PDA

View Full Version : scrawnybastard's journal

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I have finally stared Rippetoe's. Even though today was Sunday, I took advantage of the free time to hit the gym. I'll be working out m-w-f after this week.
Breakfast:
1 glass OJ
1 glass low fat milk
waffles
2 scrambled eggs (estimate)
2 strips bacon
hash browns
small donut
My school has a buffet style dining hall, so I'll take advantage of that.

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 12:07 PM
About 20 min later, I went to the gym to do Rippetoe's
Squat: bar x5 (warm-up)
95x2x5
They felt a little easy, so I did 100 x1x5
My legs felt a little sore, so that's good. I'll increase the working weight to 100 next time.
Bench: bar x6 warm-up
65x3x5
Fairly easy, but I think I was too far back under the bar. Up 5 next time.
Deadlift: warm-up 65x5
95x1x5
I felt these in my back afterwards, and I have a very weak back, so these should help. Up 10 next time.
Dips
No assist 2,
40lb assist 5
I'll increase the assist enough that I can do 8, and go from there.
My chest didn't feel very sore(I still need to work on my bench technique), but my legs, tris, and back did. I knocked out this workout in about 30 min, but as I lift more, I'll rest more in between sets.
Post workout: Zone nutrition bar (210 cal, 14g protein)
It's all I've got right now.
Also, I found out I only weigh 111 in shoes. It would have been a bitch just to take them off for that. Next workout will be on Tues or Wed.

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
here are my starting pics:

I don't have a camera, so these will have to do.

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Lunch:
chicken breast
1 slice cheese pizza
2 oatmeal raisin cookies
small bowl of rice

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Dinner
I had a rice dish, a pasta dish, and a slice of pepporoni pizza, which was about 570 calories total. (I checked online.)
And also:
1 small piece of garlic bread
1 glass milk
1 slice of pumpkin pie :drooling:

scrawnybastard
09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
late-night snack:
blueberry muffin
20 oz Lipton green tea
I'll probably get less than 6 hours of sleep this night.
:(

chrisco915
09-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Can you give us some specs? Height, Weight...etc. What workout are you following those 3 days? What diet are you following? What are you trying to accomplish? Do you cardio? If so when, what and for how long?

And supps........whey, creatine, BCAAs???

scrawnybastard
09-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I'll give some background. I am 17 years old and have just started college. I'm 5-8 and only weigh 111 in shoes( i couldn't take them off then). I hope to get up to 150 by the end of the school year, and up to 125 by Christmas.
I'm doing Rippetoe's program like this:
Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Dips 2x8

Workout B
Squat 3x5
Military Shoulder Press 3x5
Bent Over Rows 3x5
Chin-ups 2x8
It alternates like this
Week 1:
Monday: Workout A
Wed. Workout B
Fri A
Mon B
As for diet, no specific plan, but my school dining halls are buffet, so I try to take advantage.
I don't have any supplements except for a multivitamin and some nutrition bars with protein. I'll try to get whey later on, but I probably won't be able to get it for a while.
I don't do cardio, but I may play basketball from time to time.

scrawnybastard
09-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Breakfast:
Scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, and pancakes, which was about 680 cals
1 glass low fat milk
1 small bowl cream of rice
about 3/4 of an apple

scrawnybastard
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
My triceps, glutes, quads and chest are all sore from yesterday's workout. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with my next one.

chrisco915
09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
What is a "Rippetoe"?

Also...and I am not trying to be ass........Why would you be lifting like that at 111lbs? How long have you been training? If you haven't been seriously training for at least a year I would seriously lobby for you not to start your training career like that. That is a Powerlifting program and your body is not ready to start like that. You have tendons and ligaments to think about too.

Damn....I wish i could eat like that. Nice variety. Whey????

scrawnybastard
09-23-2008, 09:54 AM
What is a "Rippetoe"?

Also...and I am not trying to be ass........Why would you be lifting like that at 111lbs? How long have you been training? If you haven't been seriously training for at least a year I would seriously lobby for you not to start your training career like that. That is a Powerlifting program and your body is not ready to start like that. You have tendons and ligaments to think about too.

Damn....I wish i could eat like that. Nice variety. Whey????

From what I've been told, Rippetoe's program is great for beginners.

scrawnybastard
09-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I got about 8 hours of sleep last night, but my body is still sore from Sunday's workout.
Today's breakfast:
Omelet with cheese, peppers, mushrooms, and ham
2 waffles
glass of milk
2/3 glass of orange juice
I'll be starting workout B soon.

