PDA

View Full Version : DE bench deloading

roots
09-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Im wondering why it is necessary to have a deloading period for speed bench. is it always necessary to deload after 3-4 weeks, or can you just keep increasing the weight as long as the speed stays fast?

Travis Bell
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
who told you that you need to deload speed bench?

Lones Green
09-21-2008, 04:40 PM
i like to cycle bands for DE bench...but i don't deload it, maybe when i'm doing a deload week i will

RhodeHouse
09-21-2008, 05:39 PM
No deload on speed benching. My guess is, you don't need to worry about a deload for about 10 more years, no joke.

Travis Bell
09-21-2008, 06:03 PM
to the OP, whats your best current bench? Are you training raw or in a shirt?

For me, when I'm in my shirt cycles a deload means a go raw for a week so I'm still pushing fairly heavy weight, its just lighter than what I have been holding

When I'm in raw only cycles, deload does become more religious and tends to involve something like reverse bands or doubles.

For DE bench, I cycle my bands like Lones said or I'll go to straight weight

roots
09-21-2008, 08:36 PM
alright thanks guys. I was reading some articles on the westside barbell website and louie wrote about deloading for speed work every 4th week. As rhodehouse was saying its probably something only elite lifters need to worry about, but I still found it interesting. I've only been lifting properly for less than year, my max bench is only 260. I've switched to a westside type routine and so far i love it.

Travis Bell
09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Louie doesn't say you need to deload your speed workouts, only ME workouts

roots
09-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Louie doesn't say you need to deload your speed workouts, only ME workouts

I was reading the periodization pendulum wave article from the site, and he mentions decreasing the load on the 4th week for speed strength work. I'm still a little confused maybe i misread something.

jbrin0tk
09-21-2008, 09:21 PM
The wave starts over again on the 4th week, I believe. So if you were using 50, 55, and 60 percent for a three week wave, you would start over at 50 percent on the fourth week. Maybe this is why you thought it was a deload.

Travis Bell
09-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Yep, Jesse's got it!

Deload is for ME only. You can't really deload speed work, nor would there be any gain to it. DE work is not hard on your CNS. The purpose of a deload is to give your CNS a recuperation week.

I'm glad your reading our articles though! I know Lou is working on a couple more right now

roots
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Yep, Jesse's got it!

Deload is for ME only. You can't really deload speed work, nor would there be any gain to it. DE work is not hard on your CNS. The purpose of a deload is to give your CNS a recuperation week.

I'm glad your reading our articles though! I know Lou is working on a couple more right now

awesome, thanks. Jesse was right, I thought the pendulum wave had a deload portion. Actually while im at it, i have a couple more bench questions. First should I even be worried about deloading on my ME days, since I currently cycle between 3 different ME exercises anyway? I've only been using the westside routine for a month so far. Also, should I try lowering the bar to my stomach for more power, or is touching the bottom of the pecs fine?

Travis Bell
09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
For probably your first 2 or 3 cycles I wouldn't worry about it. After that deload every 4-5 weeks

I would try and touch the upper abdomen area, just below your sternum.

What are the 3 ME exercises you have been using?

roots
09-22-2008, 01:40 PM
For probably your first 2 or 3 cycles I wouldn't worry about it. After that deload every 4-5 weeks

I would try and touch the upper abdomen area, just below your sternum.

What are the 3 ME exercises you have been using?

I rotate between flat bench, incline bench, and 2 board.

Travis Bell
09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
do you have bands?

Travis Bell
09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
rotate your grips as well. This really allows for more ME exercises. For instance, 2brd comp grip is one ME exercise and 2brd with thumb length from the smooth is a second etc.

roots
09-22-2008, 08:15 PM
i dont have bands, but i will try changing my grip widths around.

roots
09-22-2008, 09:42 PM
another question for you Travis, I keep reading conflicting info on whether or not to keep my elbows tucked or flared when benching (Raw). Whats the best way?

Travis Bell
09-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Tucked. Flaring them tends to put too much stress on the shoulders (rotators specifically. Tucking them allows you to stay tighter and use your triceps and take a ton of the stress off your rotators

This doesn't apply to everyone, Coan is a good example of a person who can flare, but most should tuck. I'm much much stronger when I tuck raw

thewicked
09-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I am 100% behind everything travis has said. I have followed his advice and know from past experiences that what he says is DEAD on. Unless you're in a shirt, keep things nice and tight when benching.

drew
09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Deload when you need to deload. If you're using bands every week, your elbows are probably taking a beating, so it would be a good idea to deload. This means take the bands off.

If you're just doing straight weight every week and you feel like you need to take it lighter for a week or take a week off, then do it.

Other than that, you really shouldn't plan deloads for speed work.

NateD
09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I am 100% behind everything travis has said. I have followed his advice and know from past experiences that what he says is DEAD on. Unless you're in a shirt, keep things nice and tight when benching.

I also have to pipe up and say take Travis's word for it. If his lifts alone weren't enough to convince you, I can say he's been helping me with my training the past 2-3 months and my total has increased almost 200lbs in that time period, he knows his stuff.