PDA

View Full Version : Blolod Type Stuff

The Tick
03-29-2002, 11:36 AM
Tryska has mentioned the Eat right for Your Type bood.

I have a bud who is a Masters natural BBer (an old guy) who swears by the diet recommendations in the book. Both he and his fiancee had great results using it.

It seemed, though, that his type responded well to lowcarb dieting.. the problem there is that lots of people respond well to LC dieting.

I don't know how well the book is researched or referenced; I never read it.

Tryska
03-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Actually Live Right For Your Type is better.

I'm guessing he was a Type O. Like myself. i aslo respond better to low varb dieting. Type O also makes up something like 38% of the population (world-wide) so it doesn't surprise me that lots of people respond well.

the book actually is really quite well researched imo, i was also able to cross-reference with medline. and i'm a skeptic, so that's gotta say something.

Tryska
03-29-2002, 11:44 AM
actually i think Type Bs also respond well to low-carb. (except chicken). I haven't read much on them.....but they make up another 24% or some such figure, so that's pretty much 60% of the population.

btw...glad to see you came back around!

Alex.V
03-29-2002, 11:57 AM
I just don't get it. There's nothing instrinsic in clotting factors that would cause the body to respond differently to diet. And though the 'origins' theory is sound, there's been so much intermingling between people, who's to say that the same traits responsible for how the body reacts to food etc. hang along the same chromosomes as clotting factor types?

Maybe I'm not explaining myself very well, but I've had this debate so many times with my mother (who used to swear by this book), and I've read it myself, and I'm tempted to buy into it, but I just can't seem to reconcile the flaws.

breeze
03-29-2002, 12:04 PM
Well i have bought the book, thanks Tryska. I don't know if I agree with his reasoning but he gives very good diet advice for type o. I don't know about the rest. His type O diet is very similar to NHE.

Accipiter
03-29-2002, 12:04 PM
Tryska do you have a link to that laying around? I'm curious...just doesn't seem to sound plausible.

breeze
03-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Belial
I just don't get it. There's nothing instrinsic in clotting factors that would cause the body to respond differently to diet. And though the 'origins' theory is sound, there's been so much intermingling between people, who's to say that the same traits responsible for how the body reacts to food etc. hang along the same chromosomes as clotting factor types?

Maybe I'm not explaining myself very well, but I've had this debate so many times with my mother (who used to swear by this book), and I've read it myself, and I'm tempted to buy into it, but I just can't seem to reconcile the flaws.

Good point. but what if this same genetic factor is responsible for blood type.

JACK JOHNSTONE
03-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Tryska,
I have the book Live Right for Your Type. I have to say I do believe there is Some truth to the blood type connection. Does it effect everything, NO. I know to many people who are thriving off the diet so there is no way I could dismiss it. Sceptics believe the reason why so many people feeling great following the guidelines is because it is forcing them to eat healthier. This maybe but whatever the reason just about everyone I talk to who follows the diet loves it. Do I follow it detail by detail No but I have taken alot of the advice for my blood type and used it with some success.

Tryska
03-29-2002, 12:09 PM
well, it's not the clotting factors exactly b.

it's two-fold...but the first part has to do with the sugar structures on the antigens.

certain food proteins and sugars, and I guess certain disease as well, mimic the sugar chains of the various blood types. for example...A-types have a higher risk of getting various cancers, and also rougher time with cancer when they get it. the reason is that tumor cells mimic the A-antigen. so type As see these tumor cells, and think of them as self, so their immune systems don't seek and destroy. Type O's on the other hand, recognize these tumor cells as outside invaders (like the A bloodtype antigen) and have an easier time stopping a tumor from growing, as well as an easier time treating cancer. (doesn't apply to ALL cancers, but to many of them)

same thing with certain foods.

The second part, which is fascinating to me....is on a genetic level. The blood type gene sits directly on top of the genes that controll certain neurotransmitters, and in close proximity to a gene that influences digestive enzymes. The bloos type genet expresses itself on these related genes in different ways on different people.

Ie: type Os have issues with dopamins balance, and also thyroid hormone balance. They also have high levels of stomach acid, making it easier for them to cope with a high meat diet. Type As on the other hand have issues with Cortisol and are susceptible to stress disorders. They have low stomach acid, as well as lower levels of Intestinal Alkaline(?) Phosphatase. They can't cope as well with a diet rich in meat..and their digestive tracts are better suited to a diet rich in vegetables and lentils, beans etc.

the allele-level stuff, and the expression on various hormones and neuro-trasmitters in particular is what i find most fascinating.

Tryska
03-29-2002, 12:12 PM
accipter...you could try dadamo.com, however, that's more a reference and info ste for people who already have the book/s and want more info.

it's chock full of research articles, studies..a now-defunct bulletin board, q&as...that kinda thing.

Alex.V
03-29-2002, 12:15 PM
grrr, I wish I had gotten into this debate a year ago, when I was arguing this with people. I had all the info, too. Doh, well, I'll see what I can find, I'll get back to y'all.

ElPietro
03-29-2002, 12:20 PM
Could ya post the ISBN tina? I may go grab this book and see what I can make of it.

Tryska
03-29-2002, 12:27 PM
i got this for ya....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0399146733/qid=1017430011/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-4247975-0631223

ElPietro
03-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Thanks. :)

Relentless
05-13-2002, 08:35 AM
BUMP....