Coke
09-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Glad to see you get things started...these are humble beginnings for you, good luck with it all.

scrawnybastard
09-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Thank you.
Just got back from the gym
Squat 45 x1 x5
100 x3 x5 I had some difficulty on these, and I keep having trouble balancing the bar. I don't know whether to lower the weight or raise it next time, but I will use two warm-up sets. My legs were sore coming in.
Shoulder Press 15's x5, 40 x3 x5 I'm so weak, I had to use a short bar from the curling racks.
Bent Over Rows 25 x1 x5, 40 x3 x5 Once again, curl rack barbrell.
Chinups 40 lb assist 8, 52 pound assist 8 I'll use 46 for both sets next time.
Post workout: zone nutrition bar (210 cals, 14g protein), multivitamin
I did also see 3 guys doing buddy curls next to the squat rack with 25 lbs. It seemed odd...:confused:

scrawnybastard
09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Small snack: Nature Valley granola bar (180 cals)

scrawnybastard
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Lunch:
Cheeseburger
1 slice pepperoni pizza
1 small bowl roasted red potatoes
1 frosted mini-donut
1 glass pink lemonade

scrawnybastard
09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Yesterday's dinner:
BBQ beef rib :)
plate of rice with beef and potatoes
steamed vegetables
soft serve frozen yogurt (w/ cone)

scrawnybastard
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Breakfast:
2 pancakes w/ syrup
small bowl of apple jacks w/ low fat milk
1 glass low-fat milk
1/2 glass oj
1/4 omelet (I wasn't sure if it was cooked all the way, it might have made me sick)
Later on, I had an ice cream sandwich:D
I've been doing a lot of walking, hopefully that isn't burning too many calories or hurting my recovery.

scrawnybastard
09-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Lunch:
Bowl of spaghetti w/ sauce and 2 meatballs
bowl of minestrone soup
chicken breast w/ bbq sauce
1 slice pepperoini pizza
1 banana

scrawnybastard
09-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Breakfast:
small bowl cream of rice
scrambled eggs, 2 strips bacon, hash browns
1/2 grapefruit
1 glass milk
1 glass oj
Sometimes I don't list meals because I eat in a dining hall and it's not always easy to list exactly what I ate. First day of classes for me. :eek:
I'm headed off to the gym.

scrawnybastard
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Today's workout:
Squats:
Bar x 5
65 x5
105 x5 x3 I had some difficulty. I'll take more rest next time, but I need to make sure my form is right. I saw a guy coaching this kid to squat with the puss pad. :tuttut:
Bench:
bar x5
70 x5 x3 Did this with little trouble. Up to 75 next time.
Deadlift
65 x5
95 x5
105 x5 x3
Up 10 next time. Won't be long before I can actually use "one plate" per side. :)
Dips (52 lb assist) 8, 8 I'll use the next setting next time.

scrawnybastard
09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Post workout: Zone nutrition bar, 210 cal, 14 gprotein
couple of hours later: large apple

scrawnybastard
09-25-2008, 01:20 PM
After my first week, I will be able to take a much needed 3 days off, because this week will go m-w-f, and I have been very stiff and sore all week.

scrawnybastard
09-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately today's breakfast sucked. Still sore, I'll probably play some basketball today. If my arms don't grow at all after 3 weeks (i'm pretty sure they will with the dips and chins), then I'll throw in some barbell curls at the end of the week.

scrawnybastard
09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Breakfast was really crappy:
10 oz 2% milk
about 1/4 of a ham and cheese croissant :(
1 banana

I tried to make up for it with lunch:
Cheeseburger
1 small "buffalo-style" chicken breast
small bowl of steamed peas and carrots
Rotelli carbonara (190 cals)
1 glass raspberry iced tea
1/2 glass milk
1 slice apple pie :)
1 bowl ceasar salad (no dressing)

scrawnybastard
09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Looking in the mirror after one week, it looks like I've already just gained fat on my stomach. I'll check my weight after two weeks total and every two weeks afterwards.

scrawnybastard
09-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Dinner:
1 enchilada
plate of fajita (rice, peppers, meat, but no tortilla)
1 small churro
1/2 cup rice
1/4 slice chocolate cake
1 glass milk
1/2 glass cranberry juice cocktail
sweet potato fries
My fractions are almost always estimates.

