That salad idea would be great in place of those during the day and I can shift my carbs to my workout.

I am working on staying hydrated since I definitely have been gassy and a little constipated too.

RhodeHouse
09-18-2008, 10:01 PM

1. Not crying im asking a question
2. My pair is quite fine
3. Life is never easy

Thanks for the lesson I didn't ask for.

As I stated before, you don't know what bloated is, so stop crying, little man. You're welcome for the free lesson. I'm sure you learned nothing.

I'm done with you.

RedSpikeyThing
09-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Th
I am working on staying hydrated since I definitely have been gassy and a little constipated too.

gas would also be a result of lots of carbs and protein powders

shauny2times
09-19-2008, 06:48 AM
maybe your carb sensitive...I am no matter how clean my diet is if theres too many carbs im gaining fat too.... keep the carbs light and cut them at your last two meals and see if u get results... works for me...

blaindsmith
09-19-2008, 07:16 AM
As I stated before, you don't know what bloated is, so stop crying, little man. You're welcome for the free lesson. I'm sure you learned nothing.

I'm done with you.

Screw.

McLaughlin
09-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Maybe try adding some (or a lot) whole milk to your diet.

Also in regards to carbs... not sure what to tell you... maybe eat them in the morning with your banana, so by the time you get to working out you don't feel so bloated... like 1-2 wheat bagels can be awesome in the morning with some PB... 240 cals, 49g carb 9g protein. Add like 1qt whole milk to that and keep the banana in there.

Other than that... sleep more. Even if you fall asleep instantly at 11:30 and sleep straight through to 6:30 that's 7 hours, try pushing for 8+ each night for a week and see how you feel, I think you'd be surprised.

bill
09-20-2008, 06:39 AM
I would say first concentrate on strength for 6 months to a year. IMO getting some solid strength makes a big difference in adding mass. My reasoning is this doing say 225 x 8 reps is more taxing than 135 or 185 x 8, you body need to adapt and build muscle. Plus simple fact most that you don't see many small guys benching 315 for reps or squating 400's. They may not be huge but most have some size.

Second all the shakes are contributing to the bloated feeling. For like the lunch time add some real food, chicken sandich, cheesburger, don't be afraid to gain "some fat" but you need to just make sure your comfortable with the amount. IMO pbj sandwiches are just snacks.
If you don't want to gain fat, then thats fine but it's going be a slower gaining muscle, and you will need to be much more into your diet training. Really finding out what works.
There are no real secrets to adding size, work hard (get stronger), eat enough (whatever that happens to be), rest recover fully, (don't burn unnecessary calories) don't stress about not gaining, weigh yourself once a week at most.

blaindsmith
09-22-2008, 09:15 AM
I have been trying these ideas and it seems that I get that feeling the most after the shakes. I'm gonna work on replacing it with actual food instead.

Holto
09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Is this shake super high in sodium?

Also, how is the squatting and deadlifting progressing?

Travis Bell
09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Thats actually a good question

Check your nutrition facts label. A lot of the supplement companies have adjusted their protein mix to compensate for the large increase in whey prices lately. Alot of them I've noticed added soy protein, but I'm sure that isn't what is causing the bloating

blaindsmith
09-23-2008, 07:51 AM
230mg of sodium per 150g of powder. Is that a high amount for a single shake?

The squats and deads are slowly but surely progressing, im tend to see more strength than size gains really.

I'll keep an eye our for the soy but the sodium makes sense.

Cherrywaves
09-23-2008, 10:22 AM

maybe its because you're eating a crapload of sodium in your diet?