PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Tudor Bompa

PowerManDL
03-29-2002, 05:31 PM
T-mag surprised me this week when they actually put up somethign worth reading-- an interview with Tudor Bompa.

Its definitely worth a read. Here's the link:

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/202bompa.html

chris mason
03-29-2002, 06:59 PM
It may surprise you, Powerman, to know that I have his book Periodization Training for Sports .

Yes, I read it...

Jeremy21
03-29-2002, 08:41 PM
T-Mag having a worthwhile article? Has hell frozen over? Gawd I hate that (online) magazine. The whole juvenile humor schtick gets on ya nerves after years of the same crap. The whole "what would T-Man do" mentality doubley pisses me off, especially considering the "T-Man" wrinkle is nothing but a clever marketing construct designed to play on the insecurities of 18-22 year old males (incidentally the highest supplement buying demographic) by creating a pseudo community. Making them feel bonded and cared about in their own subculture, when in reality, it is just a shrewed business move to milk them out of their money. People pay for emotion and coming off as a true friend who "understands" how young bodybuilders feel, and can promise never to steer them wrong, is one way to easily and quickly create consumers for a looong time. At one time they claimed 30 million hits a month on a regular basis... wow that's mighty impressive considering many of the most popular sites on the net (adult entertainment sites) can't claim anywhere near that much on average. Gee, might they be lying through their teeth? TC should be about a ripped 5,000 lbs considering all of the lean muscle mass he's gained from supplements (first EAS, now Biotest) over the years... Con-men extraodinaire they are.

Shane
03-29-2002, 09:37 PM
haha. I just the update in my email and saw that interview. I was about to stop by and read it. Chris, what did you think of that book? I don't have it yet, the only book I have by him is Serious Strength Training but they looked kinda similar when I was glancing through it.

Accipiter
03-29-2002, 09:58 PM
tudor bompa? that's got to be a fake name

Shane
03-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Uh...me thinks Accipiter needs some reading material.

Jeremy21
03-30-2002, 12:15 AM
It's his real name. Though it definitely does sound odd

body
03-30-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by chris mason
It may surprise you, Powerman, to know that I have his book Periodization Training for Sports .

Yes, I read it...

is that the one with a black blad guy doing the EMG tests?

Shane
03-30-2002, 02:01 AM
That's Serious Strength Training. Unless they use the same pics for both books.

body
03-30-2002, 02:35 AM
both by tudar bompa?

I got a book out from the libray by him, just trying to remember which it was.

chris mason
03-30-2002, 05:20 AM
The book was ok. I thought he contradicted himself on occassion, and that he was incorrect in some instances. That being said, I wanted to learn more about the concept of periodization and I always like to read "new" ideas (for me). It helps me to further round out my opinions on the subject.

PowerManDL
03-30-2002, 10:47 AM
Accipiter: He's Russian, if that helps you any.

Regarding the interview, I think he's definitely got some great ideas regarding the organization of training, and lifting in general. He makes some great points about application of both bodybuilding AND Olympic lifting methods to athletic training, in that the coach's background in one or the other usually sways their thinking when in fact other methods might be more effective.

Its like when someone comes here and asks for a program to help them with basketball or baseball or some other sport, and the immediate response is a three or four day bodybuilding split, complete with bi's, tri's, and shoulders for the cookie-cutter 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps, when in fact a more specialized approach using several other methods would be much preferable. The same thing happens with fans of powerlifting and Olympic lifting; I'm just as guilty of doing the same thing.

I dunno-- nothing ground-breaking there, really, but just a fresh and interesting perspective on the topic.