Earlier in the day:
large apple

scrawnybastard
09-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Late-night snack:
1 large slice pepperoni & mushroom pizza

scrawnybastard
09-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately for me, on the weekends, only a couple of my school's dining halls are open. Instead of breakfast and lunch, I get "continental breakfast" and 'brunch". This could hinder my progress (no eggs in the morning).

Ben Moore
09-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately for me, on the weekends, only a couple of my school's dining halls are open. Instead of breakfast and lunch, I get "continental breakfast" and 'brunch". This could hinder my progress (no eggs in the morning).

Stock up on Friday's - my dining hall used to do hard boiled eggs that's i'd stuff in a ziplock and put in my fridge for later.

Either that or make those days you save a couple bucks back and hit the local fast food place for a cheap breakfast.

You could also try putting a not in to the director of the school's food service voicing your concern. Maybe they could at least add eggs or somthing hot on those days.

scrawnybastard
09-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Stock up on Friday's - my dining hall used to do hard boiled eggs that's i'd stuff in a ziplock and put in my fridge for later.

Either that or make those days you save a couple bucks back and hit the local fast food place for a cheap breakfast.

You could also try putting a not in to the director of the school's food service voicing your concern. Maybe they could at least add eggs or somthing hot on those days.

I'm not allowed to take food out of the dining halls, just one of the following:
1 ice cream cone
1 pastry
2 cookies
1 piece of fruit
I think the salad bar has some cold hard boiled eggs so I may try that and be stealthy about it. :evillaugh:
The brunch isn't too bad, I had this today:
Scrambled eggs w/ "breakfast potatoes"
1 slice cheese pizza
1 small bowl spaghetti and meatballs
1 slice peach cobbler a la mode
2 pancakes
8 oz milk
1 orange

The closest fast food place to my campus is burger king, so idk, it is still a bit far away. There is a jamba juice that I could hit up for some extra calories, that's all I know of. Other than stealing food on friday, I think I can make up for it somewhat by drinking more milk in the morning.

Ben Moore
09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Who gives a **** if you're not supposed to. Put it in your bag. Where there's a will there's a way. You already paid for your meal plan - get your money's worth!

Reko
09-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Who gives a **** if you're not supposed to. Put it in your bag. Where there's a will there's a way. You already paid for your meal plan - get your money's worth!

+1

We would fill up jugs of milk from the dining hall and a full set of silverware and cups. If you still are against taking it out, just sit there and stuff your face, bring a book to read for 30 mins, then go back and get a second meal while they are still open, and repeat at the second session.

Also, 5 bucks goes a long way with a dollar menu.

Reko
09-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Actually now that I think about it, the guys I lived with and I would just go into the fridges and grab the eggs our selves if they didn't have any out. They never said anything.

And, if you are still against that, you can just ask the people serving if you have eggs, they sually make those ahead of time so they probably have some hard boiled ones sitting around somewhere.

scrawnybastard
09-28-2008, 06:29 PM

I know saying this will probably piss you off more, but you actually can't bring a bag in either (I'm assuming it has to do with taking food).

And the meal plan is only good for 19 meals a week! What a ripoff!

I think I may also make sandwiches and take them from the dining hall.

Reko
09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Do they have cavity searches before you go in? Can you not bring a backpack with you, that may or may not happen to have a bag that you can make use when its crowded or in a corner where they can't see you?

scrawnybastard
09-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Do they have cavity searches before you go in? Can you not bring a backpack with you, that may or may not happen to have a bag that you can make use when its crowded or in a corner where they can't see you?

You have to leave backpacks outside, in the lockers. I think I'll take extra advantage of wearing hoodies.

scrawnybastard
09-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I can't wait to hit the gym tommorrow. I should get a good night's sleep(although I have to wake up at 6:30), and I'll be doing workout B:
Squats 110 x 5 x 3
Military Press 45x5 x 3
Bent Over Rows 45 x5 x3
Assisted Chinups 2x8 46 lb assist

Reko
09-29-2008, 08:31 AM
You have to leave backpacks outside, in the lockers. I think I'll take extra advantage of wearing hoodies.

2 words:

Cargo pants.

You should go to a library and check out "Steal this book" its all about living cheap and it has pretty clever ideas for smuggling food out of there.

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Interesting.
About to head off to the gym. TODAY'S BREAKFAST:
1/2 grapefruit
8 oz non-fat milk
2 waffles
2 scrambled eggs, 2 sausage links, breakfast potatoes
1 hash brown patty

Reko
09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
The author is Abbie Hoffman.