I'm keen to know if anyone else has had good/bad results with the Blood Type Diet?

Myself, I've been on it since Xmas and have had very positive reactions so far (leaning up, better energy, allergies disappeared, etc.).

I'm Type B

As far as Belial's criticisms go, I totally see where you're coming from man, but I think Tryska's explanation jibes very well with the way I've interpreted what Dadamo is saying . . . I'd be keen to see some of the contra-evidence you mentioned.

I also think that Jack Johnstone has a very valid point; the diet recommendations in the book favour consuming adequate amounts of good proteins and veggies for every type, avoiding saturated fats for the most part, and introducing variety into the diet as much as possible. This definitely can impact someone who wasn't eating very healthy to start with...

Overall, if one took nothing else other than 'don't eat wheat if you can help it' from the diet, i think it'd be valuable; there are ridiculous amounts of wheat in an average American diet (you need only look down any supermarket aisle or any restaurant menu) to see the pervasive nature of wheat in our diets. Regardless of whether the whole theory is right or wrong, it seems to me it CAN'T be good to eat that much of anything . . .

Anyway, I'd be keen to discuss any other aspects of this to get a better understanding of the topic.

Callahan

Relentless
05-13-2002, 08:38 AM
this should probably also be moved to Diet & Nutrition... moderators??

LiftAgain
05-13-2002, 08:52 AM
CHALLENGES TO THE BLOOD TYPE DIET (http://www.vegsource.com/klaper/diet.htm)

Tryska
05-13-2002, 09:41 AM
wow i see subtlety is lost on ther good doctor. So he has no choice but to rely on hysterical rhetoric.

As stated in the book, 95% of lectins are sloughed off in the body bbecause of our immune systems, and about 5% can contribute to problems.

Kidney bean lectin is one of the favorite poisons used by the biology community for testing other theories. I've forgotten the name of it, but i can find it, and people can run a medline search to see just how much you come up with.

as for the statement that type O's don't make enough iodine, yeah that was an incorrect statement. What he should have said was that O's don't absorb as much iodine, and therefore are unable to produce as much thyroid hormone. I have a feeling he was trying to dumb it down for people, but i don't know.

in any case, it's a nice little retort, but too hysterical to be valid imo.

anyways...callahan, yeah, once i cut out some of the other stuff recommended (as i was already eating fairly close to the recommendations) i've noticed several positive changes.

Paul Stagg
05-13-2002, 10:38 AM
LMAO @ that site.

breeze
05-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by LiftAgain
CHALLENGES TO THE BLOOD TYPE DIET (http://www.vegsource.com/klaper/diet.htm)

The critic is a vegan whose blood type is not O so he is hating. Seriously, the critic did not scientifically disprove the blood type diet either.

Relentless
05-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by breeze

The critic is a vegan whose blood type is not O so he is hating. Seriously, the critic did not scientifically disprove the blood type diet either.

According to ERFYT, Type A, not Type O is the vegetarian-ish one...

Matx
05-13-2002, 01:32 PM
too bad i dont know my blood type

Relentless
05-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Matx
too bad i dont know my blood type

You could donate a pint at your local Red Cross.

They'll thank you for it AND you'll get to find out your blood type. For FREE.

LiftAgain
05-13-2002, 04:19 PM
I have a feeling the blood type diet is just another way to get money by selling books.

IMO eating a well balanced diet will help anyone to get healthier regardless of AB0 blood type. :)

the_hall
05-13-2002, 05:29 PM
what do you guys mean "respond good" to low carb dieting, do you mean it is easier for them to get into ketosis? Or do you mean they dont suffer the side effects?

Tryska, I am type AB-. Is this bad for bodybuilding? In a nutshell what does it say about me?

Personally, I have been in ketosis for a week and have felt great. Not one single side effect, no bad breath or anything.

Maki Riddington
05-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Ha, I just realized I had this book all along Tryska.
It was at my parents house.
I'm gonna give it a read.

Tryska
05-13-2002, 08:39 PM
*lol* right on maki.

Matx - it's actually quite difficult for me to say, as I'm a type O, and i know mine inside out, but not as much about the others. What I can say is that being AB your needs are not quite as cut and dry as other blood groups since you have a little of A and a little of B.

I'm guessing callahan has some links he can provide you with that can give you a good breakdown of how your system works. If not I would go to the library and pull either eat right for your type or live right for your type. are you losing wieght on the keto?

Relentless
05-14-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
I'm guessing callahan has some links he can provide you with that can give you a good breakdown of how your system works. If not I would go to the library and pull either eat right for your type or live right for your type.

www.dadamo.com

most of whatcha need is right there.

Callahan

Tryska
05-14-2002, 07:16 AM
ya think?

Paul Stagg
05-14-2002, 07:22 AM
I have a feeling the blood type diet is just another way to get money by selling books.

IMO eating a well balanced diet will help anyone to get healthier regardless of AB0 blood type. :)

I think you might be on to something.

Tryska
05-14-2002, 07:26 AM
depends on your definition of healthy well-balanced diet, IMO.

Relentless
05-14-2002, 10:04 AM

Maybe. Maybe not. Read the book and learn a bit more about how the author and his naturopathic doctor father literally devoted their lives to this theory and helping people with it.

I ain't saying you're wrong... but a good naturopath can make an awfully decent living without needing to become an author.