PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a shirt

Code_B
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get into my first shirt soon and hoping to use it at the Dec 13th USPF meet at ST. I am trying to find out what I should get. I am an arched bencher and I am almost completely clueless. The RageX with a scoop neck has been suggested but I am also really interested in Titan as the blowout/runner guarantee is really appealing to me as well. If I were to go Titan should I go Katana or F6? Any suggestions on things I need to consider or just recommendations would be really helpful.

Thanks

Travis Bell
09-17-2008, 08:48 PM
I'd really recommend the Rage X, but without the scooped neck since its your first shirt. Its a great shirt that'll give you plenty of carryover at your meet.

Do you have training partners to help you with the shirt?

Ryano
09-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Here we go again... I would recomend the F6 for your first shirt. Learn the groove of that shirt and then go up to a Katana. There is no comparison between the guarantee of Titan shirts compared to Inzer.

vdizenzo
09-17-2008, 09:12 PM
I have never seen a Rage x blow. Can't go wrong with Inzer.

Code_B
09-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I will be training in the shirt myself most of the time. I have talked to Mike Tuchscherer on his board about getting it on/off myself etc and I'm gonna try and make it work. Hopefully I'll be able to travel for a couple of sessions with a friend of mine in San Jose and his crew but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I gotta figure this out soon so I actually have some time to train in it.

Travis Bell
09-17-2008, 09:19 PM
I've blown out 3 F6's. Yeah you get new ones, but it gets old. Each time you break in a new shirt, learn the groove and then I'd have it give out on me. I tried getting them custom made and different things to keep them from going out but not much worked.

Its nothing personal against Titan, I just don't do even a fraction as well in their gear as I do Inzer

waynedang
09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I have never seen a Rage x blow. Can't go wrong with Inzer.

Really? I have never seen a double ply blow but have seen a bunch of singles go. I had one go the myself.

I say try them all and find what works for ya thats what I did.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
09-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Definitely, get an Inzer Rage X!

oxo
09-18-2008, 06:23 AM
i to would say get a rageX i have had mine now for over 1 year and i still get about 70lbs out of it with adjustments of course

Ryano
09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
I get 200+ out of stock, single ply Titan gear. Never used Inzer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, they say. Best bet is try both and see which you like the best.

Guido
09-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I get 115-120lbs out of a single ply F-6. That's pretty good carryover compared to my raw bench. I'm expecting that with the Katana I'll get 150-160+ out of it.

The F-6 is a good beginner shirt, for sure.

drew
09-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I currently get 155 out of my double RageX. Hoping to make that 200+ at my next meet.

lackie
09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
double rage x mines2 years old and can still get 275-300 lbs out of it

elitepler
09-19-2008, 06:35 AM
I'll simply tell you what Vinny told me years ago. Pick a shirt and learn it! Do not shirt jump looking for the magic bullet. Metal, Inzer, Titan all good stuff, just pick one and do not give up on it.

mastermonster
09-20-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm sponsored by Titan so I'm sure this will be considered biased by some. But I'm sponsored by Titan because that's who I want to be sponsored by. I have used both extensively before settling on Titan, then later being sponsored by them. I've had 2 Rage Xs and got good results but blew the shoulder out on both close to the neck in about 6 months or less of use. My 1st Titan was a Fury I bought about 2003. I probably have put between 700-800 reps on that shirt myself and have loaned it out to several lifters I've helped train over the years. My newest training partner is using it even now. I have an F6 I bought in 2005 that has at least the same # of reps and it is still 100% sound. I now have both 1 and 2 ply Katanas with one of each with a ton of training and/or meet reps on them and no sign of a runner or anything.

From my experience the Rage X is close to the F6 in performance (edge to the F6) but is nowhere near as durable except in 2 ply. The Katana is significantly better than either but a little harder to master and touch than either.

I would agree with Ryano, start with an F6 and evolve to a Katana. Using my Comp Raw best to compare, I get a carry-over of approx. 240-250 out my single Katana and it's looking like around 340 or up for the 2 ply. That's based off of a 402 Raw best at 'Raw Unity' in January. Good luck with whichever choice you make.

vdizenzo
09-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Ok here we go, I don't want to bash, but... I was sponsored by Karin's at one point, I was wearing Titan for Bench America II. I am with Inzer because I wanted to be. To me their shirts are far above the rest. Karin's were good shirts, however, they seem to have fallen behind with the new poly stuff. My experience was awful with Titan. I was in contact with the owner and a custom shirt still took 12 weeks. With Inzer you can mix and match chestplate and arm sizes and it won't take three months. Anyway, the Fury got runs in it the first week. I ordered some from Priscilla Ribic. Her service was great, the shirts were not, they ran also. I know the shirts are different than the Fury now, but I have an awful taste in my mouth for Titan. I strongly recommend Inzer.

Ryano
09-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Vinny, I assume it was the first line of Fury shirts you had, and you're right, they did run pretty easily if you had a tight one. Now, with the NXG+ material, they don't run until after they are well worn. With the Katana material, you can get them as tight as you want and it won't run at all. Much better material. I've also had good and bad dealings with Titan. My first shirt took forever to get because I went directly to Titan. Going to a dealer is MUCH faster. I'm now sponsored and have gotten a custom shirt made and delivered in less than a week. Like I've said before, the only Inzer shirt I've ever had was a Blast shirt, so I can't comment on the quality of the Rage line of shirts. They are obviously good shirts because most of the top lifters are wearing them. I still believe it's who is in the shirt, not the shirt that counts. All of those top lifters could be lifting just as much in a Titan shirt, but loyalty stops them from changing. Same here, I'm Titan all the way.

Code_B
09-22-2008, 08:25 PM
OK I got a katana because I got it from a friend isntead of buying a new shirt. It should be a perfect fit as numerous inquiries I have made as well as measurements say I should be a 48 for a tight fit. I can get the shirt on pretty quickly with another person and almost completely on myself in like 2 minutes. My question is, is it normal for me not to be able to tuck my shoulderblades as fully as I could if I was benching raw. I try to pull them tight but the chest plate pulls taught and I can't get them all the way back. Normal?

Travis Bell
09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
if you're wearing a close back, yes its somewhat normal. You'll just have to pull really really hard to get them to pinch

Code_B
09-22-2008, 09:18 PM
if you're wearing a close back, yes its somewhat normal. You'll just have to pull really really hard to get them to pinch

ok thanks, I figured that was the situation. Saturday I'm heading into a gym where people actually have some experience with these things, I'm just asking now cuz I'm dying of curiosity.

drew
09-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Don't pull the neck down too much in front and you should be able to get your shoulders beck more. You'll have to figure out where you want the shirt, so just work in it for a while and figure it out for yourself. Having people that know what they're doing helps tremendously.

Ripe1
09-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Which measurement should be the deciding factor when it comes to size? Chest or upper arm? My chest measurement is ok but my fishing lines aka upper arms are about half an inch less than the number in the sizing chart. Should I go with the chest measurement and work on my arms or get a shirt that is tight on the chest and comfy around the arms?

Ben Moore
09-30-2008, 07:19 AM
I ordered mine through Iron Gladiators and was able ti give all my measurements. I'm pretty sure Travis said you can do the same through Inzer.

Travis Bell
09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Yep. You can order it with different sized arms so that it'll fit fine.