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I might buy that book...or would that defeat the purpose?
When I got to the gym and weighed myself, I was 117 in shorts, a t-shirt, and shoes! But I was only 111 in shoes last week. And I may have even been dehydrated today. How did that happen?
This is how my workout went:
Squats 65 x5
95 x4
100x5
I feel like my form is faltering, so I went back down to 95 for the other 2 sets. My legs always seem to move close together on the descent. Is that bad?
Military Press
15's x5 Warm-Up
I did 40 lb barbell last week ,and now switched to 20 lb db's, because there was no 45 lb bar on the curling rack. Should I use the 22.5 dbs next time?
20s x3 x5
One Arm rows:
22.5's x 3 x5
No warm-up for these, once again no curl rack bar for 45 lbs, so I had to use dbs. Next time, I'll use the 50 lb curl bar.
While doing these and the db presses, there was a hot girl doing some kind of db squat next to me. I almost got an embarrassing "pump". I love the eye candy at my gym, but it can be distracting. :hide:
Assisted chin-ups 46 lb assist 2 x8 No warm-up for these either. Next week 40 lbs.
I did the entire workout in 20-25 minutes and feel like a pansy. I expect the workouts to get longer when I start lifting more and need to rest more.

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Post workout:
Zone nutrition bar (210 cal, 14 g protein)
apple
multivitamin

Reko
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Post workout:
Zone nutrition bar (210 cal, 14 g protein)
apple
multivitamin

No dining hall buffet?

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 01:17 PM
That's just for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I'll be having lunch soon, but my school has a few restaurants that the meal plan can be used in for a combo meal, which I think I'll go to in 30 min-1 hr.

Reko
09-29-2008, 01:25 PM
so, your dhall isnt open all day? What kind of a school do you go to?

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 04:19 PM
It is, I just am limited to three meals in it per day.
My lunch:
personal sized bbq chicken pizza
curly fries

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Couple of questions:
How could I have gained 6 lbs in 8 days?
Should I add in ab work?
Is it bad that my workout lasted less than 30 mins?
Optional: Have you ever gotten an embarrassing "pump" at the gym?

Reko
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
water weight
yes
you probably can't go all out, but not necessarily bad
no

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
If it was water weight, I instantly feel useless. I weighed myself at the same time of day, and if anything, I was dehydrated.

My gym has a station where you can do jacknife type crunches. I might do that.

I expect the workouts to last longer when I'm lifting heavier and need more rest iin between sets. I'm only using 2 warm-up sets when lifting over 100.

And also, how do I keep my legs from moving together when squatting?

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Dinner: Two beef tacos
Rice
Beans

Reko
09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
push your knees out. thats all there is to it. remember to do it.
remind yourself each rep to do it, or have someone stand behind you and tell you to do it.

scrawnybastard
09-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks. Should I drop to the weight I started with, or move up 5 lbs?

scrawnybastard
09-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs
2 strips bacon
hash browns
1/2 grapefruit
2 triangles of french toast
1 frosted mini donut
1 apple
6 oz orange juice

scrawnybastard
09-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I ate both lunch and breakfast later than usual, and didn't feel much like eating at lunch.
Lunch:
1 slice cheese pizza
8 oz low fat milk
1/4 chicken pot pie
1/3 philly cheesesteak sandwich
vanilla ice cream cone
While eating this, I heard some girls talking about Jagerbombs. Now all I can think about is Heinekens and Jagerbombs.

Reko
09-30-2008, 04:04 PM
lowfat milk?

scrawnybastard
09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I can only stand 1 and 2 %. The choices were "whole", "low fat", and "non-fat". Whole milk sickens me, and skim milk tastes like milky water.
Also, they call it a puss pad for a reason, but should I use it to start until I develop my traps to support the bar better?

scrawnybastard
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Dinner: Large burrito with beef beans and rice :)
Nachos w/ guacamole

scrawnybastard
10-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Breakfast: Omelet with ham, cheese, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, and spinach (To my dismay, this only has 307 cals and 14 g protein :eek:)
2 triangles of french toast (107 cal, I assuming that's 107 each) with syrup
8 oz oj
8 oz low fat milk
About to head off to the gym.

borracho
10-01-2008, 10:50 AM
your journal makes me hungry..

scrawnybastard
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
your journal makes me hungry..

Is that your way of saying I'm not eating enough?
I didn't feel good in the morning and had to force myself to eat even that.

Just got back from the gym.

Squats bar x 5
95 x5
100 x 5 x3
I corrected my form somewhat, dropping my hips first, not my knees. I really felt more pressure on my quads and not my knees, so that's good.

