PDA

View Full Version : Soy protein?

scrawnybastard
09-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I was forced to get Zone nutriton bars (14 g protein), as there was little else to choose from at Costco. The protein in the bars comes from soy. Is soy protein good and in any way comparable to whey?

.MN.
09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/3/570S

I would try to stay away from eating soy on a regular basis.

scrawnybastard
09-20-2008, 08:47 PM
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/3/570S

I would try to stay away from eating soy on a regular basis.

I'm not going to lie, I really didn't feel much like reading that. :confused:
But it doesn't sound too serious. I can't mix up shakes in my dorm, so I'll use the 24 bars I have for after workouts. Later, I'll buy protein bars from the school stores or maybe something else from Costco.

Travis Bell
09-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Why can't you mix shakes in your dorm? I did it all 4 years in undergrad. Get a mini fridge, keep your milk in there and get a shaker cup or a blender. Not a real big deal. Lot less expensive than tons of protein bars.

scrawnybastard
09-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Why can't you mix shakes in your dorm? I did it all 4 years in undergrad. Get a mini fridge, keep your milk in there and get a shaker cup or a blender. Not a real big deal. Lot less expensive than tons of protein bars.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to have a blender and would rather not bother my roommates, though I may try this later on. I'm sure the campus store has shaker-type cups.
2 questions:
How does whey protein taste with just milk?
What do you think of pre-made protein shakes? (read:myoplex)

Travis Bell
09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
the taste will more depend on the brand, but I think it tastes very good with milk.

Just go to your local GNC or Vitamen world and get a shaker cup there

scrawnybastard
09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
the taste will more depend on the brand, but I think it tastes very good with milk.

Just go to your local GNC or Vitamin world and get a shaker cup there

You didn't answer my second question, but was that intentional?

hintsas5
09-20-2008, 10:07 PM

they are more expensive, and unnecessary since powder is a lot cheaper and not really a hassle at all... But they are fine if you dont mind spending the money. You are allowed to have a blender if you want, no1 is ever going to come into your dorm room and check to see if you have a blender. There were many things that we werent supposed to have in the dorms my first two years, but i didnt listen to what we werent allowed to have, and i never got in trouble for it.

I would recommend just getting a shaker bottle, or you can pour milk in a glass, add a scoop of protein, and then mix it with a spoon for 30 seconds, it'll work just as good.

Travis Bell
09-20-2008, 10:18 PM

nope, not intentional. Sorry about that. LOL I've got a crapload of allergy medicenes in me now so you'll have to pardon my fogginess at times

Ready to drink protein shakes are great. I get some when I'm going to be on the road for awhile or something.

For long term use, as the above poster noted, they are expensive. Most of them will cost you a couple bucks per shake when you figure it out, so multiply that by 2 or 3 times a day over the length of the school year, its pretty expensive. If money isn't a problem though, that'd be fine.

I used a blender in my dorm room. To be honest, it was against the rules but I had a george foreman grill and an electric skillet as well as the blender. I just kept them in my closet and used them when I needed to. If you and your roomate get along, he'll get used to it. You figure the blender is only on for a few seconds and you're good to go.

essentialherb08
09-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Death to Soy

McLaughlin
09-21-2008, 07:49 AM
If your room mates complain... kill them.

Go for the blender.

Mix protein with milk.

Don't eat soy if you can help it.

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to use the bars now, and over winter break I'll get whey powder from costco, and buy a shaker cup, or maybe a small blender. The only problem with the blender would be having to wash it in the bathroom sink.

Reko
09-21-2008, 04:24 PM
then get shakers. its not that big of a deal really. you can buy them online and have them shipped to you.

Travis Bell
09-21-2008, 04:30 PM
yeah I washed mine in the bathroom sink to. water is water bud.

that costco protein will give you some nasty bloating too.

Lones Green
09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to use the bars now, and over winter break I'll get whey powder from costco, and buy a shaker cup, or maybe a small blender. The only problem with the blender would be having to wash it in the bathroom sink.

it won't be too bad with a magic bullet

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
yeah I washed mine in the bathroom sink to. water is water bud.

that costco protein will give you some nasty bloating too.

Not costco brand, I just mean that I'll get it at Costco probably.