PDA

View Full Version : Burning fat correctly?

Z 2 8
09-19-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm going to the Navy in January and i want to make sure i'm in peak physical shape. (less body fat, the better) Currently, i can do 73 pushups in 1 minute, 65 sit ups in 1 minute and a 1.5 mile run in 10mins. I'm 5'8, 145lbs

I want to continue on improving these categories. But, from what i understand eating is very important and training the wrong way can make you burn muscle instead of fat? I want to avoid this...

My basal metabolic rate is 1700. So, i figure if i eat under that amount, i should lose weight/fat. Correct? From what i understand, it's the only way to do so...Now, since i run every other day and do situps, pushups, etc, every other day, i'm burning more calories than a typical 1700BMR. So, does this mean i should eat more on the days i'm working out to restore those calories i've burned? I assume i burn about 300-400 calories per workout session. So, instead of me eating 1600 calories, i should eat 1900? Basically, i just want to continue to burn more calories than i consume. Is this correct, or do i need to be eating more?

My abs are coming around fairly well and i want them to show even more. So, the only way to do that, is to lose body fat! Am i on the right track, or should i alter anything?

Basic food day list.

1 banana, 1/2 cup of oats with 1 cup of fat free milk, 1 cup of shreaded wheat cereal, with 1 cup of milk. Roughly 600 calories...

2 eggs, 1 can of tuna

1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup of fat free milk.

Turkey sandwich on rye bread (thin sliced bread, 23g carb total). Apple, maybe something else small...Depending on how hungry i am.

4-6 ounce chicken breast and veggies.

If i do a night run, i'll come back and have nectar protein with water. 90 calories, 23g protein.

McLaughlin
09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Dude, unless you're going into Diver, seals, EOD or SeaBees you really don't need to be in super good shape.

You'll probably come out of boot camp in worse shape than you went in to be honest.

(sorry that's just from personal experience)

Are you going for one of those? What's your rate?

I went in for Subs as an ET (electronics tech).

Z 2 8
09-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Dude, unless you're going into Diver, seals, EOD or SeaBees you really don't need to be in super good shape.

You'll probably come out of boot camp in worse shape than you went in to be honest.

(sorry that's just from personal experience)

Are you going for one of those? What's your rate?

I went in for Subs as an ET (electronics tech).

Yeah, i've heard that i will be in worse shape. I'm going to do my best by not letting that happen...Those 3 times a day i eat, i'll be eating a lot!! It's sad, but whatever exercise they make me do, i'm going to try and focus on the right muscle for a good workout, lol...I heard basic wasn't really that hard...Also, how much swimming is involved in basic?

How did you like subs? Doesn't that mean you were in a sub most of the time, or on a ship for the most part?

I'm thinking about doing seal training, or spec ops. For either, you need to be in amazing shape...I can do 100 pushups, but i'm just at 73 in a minute right now. My goal is 83 in 1 minute.

I may not do spec ops or seal training, but i've thought about it. Therefore, i want to be in shape for it. Do you have any suggestions on good jobs for the Navy? I've heard the career job is an important choice. It can be the time of your life, or feel like a prison. I want to make sure i get a good job.

I was thinking AO, PR, ABE, DC, HM, or spec ops. I sign this week. I've already taken the ASVAB, i just need to do the physical and i'm done...I know the ship date will be in january though.

McLaughlin
09-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Subs = no time on a ship and they're awesome if you don't get claustrophobic.

What job depends on what you like to do... as ET I was trained on electronics and navigation. But being on sub everyone has to get qualified on damn near everything because if a few people are hurt or sick your crew could be screwed.

If you are going to go for spec ops or anything like that make sure you're in the best shape you can get into before hand.

Not much swimming in boot camp, and swimming lessons for those that can't swim at all (I didn't think it was possible... but apparently some people just never learned growing up... my family grew up on a lake, so I couldn't help but learn) You'll have to tread water for about 5 minutes or so, maybe swim a bit, but nothing major. It's ez.

You're right about the prison/time of life thing... it's so true. SeaBees are ****ing cool, I forget what their rate is, but basically they build things... and shoot things, and get trained in close-combat as well... kind of a "jack of all trades"... one of their favorite sayings was "...with a tool belt in one hand, and an m-16 in the other..."

Anyways yeah, job comes down to what you want to do basically. Even a "perfect" sounding job will have **** days, always remember that. Take the good with the bad, even if some days it seems like the bad out weighs the good. I'd give anything to be back in the Navy right now.