At this point it was time to bench, but I'm in college, so everyone was doing every upper body exercise known to man. The weight room at my gym has one room of machines, one free weight room, and a leg room. Guys always work out in the 2nd room and the other two are relatively empty, except for squatters (I never have to wait for the squat rack). So I do deadlifts inthe squat rack.
65 lbs x4
95 lbs x5
110x5
I actually used the mixed grip this time. Should I be feeling it in my arms?
Oops, I thought I did 115, when I had a 25, 5, and 2.5 on each side. SO I only went up by 5 instead of 10. Next time I use 120 (25, 10, 2.5)

Benches still unavailable so I did assisted dips. 46 lb assist 8,8

Bench
bar x5
75 x5 x3
I was able to do this despite fatiguing my tris a bit from the dips. Sadly this ties my PR. 80 next week.

The workout still took me only about 30 mins though.

scrawnybastard
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Before my workout I weighed in at 119 in shoes, 117 without. I put on shoe on the scale for good measure, and it weighed 1 lb. So I'll just weigh in with shoes from now on and subtract 2 lbs. I'm up 8 lbs since I started. i remember reading something like this somewhere (not an exact quote):

"It is possible that skinny teenagers may gain 10-15 pounds of non-fat bodyweight in the first two weeks of a barbell strength training program, provided they eat well."

So I hope this is what is happening. Post workout: Zone nutrition bar: 210 cals, 14 g protein

scrawnybastard
10-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Lunch: Take-out box of chicken nuggets and fries. I didn't finish it then, but I will before I sleep.

Dinner: Roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy
Salad w/ 1000 island dressing
Small bowl of rice w/ vegetables
8 oz milk
Ice cream cone
Chicken breast

I also picked up a pack of peanuts for a high protein snack.

scrawnybastard
10-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 strips bacon, breakfast potatotes
2 pancakes
1/2 grapefruit
8 oz oj
8 oz milk
small frosted donut

Small snack: Handful of peanuts
Lunch: Cheese and potato enchilada
"American sandwich"(this was just turkey at lettuce on thick bread)
1 slice pepperoini pizza
1 vanilla ice cream cone

scrawnybastard
10-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I think I'll add the ab work after 3 weeks.

scrawnybastard
10-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Today's dinner:
Double cheeseburger
Fries
Vanilla shake
1750 cals :)

scrawnybastard
10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Breakfast:
2 triangles french toast
8 oz oj
8 oz low fat milk
scrambled eggs, 2 strips bacon, breakfast potatoes
It was a bitch to even eat that in the morning.

My workout was delayed. I first went to squat. Both racks were being used for bent rows. I decided to warm-up my shoulders after wandering around the gym like an idiot. I couldn't do my working sets because the place was full of people doing every curl imaginable. This is why I go earlier. Then I squatted:

bar x5
65 x5
105 x5 x3
I'm working on dropping my hips rather than my knees. As a result a feel more power going up.

Military press
warm-up 15's x 5
22.5's x5 x3
I actually had some trouble finishing the sets.
Should I use the bar next time, or 25 lb dbs?

Bent Rows 50 x 5 x3
I'll have to use the power rack next time with 55, unless there is a 55 short bar.

Chin-Ups 40 lb assist 2 x8
I tried to do machine crunches, but I guess my abs are so weak I could only do 4. That or I was using the machine wrong.

scrawnybastard
10-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Immediately post workout
Handful of peanuts
Not much, just needed some protein and had to stay hungry for lunch.
Lunch:
1 slice cheese pizza
1 slice pepperoni pizza
1 tiny pumpkin pie piece (I don't know how else to describe it. it was like a tiny, tiny pie)
1/2 chicken torta
Bean and cheese nachos

Later on:
pear

Coke
10-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Glad to see the effort, stay on top of the sessions and get into the gym man.

scrawnybastard
10-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Thank you. Reko, you'll be glad to know I stole some extra fruit from the dining hall, as well as a couple of eggs. I really love lifting at the gym, I've only been doing Rippetoe's for two weeks now, and I look forward to each workout.

scrawnybastard
10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I've been feeling really sick and don't know if I should lift, please advise me over in the bodybuilding and weight training forum.

scrawnybastard
10-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I still felt a bit sick today, but definitely healthy enough to lift. I went in to the locker room, and unfortunately saw the butt of a naked old guy. :eek: Next time, I will walk straight to the scale in the locker room and not look down the aisles. Lucky there were some hot girls doing squats and leg curls to help give me a more pleasant image. Unfortunately as I type this, it's coming back to me.

I weighed in at 121 in shoes, so that equates to 119. So I've gained 10 lbs since I started on the 20th of September, 2 lbs for the bulking contest. I'm happy with my progress so far.

Breakfast:
2 pancakes
2 eggs, 2 strips bacon "breakfast potatoes"
8 oz oj
8 oz low fat milk
I had trouble eating this, and the fact that it was not prepares at its best didn't help. I actually couldn't finish all of it.

Workout:Squats 65 x4
95 x 4
110 x 5 x3 PR
Had to do this in the power rack, both squat racks were taken.

Bench
bar x 6
80 x 5 reps x3 PR
Yes, I know that's sad.

Deadlift
70 x 5
90 x5
120 x5 PR

Dips w/ 40 lb assist 8 x 2
My tris were on fire after these.
Post workout: Reese's fast break candy bar (270 cals)

scrawnybastard
10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Lunch:
Chili cheese dog
Waffle curly fries
20 oz raspberry iced tea
1/2 orange

scrawnybastard
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Dinner
1 large chicken breast sandwich
1 slice pepperoni pizza
8 oz low fat milk
1 small cheesecake type thing (The top half was cheesecake, the bottom half was chocolate)
1 small bowl chicken vegetable soup

scrawnybastard
10-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Also eaten during the day:
Nature Valley Granola Bar: 180 cals
Apple
1 sugar cookie

scrawnybastard
10-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Today's breakfast:
2 eggs, breakfast potatoes, 2 strips bacon
8 oz milk
8 oz oj
1/2 grapefruit
Also later on: handful of peanuts
Because of my schedule, I'll probably lift at around 4 today. This could mean a few things:
---Different crowd, possibly less serious
---Probably more crowded
---Possibility of witnessing real live squat rack curlers
Whatever. I can't wait to lift. I hope I'm always excited about working out.

scrawnybastard
10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Lunch:
Fried rice (2 cups?)
1/2 serving orange chicken w/ 1/2 broccoli beef

scrawnybastard
10-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Squats 65 x5
95 x5
115 x5 x3 PR
Overhead/Military Press
30 lb x 5
50 lb x5 x3
Dumbbell Rows
I couldn't do barbell rows with 55 lbs (crowded gym), so:
30 lb barbell x5
25 lb dbs 5 x 3
Assisted Chin-Ups, 34 lb assist 2 x8
I really had to force out the last 2 reps of the last set.
Roman chair crunches 2 x 10
Post workout, I had a cup of yogurt (170 cals), and a couple of those mini- reese's pb cups.

scrawnybastard
10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Dinner
Cheeseburger
Curly Fries
apple

RedSpikeyThing
10-11-2008, 09:35 AM
congrats on the weight gain. 10 lbs in less than a month is good work! And it looks like you'll be strong in no time....starting strength does wonders.

scrawnybastard
10-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Breakfast:
1/2 grapefruit
Omelet w/ cheese, ham, mushrroms, spinach
Mulitivitamin
2 triangles french toast
6 oz oj
8 oz milk

Pre-workout: banana
Post-workout: Reese's pb cups (230 cals)
Today's workout:
I weighed in at 123 in shoes, so that is really 121, so I'm up 2 lbs since Wednesday and 12 total! Despite that, I haven't noticed any physical improvement.

Squats:
65 x 5
95 x 3
120 x 3 x5 PR
I think I'm getting a little deeper on squats. Not quite ATG, but past parallel.
Deadlifts
I should have done these after benching, but this is a college gym, so they were all taken.
95 x 5
115 x 3
135 x 1 x 5PR
I have a really weak lower back, so it hurts afterwards, and its tough to add weight with the bar on the floor.
Bench
45 x 6
65 x 3
85 x 3 x 5 PR
The last rep of the last set was very difficult, I almost failed. I will still increase 5 lbs next workout.
Dips
I tried to do these right after benching. Big mistake. I was using 34 lbs of assist, 6 less than last time, and I couldn't even get one. I tried again after abs, but still struggled mightily. Maybe I should only bench for triceps, or it was just bad timing?
Ab work

scrawnybastard
10-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Lunch:
1 slice cheese pizza
8 oz low fat milk
1 cheeseburger
1 small bowl steamed vegetables
1 chicken breast
1 chocolate ice cream cone
6 oz oj/apple juice
Having my friend (who is a small girl, 5-5, maybe 110) eat more than me was a motivator to eat this much.