These are the jobs I was looking at if I ever re-enlisted:
IT, CTN, CTO, IS, CTA, MA, LN, RP, YN

I like computers and such, so the first few related to that.

Z 2 8
09-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Subs = no time on a ship and they're awesome if you don't get claustrophobic.

What job depends on what you like to do... as ET I was trained on electronics and navigation. But being on sub everyone has to get qualified on damn near everything because if a few people are hurt or sick your crew could be screwed.

If you are going to go for spec ops or anything like that make sure you're in the best shape you can get into before hand.

Not much swimming in boot camp, and swimming lessons for those that can't swim at all (I didn't think it was possible... but apparently some people just never learned growing up... my family grew up on a lake, so I couldn't help but learn) You'll have to tread water for about 5 minutes or so, maybe swim a bit, but nothing major. It's ez.

You're right about the prison/time of life thing... it's so true. SeaBees are ****ing cool, I forget what their rate is, but basically they build things... and shoot things, and get trained in close-combat as well... kind of a "jack of all trades"... one of their favorite sayings was "...with a tool belt in one hand, and an m-16 in the other..."

Anyways yeah, job comes down to what you want to do basically. Even a "perfect" sounding job will have **** days, always remember that. Take the good with the bad, even if some days it seems like the bad out weighs the good. I'd give anything to be back in the Navy right now.

These are the jobs I was looking at if I ever re-enlisted:
IT, CTN, CTO, IS, CTA, MA, LN, RP, YN

I like computers and such, so the first few related to that.

What do you think about AO?

Also, if you liked the Navy so much, why did you leave?

I'm seriously thinking about making a career out of this...If i like it of course...

fitforlifeMIA
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Z 2 8 during my marine boot camp i was starving those 3 months. i dont know how the navy is. just to give you an advice every time after we were done having chow we had to run back to our gear. then march to our squad bay and then get hammered with calisthenics (body weight exercise dips, push ups, sit ups, squats, mountain climbers) i was used to eating 180g protein daily 200g carbs and 2500g calories before i joined the marines. i would eat 6x's/ daily. in boot camp you eat 3. 3 meals timed and with proper form. sometimes they give you a butter knife only to eat. try eating like that in 3 minutes. you barely get food into your mouth. but they cant say they didnt feed you. try to get use to exercise with out eating so much. because i was starving those 3 months. drink a lot of water. you will be fine have faith and put all your heart into it. Remember boot camp is more mental that physical. you sound like your doing good. pushups make sure your going all the way up and all the chest is hitting the floor. pull ups chin over bar and all the way down. train like that and you will be fine. i was a squad leader when i first got in then they took me off. i was told so my head would not get big. HOOOOOOOOORAW!!!!!!!!! ANY advice to help you i will give you

McLaughlin
09-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Navy bootcamp is easier than marine boot camp, marines are more physical.

As for why I love the navy and am not in... I suffered from a severe case of insomnia for about 3 months, was sleeping no more than 1-2 hours per night if at all, was a walking zombie durring the day. Tried various meds but nothing worked... finally they gave me an honorable administrative discharge. I hadn't done anything wrong, but I couldn't continue in service due to my sleep problems. Since then I've gotten it mostly under control. I can sleep 7-8 hours without a problem most nights.

AO sounds like a good job, I met a 1st class petty officer in boot camp that was AO and he loved it. Working on a carrier would be badass too I think, 5,000 people man, it's like a damn city. Not sure what type of job you'd be able to get afterwards with AO but I'm sure you'd find something, or just use the GI Bill to goto college for whatever.

I agree about being hungry... if you're used to eating a lot. Else-wise just eat as much as you can at every meal and you should be alright. I would pile on as much as I could of whatever was available, fruit, veggies.. whatever. If there was a soup I'd have them put the veggies in the soup so I could eat it faster. On top of each meal I'd make 2 or 3 pb n j's to go with everything and just inhale it. They had milk available so I usually had 1-2 glasses of milk with each meal. I got in the habbit of eating fast (about 5-6 minutes) so I would have 4-5 minutes of relax time after eating while everyone else was finishing. We usually got about 10-12 minutes for a meal. One day I was eating one of my PBJ sandwiches and a guy looked up and dropped his fork... I ate them in 3 bites, took swig of milk and kept going. He told me later he wanted to invite me over for thanksgiving just to watch me eat.