scrawnybastard
10-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Snack: apple
Dinner:
Large beef burrito (rice, meat, beans, cheese)
Tortilla chips w/ sour cream

scrawnybastard
10-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Now I know why they're called deadlifts...:(

scrawnybastard
10-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Breakfast:
1 bowl Cap'n crunch
Scrambled eggs, 2 strips bacon, breakfast pototoes
8 oz milk
Didn't have time to eat much else.
Lunch:
Orange Chicken
Chow Mein
Dinner
Ham and Swiss sandwich w/ sunchips 880 cals
20 oz soda
Snacks:
Granola Bar 180 cals
handful of peanuts
Peach
Banana
And I will eat another banana before bed.

Workout
Squat 45 x 5
65 x 3 (sets) x 5 (reps)
That's right, 65 lbs. I lowered the weight to relearn the form and go ATG, or ALAICPG (as low as i can possibly go)
Bench
45 x 6
65 x 3
90 x 5/5/4
I knew I would fail eventually on bench. I think I'll microload. The only way for me to do that is stick a couple of sets of collars on each side.
Deadlift
65 x 6
95 x 4
140 x 1 x 5
These are hard to add weight to/remove weight to.
I didn't do the dips today or the ab work.

Ben Moore
10-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Breakfast:
1/2 grapefruit
Omelet w/ cheese, ham, mushrroms, spinach
Mulitivitamin
2 triangles french toast
6 oz oj
8 oz milk

Pre-workout: banana
Post-workout: Reese's pb cups (230 cals)
Today's workout:
I weighed in at 123 in shoes, so that is really 121, so I'm up 2 lbs since Wednesday and 12 total! Despite that, I haven't noticed any physical improvement.
Squats:
65 x 5
95 x 3
120 x 3 x5 PR
I think I'm getting a little deeper on squats. Not quite ATG, but past parallel.
Deadlifts
I should have done these after benching, but this is a college gym, so they were all taken.
95 x 5
115 x 3
135 x 1 x 5PR
I have a really weak lower back, so it hurts afterwards, and its tough to add weight with the bar on the floor.
Bench
45 x 6
65 x 3
85 x 3 x 5 PR
The last rep of the last set was very difficult, I almost failed. I will still increase 5 lbs next workout.
Dips
I tried to do these right after benching. Big mistake. I was using 34 lbs of assist, 6 less than last time, and I couldn't even get one. I tried again after abs, but still struggled mightily. Maybe I should only bench for triceps, or it was just bad timing?
Ab work

With weight gain comes muscle gain and from that PR's are born. I bet if you were to compare pics you've changed...

Cmanuel
10-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey man keep up the good work! I see a lot of guys in your shoes get discouraged after only a couple weeks, but just keep telling yourself that the name of the game is methodical progression that takes patience! Just think how damn big you will be next year.
Keep up the good work.

scrawnybastard
10-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Breakfast
2 eggs
2 strips bacon
hash browns
8 oz oj
8 oz low fat milk
2 pancakes
I don't know if I even ate half that, I really have trouble eating in the morning, it just makes me feel sick.
Workout:
Squat 45 x 6
65 x 4
75 x 5 x 3
Military Press
I decided to reset with these.
25 x 5
40 x 5 x 3 Yes, I am that weak.
Barbell Rows
30 x 5
45 x 5 x 3
I deloaded during these, I didn't use the touch and go method.
Roman Chair Crunches 3 x 8
I have weak abs.
Post-workout:
12 oz chocolate milk - 300 cals, 16 g protein
Lunch:
Chicken Breast Sandwich 365 cals
Pepperoni Pizza 260 cals
8 oz low fat milk
small cupcake
6 oz pepsi
1/2 large baked potato w/ cheese
Dinner
1 slice pizza (w/ chicken, black beans, and corn)
1 vanilla ice cream cone
Chicken breast sandwich
8 oz milk
Snacks:
1 banana
5 oreos
I plan on eating another banana later.
Also, I only weighed in at 121 at the gym, which is the same weight as a week ago and one less than Wednesday. I weighed myself slightly later than usual, but this means I need to eat more, which I didn't do enough of over the weekend.

scrawnybastard
10-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Breakfast
Bowl cap n crunch
2 eggs, 2 strips bacon, breakfast potatoes
8 oz oj
8 oz milk
banana
Workout:
Squat bar x 6
65 x 4
85 x 5 x 3
Bench
bar x 6
65 x 3
85 x 1
90 + collars (I added them for extra weight) 5/3, then 90 for only 2 reps
It looks like I'm about to stall on bench. I'll use 90 next time and deload if I fail to get 3 x 5. I want to blame this on my lack of sleep.
Deadlift
95 x 5
115 x 3
135 x 1
150 x x5 (reps) x 1
I did some ab work, but I don't know what exercise to do.
Post-workout:

Jamba juice (280 cals) + 8 grams soy protein boost
Lunch:
1 slice cheese pizza
1 chicken breast
8 oz milk
French fries
8 oz orange/apple juice
The food selection was not great.
Dinner
Chicken burrito (685 cals)
Tortilla chips (140 cals)
I ate this with sour cream, so that must add some calories.
16 oz pepsi
Also eaten throughout the day
2 bananas
3 oreos (160 cals)
Handful of peanuts

scrawnybastard
10-27-2008, 10:02 PM
If anyone's been reading, I forgot to include Friday's workout, but I did in fact do it.
Today:
Breakfast:
bowl cap n crunch
2 scrambled eggs, 2 strips bacon
8 oz 2 % milk
6 oz oj
1 banana
1 jelly donut
Post workout
3 ritz crackers
6 oz yogurt
Lunch
1 bacon cheeseburger
bowl of apple jacks w/ milk
8 oz milk
8 oz soda
caesar salad with dressing
1 slice cheese pizza
1 slice peach pie w/ vanilla ice cream
Dinner
1 grilled chicken sandwich
vanilla ice cream cone
rice pilaf w/ chicken breast
8 oz apple/orange juice
8 oz milk
Also
6 oreos
Today's workout:
Squat
bar x 4
65 x 4
85 x 1
95 x 3 x 5
I'm raising the weight by 5, and need to work on my form.
Bench
45 x 6
65 x 4
85 x 1
90 x 5/5/3 I knew I would stall eventually. It might be a recovery deficit, but look at the last 3 workouts: 90 x 5/4/4, 90 + collars 5/3/ then only 90 for 2 . I'll ask a question in another forum.
Deadlift
95 x 4
115 x 3
135 x 1
165 x 5
This was tough. i think I'll try 185 next workout and stay with a mixed grip.
Decline Crunches 3 x 10 with 5 lb plate
I'll use a 10-lber next time.
Also, I weighed in at 125, up 16 lbs from my starting weight.

blacknapolean
10-27-2008, 11:17 PM
WOW, you are basically me when I started. African American, 18 yrs old, 5'8 and underweight! I'm 19 now and weigh about 145. I was heavier than you when I started (about 12?) Now I'm telling you that you can easily get up to 150 but you can't follow my mistakes.
Don't miss your lifting days.
Eat more food than you think is healthy, don't feel satisfied until you think you are actually getting fat. haha.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=106320

I'll keep a look on your journal if you do the same for me. ;-) Good luck, i hope to hear from you soon!

scrawnybastard
10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Today:
Breakfast:
Bowl of malt o meal
8 oz milk
2 eggs, breakfast potatoes, 2 strips bacon
8 oz oj
Post workout:
6 oz yogurt
Lunch
2 slices cheese pizza
Chicken w/ corn
Piece of cake
8 oz milk
Bowl of fruit loops w/ 2 % milk
Dinner
Chicken breast sandwich
Pasta
Roast beef w/ mashed potatoes and zucchini
1 chocolate chip cookie
8 oz milk
ice cream cone
Also throughout the day:
1 banana
7 ritz crackers
3 oreos
Today's workout
Squat
45 x 6
65 x 4
95 x 1
100 x 5/5/5
I need to work on form, but I can't take a video of it.
Overhead Press
40 x 6
50 x 5/5/5
I have really weak shoulders. I may have cheated a bit on this, but I'm going to try for 55 next workout.
Bent over Rows
45 x 5
55 x 5/5/5
Decline Crunches
10 lbs 3 x 10

scrawnybastard
11-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Friday's workout:
Squat
45 x 6
65 x 3
95 x 1
105 x 5/5/5
I need to concentrate on form.
Bench
45 x 6
65 x 3
85 x 1
90 x 5/5/5 PR
I am going to microload, rather than go to 90.
Deadlift
95 x 5
135 x 3
155 x 1
175 x 4
I tried at first to increase to 185, a 20 pound increase, but failed. I am going to try 175 again next workout.
Decline crunches:
12 lb dumbbell for 10 reps
10 lb plate x 12/12